Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an old Wizard tiller with a briggs 130202 5 hp engine. it runs fine when the tank is full or if I have the tines turning but as soon as I use about 1/4 tank and let off the tines it turns off and can't restart without filling with gas again. may be the screw under the needle vavle- anyone have any ideas?

·
Registered
750 Posts
hmm... maybe the fuel pickup tube is broken, chopped in half, or you dont got it at all. check that first. then if that isnt it follow your suggestion and check the screw under the needle valve, if thats all right maybe check the carb, maybe the carburetor is clogged a bit, or when you lift the tiller up and it stops, it may be that the carb is too weak to suck gas into the cylinder when tilted in an opposite direction the carb is flowing to.. please reply!

·
Registered
750 Posts
PS check carb for clogged things, or get a can of carb cleaner and clean, or maybe you got old gas in the tank, the new gas maybe floats on top and the old gas goes on bottom, once the good gas is used the old gas wont burn enough.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have the same problem that Wzbell described. I took my carb off and see that there is a long pickup tube that is supposed to pick up gas and dump it into a smaller resevoir that is mounted higher in the tank right under the carb. A second pickup tube is supposed to suck the gas out of this smaller resevoir and into the carb to be fed to the throttle bore. In my case the gas is failing to get pumped into this smaller resevoir and when it runs dry, the engine quits even though the tank is 3/4 full. There is a small diaphragm type pump mounted on the side of the carb which I suspect is supposed to pump the gas from the tank to the smaller resevoir and I dont think it is doing its job. Does anyone have any experience with this pump clogging or failing? The tiller refuses to start until I fill the tank completely. I have not yet taken the cover off the pump and am wondering if I should do that?

Sorry to hijack this thread but it seems like we have identical problems.

·
Registered
750 Posts
hmm ill check it out.. is your gummed alittle ? or is the diaphram too old/weak to suck it? next thing is maybe clean out the resivor and see if it will owrk.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts