Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Slotcar Fanatic
13,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Have a 87 El Camino that is hard to start after sitting for a couple of days. I believe the fuel is draining back into the tank because, all I have to do is pump the gas for a little and crank it once or twice and she fires up and runs fines all the rest of the day. Not being an expert, thought I'd hit you guys up to see if you had any ideas or could point me in a direction good or bad. The mechanic that had it for the state inspection said I needed a new carburetor. That maybe, but before I gave him the $600 dollars plus, I thought I'd do a little investigating. I didn't seem to have this problem until they "cleaned" the carburetor supposedly. :freak: Thanks! rr

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
I'm definitely no expert, but my guess is its in the carb, could be choke adjustment, fast idle, ect. Check and see if your getting 12 volts to the choke. If it checks out, I would check fuel pressure.

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
Road Runner, By any chance does it have a 4 barrel Quadrajet. They are known to have leaky float bowls where the feul drains into the engine really slowly... it's doing it on my '65 Cutlass too... Time to rebiuld or replace said carb.

·
Registered
200 Posts
If the Carb is old, then it's definately a possibility, but I'd lean more toward the Fuel pump, and the fuel pressure bleeding down over a period of time....

·
Slotcar Fanatic
13,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the input. It's given me a couple of things to check before I go getting that new carb. :thumbsup: rr

·
Registered
164 Posts
Just joined, so this reply is probably too late.

The older carbuerated engines all had a common problem. The carb is vented, and if left for an extended period, the fuel in the bowl evaporates. Turning the motor allows the fuel pump to refill the bowl. It's murder on batteries and starters.

I have 2 old farm trucks, and 2 vintage gas tractors that do the same. Fixed the problem by replacing the mechanical fuel pump with an electric one. Soon as the key is turned on the pump works without having to turn the engine. Fills the bowl, and all ya gotta do is pump it once to close the auto choke and she fires right up. Beats spending a few C notes on a carb.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts