Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Banned
10,696 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I accompanied my girlfriend as we brought an old microwave to donate for a local church Thrift Shop. After lugging that monstrosity downstairs, I figured I'd take a peek and see if they had any die cast cars (hey, I earned it, that thing was heavy!!!).

Here's a look at what my George Washington brought home:

The semi is a 1/64 ERTL John Deere T600B Kenworth, that is already "weathered" and will hopefully be sent out to receive a full "PIP" treatment to provide the power for a PIP flatbed trailer.

Next is a very cool Jaguar XJ220, a 1992 Hot Wheels release according to the base. It's in great shape, and I love the deep black paint with beautiful gold graphics

Then there was a car I haven't ever seen in 1/64 die cast before; a Porsche 928 (chassis says Malaysia 1978). This one has a couple of chips in the paint, but I wanted it anyway

Last, while I know it isn't die cast, it's a piece from the childhoods of many of us. I was a huge Green Bay Packers fan when I was a kid, and this piece from Hartland Plastics has to be forty years old if its a day, and this particular one has absolutely no damage beyond a small chip on the figure's right elbow. As fragile as it is, I was amazed that this thing had lasted all these years and hadn't broken anywhere. Even the delicate single bar face mask was intact! I would have bought it for a quarter no matter what team it was, but being a vintage Packer, I had to have it.

Four cool pieces for a buck, in a Thrift Store ..... Dave Antonelli would be proud of me :thumbsup: :lol: :wave:

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Very nice,I especially like that porsche.

Unfortunately the thrift store in my town stopped carrying toys,but I really didn't find anything spectacular there anyway. Althought my friend got me a new-in-the-package cap and rotor for my slant six Dodge truck there for $1.00

·
Registered
2,340 Posts
That casting was used a lot longer than 1997. That actually came out in the early 90's if I remember correctly. The wheels is what made it a new casting I think. (LOL)

Actually, If you can find out when the XJ220 made the land speed record, that is when the casting came out. I remember seeing this casting back in 1988-89 and even Galoob had a "micromachine of the car"
So it has been around a while.
Richard
I'm not an expert on HW either but your Porche looks to be a repop also. The wheels are not the 5 spoke HW rim that came out in the 1970's. You can also find this car with the name "Predator" in the Ultra Hots of the mid 80's.
Great job on your score.

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
Great haul - congrats on the nice finds!

The Jag is my favorite of the cars, with a classy tampo design that doesn't even need to be removed.

And you can't go wrong with a 928, no matter what Mattel decides to call it!

·
Registered
269 Posts
That's a great Hartland Packers statue. I have a couple from "Gunsmoke", and "Roy Rogers". They're pricey. Out of curiosity, I did an eBay search, and some guy is trying to sell his for $400 to $450!!! What a great addition to your collection!

·
Banned
10,696 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Dave_anto364 said:
I am proud of you! Great finds and see you said once you never find anything there. Got to look!! Was that down your end or my end?
Thanks Dave, words of praise from a Master Hunter! They were from a tiny basement thrift shop run by a church in Portsmouth.

The Jag is stunning because of the gold tampos, that's what attracted me to it.

DakotaKid03 said:
That's a great Hartland Packers statue. I have a couple from "Gunsmoke", and "Roy Rogers". They're pricey. Out of curiosity, I did an<a href="http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-1751-2978-71/1?AID=5463217&PID=1606754&mpre=http%3A//www.ebay.com"> eBay!</a> search, and some guy is trying to sell his for $400 to $450!!! What a great addition to your collection!
What was he trying to sell for $400-450?
(This Packer figure stays with me regardless, I just was curious to see if I could brag to Lucy about the value of the .25 cent investment! :p )

·
Banned
10,696 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
1 - 14 of 14 Posts