Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Banned
3,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First off, why is Halcyon's colored plastic so fragile and flimsy?

Second, if anyone suggest any tips on dealing with it, it would be appreciated. It's just so...fragile.

·
Never lost for words
2,123 Posts
I've built several Halcyon kits but never noticed any flimsiness. Which kit are you having trouble with?

·
Banned
3,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well, not necessarily "flimsiness" per se. Just feels, trims and sands weird.

I've done the Sulaco, the APC, Narcissus and Dropship. None of them seem to have as "good" styrene as something Revel, FM or AMT might have done.

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
The styrene used by them was slightly brittle...I remember building the Narcissus and recall it had a very glossy finish to the parts which was quite hard yet the centre seemed softer causing the outer 'skin' to chip when you tried to cut it.
Best solution is to cut as close as possible to the part then file or sand of the final stub.
If you think their styrene is bad though you should try building the Revell Dune kits which are moulded in the most brittle plastic I've ever encountered...it practically shatters when you try to cut it...

·
Starship Class
11,941 Posts
My Narcissus kit is very sturdy and well molded but it is not the same as most other styrene I've encountered. It seems a little "greasy" to me. Must be a slightly different formulation. Doesn't seem to be affecting its adherence to standard glue.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts