Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Both (separate collections)

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am interested in starting a diecast construction collection. I’m having trouble picking between 1/50 and 1/64 scale. There’s not as many options as I’d like for vehicles/equipment in either scale. I ordered a couple of vehicles from Diecast Masters to start with (1:50 scale). I’d like to get some regular cab work trucks and equipment trailers, but I wasn’t able to find much for that. I’m interested in smaller, older equipment. Old dump trucks, small dump trucks (six wheel) single cab work trucks, older skid steers, mini excavators, and semi trucks. I’m also looking for trailers that can be pulled behind a pickup, and an equipment trailer for a dump truck. I’ve seen the First Gear Bevertail trailer, but I couldn’t find a compatible dump truck. Any tips would be appreciated: what scale to use, where to find models, or where to find models that fit my “criteria.” I’d like to gather a nice collection, and use it in dioramas some day. Thanks!

·
Administrator
33,847 Posts
Welcome to hobbytalk @New to collecting

True scale 1:50 and 1:64 construction diecast as you have already found out are going to be limited in models available unless you use the internet to search for them. And they will run on the high side price wise. Both of those scales used together should work out okay though. You can use forced perspective in your dios to make the smaller vehicles in size and scale to be further away (deeper) in the dio where they would look smaller in photos and visually.

I am not certain what ERTL uses as their standard scale but most makers actually use the 3" scale rather than a true 1:64 scale. Which means most Hot Wheels and Matchbox are going to 1:87 or higher in scale size most of the time.

Greenlight has some construction vehicles in 1:64 scale. As does First Gear. Yat Ming made some older 3" scale constuction equipment.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Welcome to hobbytalk @New to collecting

True scale 1:50 and 1:64 construction diecast as you have already found out are going to be limited in models available unless you use the internet to search for them. And they will run on the high side price wise. Both of those scales used together should work out okay though. You can use forced perspective in your dios to make the smaller vehicles in size and scale to be further away (deeper) in the dio where they would look smaller in photos and visually.

I am not certain what ERTL uses as their standard scale but most makers actually use the 3" scale rather than a true 1:64 scale. Which means most Hot Wheels and Matchbox are going to 1:87 or higher in scale size most of the time.

Greenlight has some construction vehicles in 1:64 scale. As does First Gear. Yat Ming made some older 3" scale constuction equipment.
Thank you sir. I will collect both scales. And as you recommended, I will display them together using forced perspective.

·
Super Moderator
825 Posts
Good luck in your collecting endeavors. I prefer to collect 1/64 in my diecast of everything I can. I have a limited collection of construction equipment as a result.
As Milton has suggested, the forced perspective is a good idea.

There is a lot of good stuff out there, happy hunting and welcome aboard.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts