Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Greetings all :wave:
I find myself in need of some assitance folks.
Right then, i have been trying to dig up some info on the 8' refit. Googled it all over the place on and of for the last week or so with no luck.

I may have missed it somewhere in the deluge of info but...

What me be after is some measurements, i've done some headscratching and shuffled the beads on my abacus back and forth a few times.
This is what i've come up with so far, just in need of some confirmation/correction or being told i'm way off and here's the right info etc...

Overall length, width and height of ship and parts as follows:

Ship..........Saucer..........Nacelles..........Secondary Hull
L 96".............44"................48"...................34 1/2"

W 44".............44".............3 3/4".....................10"

H 22 1/2".....10 1/2"............ 6"........................10"

On the saucer section height, i think that's about the height at center, at the edge i make it about 2"

Any info appreciated. Ta muchly in advance people.
Go easy

·
Registered
67 Posts
According to the book "The Making of Star Trek: The Motion Picture", the studio model was built to the scale of 1 inch equals 10 feet. Given that the ship was supposed to be 1000 ft. long, that would make the studio model 100 in. long (8 ft. 4 in.)

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Y'see this is what happens when i haven't read the books i should have :)

So 8' 4" is the length so that blows all the other measurements away then.
Oh well...why does no-one ever mention the extra 4 inches? :D

Thankies and go easy.

·
Registered
3,468 Posts
I've got the measurments written down at home so just say the word and I'll post them tomorrow if not later tonight. In case you're wondering I got the measurments from the catolog that christies published for the Trek auction after the owner of a local hobbyshop showed me the books, I then went back with paper and pen.

·
Registered
3,453 Posts
irishtrek said:
I've got the measurments written down at home so just say the word and I'll post them tomorrow if not later tonight. In case you're wondering I got the measurments from the catolog that christies published for the Trek auction after the owner of a local hobbyshop showed me the books, I then went back with paper and pen.
I was about to site the Christies book (not that I've got it. - I just saw on that History Channel special, they provided dimensions of most of the lots.)

So.....IrishTrek, would you consider posting the measurements of all the primary ships measurements??????? Please, please, please.

It would be a valuable bunch of info.

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes please irishtrek, i would really like to know those details.
Your offer is very much appreciated.

Thank ye kindly !

Go easy

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Excellent !
Ta ever so huge irishtrek...i have some re-re-re-pixelpushing & printing to do.

Still, i wasn't that far out the first time :D

Go easy

·
Registered
789 Posts
Griffworks said:
Great Googly Moogly! That's gonna be huge-o-mongous! :eek:
Think of the money he's gonna save on kit parts detailing! Bigger than the studio scale Galactica, but only about 3 kits for detailing!

The only help I can offer kit wise is unlike the Ktinga, and Enterprise B/ Excelsior style ships there are NO parts from the Vader Tie Fighter on the Enterprise.

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
When i get handed the challenge, i do belive it deserves a serious looking at.
Crazy as this one may be :)
Though the real silliness is probably not going to start untill end of this year or early '08 but that like all things can change.

Anyone happen to know the identity of any kit detailing parts used on the big E per chance?

Ta in advance for any info

Go easy all !

·
Registered
3,453 Posts
Borz666 said:
"You aint thinkin' what I think your gonna'?" -Sheriff J W Pepper
Well, its cheaper than buying the original.

At 1" = 10', that comes out to be 1/120 scale right?

While I know a lot of people like "Studio Scale", I myself prefer modeling scales and if I were to attempt such crazyness, I'd go for 1/144.

Then you can put people in the windows or on the hangar deck.

Or you could do it in 1/200 and still have people and the Vulcan Shuttle kit would be in scale as well.

Then do a TOS E in the same scale as your refit.

I hope you make this a kit.

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
I have to confess i am very much thinkin' what you think i'm gonna :) and quite true, it's certainly cheaper than buying the original.

So before we get into anything, i thought i'd just plainly state my main reasons for wanting to give it a shot...
To see if i can do this and i want one.
And that is the honest truth.

Now for the rest of the mentally and on paper figured out nonsense.
1/120th scale is correct from what i can see. As for interior detail, that would be a coin flip between just the VIP lounge/arbouretum/shuttle bay...or...all windows with something behind them.
Yet to be decided on that score and the decision point will be taken when i see what space i have to work with.

Figures and the like, also to be decided upon and if from scratch is the only way to go then so be it.
My main change from the studio model will be that it is NOT built as one solid model, break points being the dorsal seperation line supposedly for saucer seperation so may as well make use of that.

Also the nacelles will be attached to the pylons but pylons removable at the base.

Mucho use of carbon fiber and alloy reinforcement with captive nut and bolt assemblies. The impulse drive/crystal being a removable 'plug in' part to get access to the dorsal fixings. Deflector or side panels removable to get access to the pylon base fixings.
How bulky or otherwise the pylon fixings are will be decided by the shuttle bay.

All electronics with the necessary connectors for the seperate parts of course.

All that said though, i do belive it's not beyond my meager skills to give this a good shot and see what results but, that's for another time.
Somewhere about new year '08 is beginning to look like the time.

In referance to ClubTepes' post :
I will go along with your 1/200th idea and even as we speak i expect Big Jim Slade is slaving over a hot PC doing the next installment of his rather splendid 1/192 plans.

Maybe the fellow has the kit idea in mind, i know not but i'm willing to wait and see.
If yay then no prob, if not i will give it proper consideration assuming that someone on the boards or elsewhere isn't already working on one.

Failing that, anyone up for a most wanted large scale refit/TOS kit poll? :D

Go easy folks and folkettes.

·
Registered
983 Posts
Raytheon said:
All that said though, i do belive it's not beyond my meager skills to give this a good shot and see what results but, that's for another time.
Somewhere about new year '08 is beginning to look like the time.

That has got to be the understatement of the year. If your skills are meager, mine are non-existant.

·
Registered
303 Posts
This could be one of the most difficult subjects to recreate -- ever! The original studio model was a masterpiece, one of the finest miniatures ever made for film. In terms of complexity and difficulty, it's definitely one of the most challenging subjects out there. (My hats off again to Thomas for what he was able to do with the PL kit.)

I'd like to recreate this one as well. Well, I should say, eventually. There's just something about having a 1:1 recreation to a studio model that works for me. :) But I know I'm nowhere near ready for this task. I plan to "work my way up" by building several other projects first. My current project is a monster as it is, yet has no compound curves. I think something like a Klingon Cruiser might be a good next step. Then maybe an Excelsior or E-B as a "warmup" to tackling something like the TMP model. :D

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
swhite228 said:
The only help I can offer kit wise is unlike the Ktinga, and Enterprise B/ Excelsior style ships there are NO parts from the Vader Tie Fighter on the Enterprise.
Don't forget the -A. It had Vader TIE Fighter parts, at least in STIV. But the Refit didn't, so you're right, he's OK on this one.

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Well if i can ID all the parts from the refit & -A and where they fit in the grand scheme of things then that gives another option so that's all good from my perspective :)

Go easy

1 - 18 of 18 Posts