Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
771 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There are many brands of tire warmers on the market. Do most people use them in Cap Tire racing and what brand would you recomend.

·
Registered
2,685 Posts
KLUPI said:
There are many brands of tire warmers on the market. Do most people use them in Cap Tire racing and what brand would you recomend.
I use mine all the time with foam tires and not because of the tempature.
I have found a way to soften the tire without compromising the rubber and adding to faster tire wear using the tire warmer. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
6,772 Posts
The way we udes to do it, back in the Stone-Ages. We took a box the the car would fit on, cut out holes for the tire to fit down into and put a hair dryer in the box to force hot air up and onto the tires. We only used them on the cap tires though.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Klupi I would say most use a heat gun, I've used both but went back to using my warmers thought my results were more consistent. Check with Hays and the guys at the triclone they are pretty experinced at that stuff

·
Registered
4,551 Posts
Klupi. just go pick up a decent 20 dollar heat gun.. The tire warmers work well, but with the caps we heat them up alot more.. Most guys heat them right till the point of smoking.. This helps soften them before the run, and helps with the first few laps..If you dont heat them the tires dont warm up fast enough, and you have to take it easy the first few laps..

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
burbs said:
Most guys heat them right till the point of smoking..

Wow Burbs, I thought your car always smoked just because it was so fast. :wave:

Ken,
As burbs said I would stick with the heat gun as its alot quicker and you can get them hotter. Its important to make sure you heat them evenly, usually works best if you count to say 10 on each tire and do that a few times and your good to go..... that is until sully puts his car down to 2 minute you :dude:

·
Registered
771 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Cool, I have a heat gun already, but I wasnt sure if that was the HOT ticket. Now if the weather ever gets better we can get out on the track.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts