Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,392 Posts
Open the car up and enjoy it. That is what I do with all my hotwheels. :thumbsup:

Reactions: Diecaster62

·
Administrator
32,866 Posts
I have heard of the white glue process, but not just a water dip - interesting.

That would mean not having to look for a carded example upgraded for those in my collection with a soft corner or two. Might save some pennies for new things that way. :cheers2:

·
Registered
5,785 Posts
I have been buying diecast cars since the early 90's.....never opened a package yet... the packaging is half the coolness of the car, and its worth more than a opened car.
I completely agree with your thought process 100%.
I've been collecting almost as long and I have never opened one either.
Although I do have loose castings, those were given to me by people over time.

·
BANNED
8,243 Posts
NIP

hmmmmm, there are different ideas about collecting and maintaining condition.
there, surely, is room for all methods.
I am a slot car guy and I deal with different causes regarding originality going back into the late 50's.
yes, un-played with toys are worth more if you can find someone wanting one bad enough.
however, trying to sell a collection for it's imagined worth as NIP never occurs.
investing in toys as a retirement fund is not going to work.
personally, I drill the "rivet" off the bottom and use the die cast bodies to make masters for resin slot car bodies.

in closing,
for purists .... every time someone opens a NIP toy, yours gets a little more valuable.
:willy_nilly:

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
Open the car and enjoy it.
I set free most my diecast cars from the packaging including Hot Wheels. It's just easier for me to display and store them that way. Out of the over 700 pieces in my collection maybe 40-50 are still in blisters. Quite a few are just doubles or triples of ones I already have opened and want to either customize or pass on to other collectors in case they need something. I also tend to buy a lot of loose cars from various thrift stores around town. I can totally understand how many collectors like to keep them in the blister cards though and see it as just another part of the hobby.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts