Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
13,598 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A swap meet seller was getting ready to pack up and leave the car show due to the high heat and humidity (not to mention impending rain), so I caught him at a good time. He had already begun to break up a limited-edition multi-pack set earlier in the day, so I scored these three beauties (which he said were exclusive to that particular multi-pack) for $10. You guys out there who know Hot Wheels better than I do... Tell me: How'd I do?

I had to grab a version of the Vairy-8 that I didn't have, of course:

Chrysler 300-C, the 'Gentleman's Hot Rod':

I've always had this 'thing' for longroofs (and the dog with it's head out the back window is just COOL!):

·
Premium Member
9,268 Posts
Nice Car Show Finds Congrats.:wave::thumbsup:

·
Registered
739 Posts
Car shows and car auctions, i.e., Mecum events, are great places to score die cast. Last Mecum show I attended I scored three Greenies!

·
Registered
13,598 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I wasn't really into 'regular' diecasts until I came to HobbyTalk about a year ago. I got on the website to feed my plastic model car building hobby, but since I've collected Corvair diecasts and other toys just about ever since I've been into Corvairs, I thought I'd check out the diecast threads too. THAT'S what's gotten me into collecting in a relatively big way (That's relative to what I used to do, not relative to the way many of you guys seem to be into it). And I know roughly squat about what to look for, what's hot, what's not, values, what a "Super" is, what makes a "Treasure Hunt" special, etc. I generally just buy what appeals to me, but I'd sure like to learn more about the hobby. In the past, when I'd go to car shows and swap meets, I'd basically look through the diecasts looking for either Corvairs or cars like the ones I had as a kid. Now I look at just about everything that's out there trying to find the ones that appeal to me on a more visceral level, some with an eye to eventual modifications like wheel swaps, trim detail painting, or even complete custom paint. I've already been experimenting with tampo removal.

Anyhow, any pointers you might have for a relative newcomer to the hobby would be appreciated.

·
Registered
4,561 Posts
I just got the Boulevard GTO yesterday and I agree, it's great. Fits right with the Matchbox Vista Cruiser and the old MG and others that have dogs in them too. And I'm a sucker for a sweet 300 C. Even the current model on the market.

·
Premium Member
9,268 Posts
Nice Custom 1966 Pontiac GTO Wagon Find Congrats. I Got That Sunday at the Flea Market.:wave::thumbsup:

·
Registered
4,260 Posts
I wasn't really into 'regular' diecasts until I came to HobbyTalk about a year ago. I got on the website to feed my plastic model car building hobby, but since I've collected Corvair diecasts and other toys just about ever since I've been into Corvairs, I thought I'd check out the diecast threads too. THAT'S what's gotten me into collecting in a relatively big way (That's relative to what I used to do, not relative to the way many of you guys seem to be into it). And I know roughly squat about what to look for, what's hot, what's not, values, what a "Super" is, what makes a "Treasure Hunt" special, etc. I generally just buy what appeals to me, but I'd sure like to learn more about the hobby. In the past, when I'd go to car shows and swap meets, I'd basically look through the diecasts looking for either Corvairs or cars like the ones I had as a kid. Now I look at just about everything that's out there trying to find the ones that appeal to me on a more visceral level, some with an eye to eventual modifications like wheel swaps, trim detail painting, or even complete custom paint. I've already been experimenting with tampo removal.

Anyhow, any pointers you might have for a relative newcomer to the hobby would be appreciated.
CorvairJim pretty much says it for me as well.

·
Registered
13,598 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I just got the Boulevard GTO yesterday and I agree, it's great. Fits right with the Matchbox Vista Cruiser and the old MG and others that have dogs in them too. And I'm a sucker for a sweet 300 C. Even the current model on the market.
I bought the first MB Vista Cruiser that I saw when they first came out since I've liked them ever since I was a kid, but I kept it in the package so I never looked closely enough at it to see the dog. I know, weird kid, liking station wagons... I grew up watching the world go by from the back seat of a 427-powered '69 Chevy Kingswood Estate. That car was a woodgrained BEAST! I remember several instances of my dad flat blowing the doors off of mag-wheeled, side-piped Mustangs and Chargers, etc (when my mom wasn't along for the ride, that is... )!

And I remember the little green MG that I had as a kid wth the little doggie molded into it's interior very well!

·
Banned
4,640 Posts
"Anyhow, any pointers you might have for a relative newcomer to the hobby would be appreciated."..

The immortal words of wisdom..."buy what you like, like what you buy"..
there is no reason to try to get everything, i tried, and pretty had a meltdown over it...hahaha...you don't need treasure hunts or greenies or whites to be a collector, all you have to do is collect..oh, and Mattel is roughly translated to Satan, ender of the world in ancient lost sumerian.

·
Registered
13,598 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
That's pretty much the way I've been going at it, Craig. I mainly go with Hot Wheels, Johnny Lightnings, and Matchboxes due to availability and money, but I do have some M2 and others as well. I assume the "Supers", "Treasure Hunts", and others of that kind of thing are nothing more than limited production issues of what's already out there but with diferent colors of paint, different tampos, different wheels, etc. Am I on the right track with that? If that's all they are, I won't be going out of my way looking for them unless I catch wind of one that REALLY appeals to me: A Corvair, for instance!

·
Registered
14,324 Posts
Three exclusive color cars from a box set, without having to buy the set. You did excellent for $10. Reminds me of when I bought three '57 300C's, including that green one for a similar price.

A lot of cars get collected mainly because of a superficial or manufactured collectibility or rarity, i.e. chase, limited production, what have you. But that's more like a chore or a mind game. There is nothing like finding cars that really speak to your personal tastes, regardless of rarity. And when the "highly collectible and valuable" silliness doesn't even enter the equation. When it's all about what turns you on, that's where the fun is at! Even if the car is worth ten cents.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts