Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got the new Integy Auto Tire Truer and when I opened it, I found it has an adjustment that allows it to true the foam in a cone. Soooo, that gets me to thinking. If I coned the right front slightly, then set the camber to place the tire patch flat, that would make a larger tire patch on the track potentially giving me better grip. I'm still new to setups on pan cars, and I consistantly run about 8 laps off of TQ, so I'm surely not any guru on setups. But, why would Integy offer the option if not useful? Any ideas would be helpful. Thanks

Jim McGuire
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My thinking is that the coned tire has a wider width as measured side to side, giving it more tire patch on the track. Thus "tricking" the car into thinking its riding on wider tires. To exagerate my point, the car "should" turn better on 5 inches tire patch than a 1/4" inch tire patch. Of course, my idea would only really add up a millionth of a millimeter in actual measured difference in width. Now, will that really make a difference, prolly not. But, again, why would Integy add on the option?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
450 Posts
Integy is into touring cars and I'd guess thats where you might use that option but what does this have to do with brushless
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,685 Posts
Fineousfingers said:
I've got the new Integy Auto Tire Truer and when I opened it, I found it has an adjustment that allows it to true the foam in a cone. Soooo, that gets me to thinking. If I coned the right front slightly, then set the camber to place the tire patch flat, that would make a larger tire patch on the track potentially giving me better grip. I'm still new to setups on pan cars, and I consistantly run about 8 laps off of TQ, so I'm surely not any guru on setups. But, why would Integy offer the option if not useful? Any ideas would be helpful. Thanks

Jim McGuire
I think Integy design that for pan cars with a soild rear straight axle.
You can true say the RR little to add camber where there is no adjustment.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
8,569 Posts
you hit the nail on the head! They camber cut tires on the full size legends cars as well
RPM said:
I think Integy design that for pan cars with a soild rear straight axle.
You can true say the RR little to add camber where there is no adjustment.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,856 Posts
Seems like this would only apply if you are running rear stagger and want to be sure your get a full tire patch because of the uneven ride hgt that results.

Echeconnee said:
you hit the nail on the head! They camber cut tires on the full size legends cars as well
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,126 Posts
tw78911sc said:
Seems like this would only apply if you are running rear stagger and want to be sure your get a full tire patch because of the uneven ride hgt that results.
Look at how your right rear wears. On a straight axle oval car it will always wear more on the outter edge, Cutting a very slight cone into the tire will even out the wear and put more of the tire on the track when its loaded in the corners. The reason you add camber to the right front is to get the full width of the tire on the track when its loaded in the corners.
Downside of coneing your Drive tires would be that less tire is in contact with the track on the straights under power.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks everyone. I didn't even think about the rears. Mine have always wore flat too. That may be a tweak I try sometime to try and "feel" the difference. btw: I put it in Brushless only because I race 'em, and I was in the area most.
 
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Top