Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2,149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking to buy a tiny electric motor but the RPMs are WAY to high and need to slow it down alot. So let me show just how much I don't know about electronics and ask is there a way to slow it down electronically? Such as adding a resistor maybe? I dunno :confused: Gear reduction is not an option here.

Look forward to hearing from the brainiacs.

Thanks,
HAL9001-

·
Premium Member
2,614 Posts
I am looking to buy a tiny electric motor but the RPMs are WAY to high and need to slow it down alot. So let me show just how much I don't know about electronics and ask is there a way to slow it down electronically? Such as adding a resistor maybe? I dunno :confused: Gear reduction is not an option here.

Look forward to hearing from the brainiacs.

Thanks,
HAL9001-
Yes, you can slow down a motor electronically, It's called PWM
(pulse width modulation), enough about that for now.....:rolleyes:
Need more info, how tiny, how much torque and what's the RPM you're hoping for??????

·
Registered
2,149 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, you can slow down electricity to a motor, kinda, It's called PWM
(pulse width modulation), enough about that for now.....:rolleyes:
Need more info, how tiny, how much torque and what's the RPM you're hoping for??????
teslabe, PM sent.

HAL9001-

·
Registered
2,149 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That's quite an inventive way to hinde the motor teslabe! Looks darn good too.

HAL9001-

·
Registered
20 Posts
I'm interested in finding a motor to spin the center radar screen on the Moebius Jupiter 2. You mentioned Goldmine Electronics. They have an assortment of motors. But I have no idea what kind of motor would be a good choice for radar screen in the Moebius Jupiter 2.
Here's the link: http://www.goldmine-elec-products.com/departments.asp?dept=1103

I sure would appreciate any suggestions about what kind of motor would best do the job. Thanks for any help you can give me. Alan

·
Registered
58 Posts
Just make sure to find one that matches your application. For example don't try to use a 10,000 RPM motor to spin something at 30 RPM. Reasonable motors should be no more that 10x the max desired RPM and the closer to the actual needed RPM the better.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Thanks, calamus, that's good to know. I'm secretly hoping (well, I guess NOT so secretly anymore) that someone says : "Buy THIS motor, it's just what you need." Because I know so little about electronics. Is there a motor someone could recommend that would be perfect for making the radar screen work?

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
Following an advice from Master Teslabe, I bought tiny stepper motors a year ago from a person online, because we didn't find that particular kind of motor anymore. Maybe Teslabe know some new spot.

When you use a stepper motor you are able to change the axle spin step to fit your needs.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Thanks, Fernando. Maybe I'll write Teslabe and see what he recommends. Does anyone know of a video showing the radar screen working via a motor in the Moebius J2?

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
You are welcome. I'm afraid that most videos and pictures were removed from the various threads here to make room for files attached in newer posts.

I saw a video from Teslabe. When it comes to tiny motors applied to Moebius Jupiter 2, Teslabe is the man.

·
Premium Member
2,614 Posts
You are welcome. I'm afraid that most videos and pictures were removed from the various threads here to make room for files attached in newer posts.

I saw a video from Teslabe. When it comes to tiny motors applied to Moebius Jupiter 2, Teslabe is the man.
Hi Fernando, I'm so very sorry for not responding sooner, the day job and other distractions kapt me from digging out the radar motors, just couldn't
find them.......:freak: they've just been mounted to the backplate in preparation for installation into the control console, not sure when I'll build my J-2, though I have alot of subassemblies built up and waiting......:p I'll
try to post a video of them in action this weekend, maybe.....:rolleyes: These are Stepper motors, it's all I use when I need slow speed for an effect. Now, before everyone runs out and buys these, they take driver circuits to make them spin, not just hooking them to a battery.

·
Premium Member
2,614 Posts
Lol... Did I count four soldering irons on your bench, pointing to the poor, tiny board? :)

Or are they something else?
Those are 4 oscilloscope probes, I'm monitoring the outputs from the motor driver circuit, looking for voltage spikes. I assure you I only have one soldering
station on my work bench......:p

·
Registered
20 Posts
Hi Teslabe, I wanted to ask you what I need to get the Moebius J2 radar screen spinning. Here's what I know so far: I need a stepper motor and a "driver circuit" to run it. Is there a certain brand/size of stepper motor that would work for this project? And what brand/size of driver circuit is compatible to the motor? Once you've bought those two things, how do you connect them? I apologize for asking so many questions. But any help you can give me would be much appreciated. Thank you!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi Teslabe, I wanted to ask you what I need to get the Moebius J2 radar screen spinning. Here's what I know so far: I need a stepper motor and a "driver circuit" to run it. Is there a certain brand/size of stepper motor that would work for this project? And what brand/size of driver circuit is compatible to the motor? Once you've bought those two things, how do you connect them? I apologize for asking so many questions. But any help you can give me would be much appreciated. Thank you!
Hi Arc60. I stumbled upon this side after about a week of searching for exactly the same thing. I just purchased something on ebay that might help me achieve exactly what you were trying back in 2008. I'm anxiously waiting for the item to arrive!
Can you tell me if you ever got to do yours? If so, what did you buy and how did you set it up in the model? Thanks!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts