Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
771 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the typical size that you stop running your tires at. I cut my tires to 2.225 to start. At what size do you call it quits with a tire.

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
every tire mfg is a little different do to rim size difference. BSR about 2.10 like he said TM about 2.06 if you have the ride height still left and the same on Murdock's.

·
Registered
3,581 Posts
for club races, you run till you hit the plastic, jsut adjust your ride height !!! i think with bsrs thats a little lower than 2.05.

·
Registered
771 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the imput, I have been throwing them away around 2.10. I made a mistake in my original mesage about the starting size. I usually start at 2.250.

·
Registered
2,790 Posts
Sometimes they will work below 2.10 sometimes not. When they are finally too small they don't go away gradually it seems to be pretty sudden that the car goes from being great to terrible. If you go much below 2.10 you risk blowing a qualifier or a main when the handling falls off the cliff. That is just what I've found.

·
Registered
2,790 Posts
Barooose said:
pmsinkins.
Just like a couple weeks ago, eh? Pushing the tires til they get too small.

Yup that was what I had in mind. With tires wearing as fast as they seem to now just planning ahead for how I want to use tires for a race day seems to be half the battle.

·
Registered
2,790 Posts
3wideroberts said:
Do you notice a lack of performance with a tire too big or a tire too small, if so what is the ideal size?

Thanks
There are lots of different opinions on what's ideal. I seem to have the best luck between 2.13 and 2.19. I start my tires around 2.25 typically for club racing though typically they don't see any actual races at that size since practice wears them down.

When they get too small there isn't any sidewall left and consequentially they lose a lot of bite. When they are too large the car will get around the track it just won't be as fast as it could be.

·
Registered
336 Posts
For club races, i have been running like 2.12 at the beggining and they wear to about 2.07 by the 2nd round then i put on some 2.13 or something in that ball park, and i wasnt sure if it was hurting me but i tihnk its hurting me now lol, thanks for the advice

3wide

·
Registered
854 Posts
My sk handles pretty well with any size tire. the main thing u might want to focus on is the weight % gained or lost with tire size. If I keep my car at or around 61% rear weight it seems to be pretty stable all the time. The last set I threw out were 1.985 LR and 2.000 RR CHUNKED

·
Registered
176 Posts
What about front to back tire size? Last week went to a BRL race in Fort Wayne Ind. and some of the guys were running taller fronts. What will this do to the car?

·
Registered
771 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I wouldnt think it would affect the car to much, I have had to run larger front tires and I didnt have any problems as long as the ride height was in balance with the rear.

·
Registered
336 Posts
I tried running from 2.10 to 2.25's and my car lost a lap, im not sure if it was because our track is so tight that the tires are actually flexxing causing it to slow down or, im not sure.

3wide

1 - 20 of 27 Posts