Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been re-watching DS9, lately, and it got me to thinking...did we ever see a Starfleet runabout-type vehicle (warp-powered dispatch vehicle) during the TMP-TUC era? We saw Spock's "long-range shuttle" in TMP, but that was a Vulcan vessel, not a Starfleet design. It may have been "Federation-registered", and the shuttle cabin, itself, does match the Starfleet design in use at the time (which I also don't care for), but the warp sled was definitely of Vulcan design, not Starfleet.

So...what might a TMP-TUC-era Starfleet warp-powered runabout look like?

·
Registered
3,003 Posts
I've been re-watching DS9, lately, and it got me to thinking...did we ever see a Starfleet runabout-type vehicle (warp-powered dispatch vehicle) during the TMP-TUC era? We saw Spock's "long-range shuttle" in TMP, but that was a Vulcan vessel, not a Starfleet design. It may have been "Federation-registered", and the shuttle cabin, itself, does match the Starfleet design in use at the time (which I also don't care for), but the warp sled was definitely of Vulcan design, not Starfleet.

So...what might a TMP-TUC-era Starfleet warp-powered runabout look like?
probably a lot like the Jenolan

·
Registered
5,781 Posts
I'm still not sure on the whole 'Vulcan Shuttle' thing. From stuff printed back in the day it was strongly implied it was a standard Starfleet shuttle and warp sled. The term 'Vulcan shuttle' came from the fact it was sent from Vulcan.

Now, there's been a fair amount of retconning going on, generally that it was a standard Starfleet shuttle but the warp sled was a Vulcan thing. I guess because it looks kinda sorta 'pointed ears' in layout as opposed to the rounded ski look of then-current Earth design warp nacelles. Then of course there's the whole "it's PURPLE!!" issue :)

(which would make an interesting model- modify the warp sled so the nacelles are more like the refit Enterprise. )
As to the original question, I tend to agree with Mr. Dalmaso, I think it would be much like the Jenolan. That was a nifty model. :)

·
Starship Class
12,081 Posts
probably a lot like the Jenolan
I think there is some controversy on that point. The Jenolan has several decks and is about 300 feet long (while the executive shuttle it was based on was only 25 feet) so it really is too large for a runabout.:(

·
Registered
557 Posts
Maybe if you flipped the Jenolan upside-down (so the cabin is oriented like the executive shuttle) and replaced the warp engines with the simplified shuttle engines from ST5?

·
Registered
5,781 Posts
I think there is some controversy on that point. The Jenolan has several decks and is about 300 feet long (while the executive shuttle it was based on was only 25 feet) so it really is too large for a runabout.:(
Yes, but assume older tech.

OTOH, if a standard shuttle is 'family car', a runabout being 'caravan' or 'camper', the Jenolan may well have been 'big bus' or 'mobile home'. :)

·
Banned
4,621 Posts
I'm still not sure on the whole 'Vulcan Shuttle' thing. From stuff printed back in the day it was strongly implied it was a standard Starfleet shuttle and warp sled. The term 'Vulcan shuttle' came from the fact it was sent from Vulcan.

Now, there's been a fair amount of retconning going on, generally that it was a standard Starfleet shuttle but the warp sled was a Vulcan thing.
Generally agreed. No reason the shuttlecraft and sled design couldn't have been something pretty much widely available to whoever wanted to purchase them. Rather like helicopters and aircraft purchased by both military and civilian agencies, but customized for each customer.

·
Registered
557 Posts

OTOH, if a standard shuttle is 'family car', a runabout being 'caravan' or 'camper', the Jenolan may well have been 'big bus' or 'mobile home'. :)
The shuttle was much smaller though. If you look at the filming model for STVI, there's 3 big Galileo-style windows on the front. On the Jenolen, that area is covered in greebles, and there's rows of little windows on the side.

·
Starship Class
12,081 Posts

Yeah, there could be a re-scaling of the Jenolen to achieve a runabout sized vessel. It's an interesting shape and good for the period.

It might also be possible to retrofit a runabout model kit to look like something out of the ST:TMP era.

·
Oxidation Genius
31,317 Posts
I just went thru this at TrekBBS - the Jenolan is huge, not runabout size. I still can't figure out why people think it was so small. Those are Enterprise-refit nacelles on it, and you can clearly see a refit-style bridge on it, and it has very obvious rows of windows showing its size. Here's a comparison between a 1/1000 TOS-E and a resin 1/1000 Jenolan model:

·
Registered
2,188 Posts
I just went thru this at TrekBBS - the Jenolan is huge, not runabout size. I still can't figure out why people think it was so small.
I'm convinced it is the shape alone that makes people think it was shuttle-sized. Also, since the other ship in that episode was the massive 1701-D, that made it look smaller too.

This is the first time I've seen it next to any other ship. Your comparison shots make one thing very clear...it's internal volume must be huge.

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
I'm convinced it is the shape alone that makes people think it was shuttle-sized. Also, since the other ship in that episode was the massive 1701-D, that made it look smaller too.

This is the first time I've seen it next to any other ship. Your comparison shots make one thing very clear...it's internal volume must be huge.
What confuses people is the fact that the Jenolan is basically a re-tooling of the Executive Shuttle filming model. If you do a search for pics online, you can see it is basically the same model, but the detailing on the Exec Shuttle gives it a completely different sense of scale.

·
Registered
2,188 Posts
According to Memory Alpha...

The Jenolan model was a reuse of the transport shuttle from Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country, albeit flipped upside down and with a bridge module and 23rd century style warp nacelles added. The original model was built by Bill George at ILM. (Michael Okuda, "Departmental Briefing Year Six - Production", TNG Season 6 DVD special feature)

·
Registered
3,495 Posts
I just went thru this at TrekBBS - the Jenolan is huge, not runabout size. I still can't figure out why people think it was so small. Those are Enterprise-refit nacelles on it, and you can clearly see a refit-style bridge on it, and it has very obvious rows of windows showing its size. Here's a comparison between a 1/1000 TOS-E and a resin 1/1000 Jenolan model:

Just a side note: Those are wonderful models!

·
Registered
5,781 Posts
You know, as horrible the AMT refit Enterprise kit seems to be to many people, it sure got a hella lotta use over at the TNG effects stage. :)

·
Registered
3,454 Posts
Thats funny.
Just the other day I was looking at one of my old Galileo kits, wondering what I was going to do with it.

Since its obviously a horrible class F shuttle, I thought about taking the front and building out the back and turning it into a 1/32 TOS Runabout.

I haven't grabbed any 18" engines yet to compare, but they seem like they might be the ticket.

With of course some modification so that they don't look too much like I ripped them from the 18" kit.

·
Registered
557 Posts
Here's what I drew up for a Heavy Lift shuttle which could be considered something like a runabout :)

What were you planning to do with the aft panel? If it's not going to be a cargo loading door or something you should make it into a big chunky impulse engine. It is a heavy lift shuttle, after all. :)

·
Registered
107 Posts
What were you planning to do with the aft panel? If it's not going to be a cargo loading door or something you should make it into a big chunky impulse engine. It is a heavy lift shuttle, after all. :)
I haven't really put much thought into it at the moment I'm currently working on a set of Blueprints for a Civilian yacht and Starfleet Courier that uses the hull form. When I get that project done I might come back to this one :)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts