Hobbyist Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
1,423 Posts
Good read! I'll add some of my insights, too. I've worked mainly with Testors enamels and acrylics, as well as Tamiya acrylics.

The Tamiya paints have a low odor, and airbrush wonderfully. They don't do so well with a brush; if you have to brush them on, I recommend a Microbrush. I like being able to clean them with 91% isopropyl alcohol.

In terms of consistency, I've had the best luck with Model Master enamels. They go on great with an airbrush or a brush. However, they do give off a more objectionable odor, and require nastier chemicals for clean-up. They also congeal pretty badly if not used for a while. Model Master acrylics are much the same, though they seem to be a little harder to shoot with an airbrush, and of course the clean up with water.

I've also used the "House of Kolor" paints sold at Wal-Mart about five years ago. There are some pretty colors in that line, but they gas off for what seems like weeks at a time, are a bear to clean out of an airbrush, and require nasty chemicals to strip. I don't recommend them, and they'd probably be hard to find anyway.

· Registered
1,423 Posts
I had forgotten about Krylon. It's cheap, easy enough to work with, and yields decent enough results on a model. However, if you mess up or change your mind about a color, it'll require nasty chemicals to completely strip, and don't count on it too much if color accuracy is a priority.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.