Hobbyist Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
6,355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today is the first day of summer vacation for me, so I celebrated by hitting the local thrift shops. In one of them, in a display case, there was that Ziploc bag of random toys for $5.00 we've all seen. But at the bottom, I could clearly see a TycoPro Chapparal. I asked to see the bag, picked these two items out of the bottom, gave the guy $5, and told him he could sell the rest of the bag to someone else for $5.

As I was paying, I mentioned that I'm always looking for slot cars like this. The man and woman behind the counter said they had just put a bunch of old toy stuff in the display window if I wanted to look, and even mentioned a big Tonka fire truck. I hadn't walked far enough down the block to see that display, so I went back outside and took a look just for curiosity. On either side of the fire truck were these:

Sadly, they both sported stickers saying "NO CARS". Still, I couldn't believe they hadn't thought to mention the sets to me. They wanted $10 each. After poking through them, I offered $15 for both. Done deal.

Here's what's inside the Sand Van set:

All the track is there, but none of the bridge supports, and one of the curves is damaged where the lock goes in. I went through the box and cleaned out all the random junk that gets thrown in a set box over the years, but I decided to leave this once I realized what it was:

My wife thinks I'm nuts.

Anyways, this is the inside of the other set:

All the track pieces are here too. I thought this was more interesting, though... too bad someone cut the corner off it:

This was also curled up in that box. There were a couple segments sprung out of line when I first took it out, but I was able to pop them back in and it looks like it would actually work (as well as this stuff ever worked, anyway...)

Summer treasure hunting has begun!

--rick

·
Registered
2,565 Posts
There's a hobby shop near where I fly that has an original flex track in it's original box with an unoriginal price. $32.00 I laughed at him. I pointed out that he doesn't sell any adapter track and the only cars he sells are 1/32 & up. I offered him $5.00, and he laughed back at me. That was 4 years ago. He still has the track.

Nice to open this time capsules. Thank you for sharing.

·
Registered
6,355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ok, I'm kinda dense -I guess. But what are we looking at in this photo ? That metal ribbon thingie ???
ok i guess i shoulda made that a little clearer... if you were holding it in your hand it would probably be more obvious, but the 2-d picture doesn't really do it. it's Christmas tinsel. i figured i'd leave that little bit of Christmas morning magic in the box, since (as p71 said) i look at these things kinda like time capsules...

--rick

·
Most Interesting Member
6,350 Posts
ok i guess i shoulda made that a little clearer... if you were holding it in your hand it would probably be more obvious, but the 2-d picture doesn't really do it. it's Christmas tinsel. i figured i'd leave that little bit of Christmas morning magic in the box, since (as p71 said) i look at these things kinda like time capsules...

--rick
Wow, that cool!!! My parents used to use barbed wire on the tree.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Summer is always A busy time for me with work. I'm jealous of your finds, seems like whenever I find some time to stop at a garage sale or thrift store I find like Chevy Cavalier cup holders and VHS movies and not much else

1 - 17 of 17 Posts