Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yet another question.. can you tell I'm just getting back into it?

Is there a reason why you would go with foam tires in some instances, and capped tires in others? Does it matter if its stock or modified? What do they run at the big races - regionals and nationals?

Also, at this local track I just found, they were using suntan lotion as tire prep! I'd never heard of such a thing. Is this common, or something only they do?

I'm really wondering if this one isolated track is an oddball group, or if some of the new stuff is common place.

The track is a banked Asphalt oval. If you are set up right you can run flat out with a stock motor. If your pushing, you have to let off just a touch.

They are running Greens in the back, blue's in front, and the afore mentioned suntan lotion. Everyone else I see on hear is talking about purples and pinks.

Thanks again for your help.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Erock, I can't believe you let this one slide by! LOL Now I know why I ain't got no traction on the carpet tracks.....I been using suntan OIL instead of suntan LOTION! LOL Q Ball, I ain't laughing at ya, you'll soon see that I'm the resident blonde dingbat and I just went through a three week arguement over foam vs. capped.

Typically, foams are run on carpet and caps are run on paved for all classes. However, I know there are some paved tracks that run foams but I've heard of no carpet track running caps. It's usually determined by the track owner what will be run on the track and hopefully, he/she is taking into account the amount of traction that can be had with foams or caps.

Then if the track is sanctioned by any of the national organizations, there are rules for what type tire can be run in specific classes. For instance, ARCOR runs SPEC labeled/notated tires in all the spec classes, but in the 19T and up classes, they use all sorts of colors of tires. That rule is pretty much dependant upon whether or not the track is sanctioned and how the sanctioning body sets up their tire rules.

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
Generally, caps are for banked concrete & asphalt tracks. Foams are for banked carpet & all flat tracks. Sun tan lotion is commonly used as a tire conditioner or cleaner & does work well on flat asphalt tracks. I'm very surprised that they are not running caps on that track. How high is the banking? If they don't allow caps, I would try the following:

RF - Purple
LF - Green
LR - Green
RR - Aqua or Grey

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok, maybe....

I didn;t take it personally! I couldn't believe it when I saw it. And to be clear this is on an asphalt track.

I'm in Texas, so I don't plan on doing much carpet racing. Mostly outdoors on asphalt or concrete.

So is it safe to say that at Norrca, Accor, and Roar races on asphalt and concrete it will be capped tires?

I'm trying to incorporate as much as possible what the big groups do, so that if I choose to go run a bigger race, I would be way our in left field, well equipment wise anyway!

·
Registered
327 Posts
Best thing to do would be to check out the organizations websites to be absolutely for sure. Each of those associations has a thread here on Hobby Talk under Oval Racing and it probably lists the websites. I know the one for ARCOR is www.arcor-rc.com

Good luck, and if you're ever in TN, we've got some fabulous tracks here!!!

·
Registered
4,551 Posts
cap tires depends on the track and the track suface.... it has nothing to do with a sanctioning body.... it all depends on what works,,, we run caps on our asphalt track.. it is high banked and fast.. cap tires last longer, and are faster.. but some track caps do not hook up.. so foams are used... and ive also seen suntan lotion used.. basically anything u can put on the tires to make them hook up works.. he he...

·
Premium Member
2,338 Posts
Q-ball said:
So is it safe to say that at Norrca, Accor, and Roar races on asphalt and concrete it will be capped tires?
yes.
At the big paved races it is ALWAYS caps. They don't have these races on flat tracks.

What's your track like? How big? How much Banking?
I should be able to get you started on what tires to get.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Brent,
Thanks for the input. I'm surprised they don't run caps as well. I'd really like to give them a try. Again, I want to be able to use what I would use elsewhere.

The track is pretty wide and banked quite well. Its a 1/4 scale car track that we race on. Here is a link with photos (although it doesn't show the 1/10 cars)

www.northhoustonspeedway.com

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
Yeah, I know that track. My cousin recently moved to Houston & I am planning a trip next summer to visit him & was wondering if they ran 1/10 scale there. I may see you there next summer.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
North Houston

Brent,

Last Saturday was my first time there. 6 racers, and sadly not much competition, but its the ONLY oval racing anywhere around me- and that track is a 90 minute drive.

I'm hoping by helping some others that are there, and recruiting some of my friends to race, that maybe we can get a competitive little group going.

·
Premium Member
8,569 Posts
if they are running foams you will have a tough time getting caps to hook up as the whole foam tire thing gets into the track and does not work well with the caps. If the guys there are using blues and greens and it's working you could use that but they wear much quicker than the pinks and purples. Personally I would try using purple on the fronts and pinks on the rear to start, if it's banked enough purple rears may work even better. I have heard of the tanning lotion being used as well as WD40 and some other things but if it is banked you may need nothing on the tires at all. Since you are going to race outside you could treat your tires with paragon ground effects without getting stoned on the fumes, it's good stuff and you may only have to use it once a day.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
caps

I don't think the others using foams would be a problem for the caps. Afterall, the primary use of the track is the 1/4 scale and their rubber tires. They'd keep any foam "marbles" blown clear I'd think.

I've used paragon before, yes its good stuff. and yes, I'd only use it outside.
I'm going to try the purples and pinks. I also want to try some caps. Any recommendations for capped tires (brand and compound) for a high banked, fast, flat out, aphalt track? Nothing extreme, just an intermediate starting point please.

·
Premium Member
2,338 Posts
Try BSR blue R's on the right side and green or pink S's on the left. All narrow except RR wide. This track looks similar to ours how the banking goes away in the straightaway.

·
Registered
6,711 Posts
20TN40 said:
Erock, I can't believe you let this one slide by! LOL.
Sorry Lisa didnt see this one, I took some time off from Hobbytalk yesterday eve so I could work on my pile of graphite, LOL I need to find 2 laps, LOL

I sent you a private message

Later
Eric

·
Registered
327 Posts
LOL Eric, I know what you mean! I finally found 2 laps by changing chassis but at the same time the rest of the field ALSO found 2 laps! You've got a PM right back.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts