Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It seems like on any given year Mattel seems to use a lot of certain wheels. The lace wheels are my favorite (I think and I haven't seen them used in a few years.)

This year the hot wheels seems to be FTE2 (which I don't like except in maybe a solid black) or J5.

Any thoughts on why this happens?

·
Registered
14,324 Posts
FTE2 and J5 are two of the newer designs in the wheel catalogue, so it stands to reason they would slap them on a lot of cars. They just want to show off their new wheels would be my guess.

The SP5 and PR5 seem to be ever present because they're basic and go with a lot of different cars. The split spoke PR5 is way overused though imo. Especially on old American cars.

·
Registered
5,785 Posts
When ever they come out with a new wheel it always seems to be on every casting that comes out.
The lace wheels looks good on older cars, like the Tail Dragger which came out with them on last year.
They have used the J5 on a lot of castings this year, all of which look pretty good.
As for the FTE2's, I can not stand them. It has actually made me not get a car that I like because of those wheels.

·
Registered
4,561 Posts
When ever they come out with a new wheel it always seems to be on every casting that comes out.
The lace wheels looks good on older cars, like the Tail Dragger which came out with them on last year.
They have used the J5 on a lot of castings this year, all of which look pretty good.
As for the FTE2's, I can not stand them. It has actually made me not get a car that I like because of those wheels.
X2! Might be a nice casting sometimes but the wheels can kill it. Mind you, a lot of the folks on here are quick to do a wheel swap, but I haven't gotten into that side of things yet. So...the FTE2 type ones are just as much a deal breaker as when the back wheels are too large for the casting, for example on the 2012 version of the Firebird (the green and red ones).

·
Registered
12 Posts
some good points made about FTE2 wheels I do however have to jump in and defend them as I think they look great. Now i am seeing silver ones they look even better I have some wheel conversions planned and they will be even better than the bronze ones for what I want to do. They are very much a love or hate wheel even in real life.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Oh please tell me that 1:1 picture isn't real - they put those wheels on REAL cars?
Definitely real the ones pictured are aftermarket but GM Holden/ HSV make a set as well that are very similar called pentagons usually come in 20" and came out on the Maloo ute, Like I said they are love or hate even on real life cars.

·
Registered
5,785 Posts
At the last K-Day the Impala had the silver and bronze FTE2 wheels.
I talked myself into getting them only because I collect variations and there were so few of the chrome ones that I broke down and got them.
Other than those two castings there are no other cars that I have have them.
If I had the tools and know how I would do wheel swaps in the blink of an eye.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Fte2

I am trying to find a set that will fit the Chrysler 300C,so far everything is too small/big or the axle is too short. I will post pics as soon as its finished.

BTW,it has taken four separate 300s to get this all metal with black interior and tinted windows.

·
Registered
238 Posts
I was very happy to see UHs & HOs re-released on the 'Hot Ones' series cars...even though they're use isn't necessarily era-specific. I've found that the GHOs on the 'Large and in Charger' seem to help make it a decent track car.(As opposed to the BWs or RRs which were available on it prior.)

GspeedR :cool:

·
Registered
5,478 Posts
some good points made about FTE2 wheels I do however have to jump in and defend them as I think they look great. Now i am seeing silver ones they look even better I have some wheel conversions planned and they will be even better than the bronze ones for what I want to do. They are very much a love or hate wheel even in real life.

I knew that the wheels were real and ( yes they do get talked down on at Car Shows as they are one Fughly wheel ), but please tell me that a girl drives that Car... :lol::jest:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts