Hobbyist Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
"Shutting an engine down at full throttle is a good way to wash the oil film off they cylinder wall and dilute the oil in the sump at the same time. Dumb idea is my opinion."

Here is a quote from another forum in response to my query about purchasing my Briggs and Stratton equipped snowblower without a throttle control. I tried to find a 10.5 HP machine last year with a throttle but no luck whatsoever. All machines came without throttles.
However, I recently noticed all the Powermore imports are now equipped with throttles.

·
Registered
6,116 Posts
The amount of fuel that enters the cylinder during the engine shut down is not going to be a factor in diluting the oil in the crankcase. It's too hot in the combustion chamber for the fuel to condense into a liquid, and it will just be moved out through the exhaust. The cylinder is oiled from the crankcase side, where there should always be oil, provided you maintain the proper level in the engine.

By all means, if you prefer a throttle control, then you should purchase a unit with one.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The amount of fuel that enters the cylinder during the engine shut down is not going to be a factor in diluting the oil in the crankcase. It's too hot in the combustion chamber for the fuel to condense into a liquid, and it will just be moved out through the exhaust. The cylinder is oiled from the crankcase side, where there should always be oil, provided you maintain the proper level in the engine.

By all means, if you prefer a throttle control, then you should purchase a unit with one.

Thanks for your reply. I feel somewhat better about it now having read your response.
I am very happy with my Briggs powered blower and I remember having a heck of a time last year trying to find a machine with a throttle control like my previous one. The manufacturer even tried to tell me that it was easier, especially in California to have one throttle speed in order to pass EPA requirements. Even though the Powermore engined machines have throttles, I think it best to stick with the one I have for the time being.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.