Hobbyist Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On this week's episode:

I was excited to find a vendor that had a Visible Man kit for $2 and a MPC AT-ST kit, parts still on the sprues($2). I found a huge 18inch tall "Iron Giant" toy for $3 that can easily be posed, puttied and painted. I then was driving home and found a yard sale. I found a box of airplane models that didn't interest me but at the bottom was a Colonial Viper from BSG and under that was the all to beautiful Polar Lights logo. It was a Chrome Robby the Robot, sealed MIB limited edition of 5000. I paid $15 for the 2 kits. It was a good weekend of Flea Market finds so until next week, I'm XactoHazzard saying if you see it buy it because you never know when you'll see it again.

Travis

·
Registered
317 Posts
Gotta love that last line. Yep, when you see it, buy it.

Back in the early eighties, I saw an original Land of the Giants snake scene. It was complete, but the box was in poor condition.

I passed it up.....for........$17.00.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Flea Market

XactoHazzard said:
On this week's episode:

I found a huge 18inch tall "Iron Giant" toy for $3 that can easily be posed, puttied and painted.
Travis
I saw that Iron Giant toy at TRU when they were current. I thought I would buy one and seam it and make it a static display model. I put it back saying I would get it at a later time. I never saw one again! So yes if you see something you like and may want then you best crack open that wallet NOW!

Cheers,
Max Bryant

·
Registered
868 Posts
When ya sees it, buys it!

I once found an original LOTG Snake in a perfect box and an original King Kong. Both for $35.

But then I once passed on a Gold Knight that went for $15.

Sometimes I'm just not as smart as I think I am.

Jeff

·
Registered
7,695 Posts
The see it buy it department, in 1979 when STMP came out I saw the Phaser Game with pistol phasers. Said to my self next week I will get it, never saw one ever again,except in photos.

I need to check out flea markets this week.

·
Registered
4,741 Posts
OOO- OOOO!!!
I forgot! This guy at a local flee market had bagged SCREAMIN Vinyl model kits
of Jason Freddie, Micheal Myers and ASH!! I got the Ash on trade for some
DVD's and a godzilla figure! He was asking $20.00 each for them! I wish I had
the cash to buy them all! I now they're legit because screamin' had bagged
the remaining stock when they went out to sell as clearence. I believe another
company in NY has purchased the molds for these kits also.

·
Registered
7,695 Posts
My flea market find, it is not a model but I wanted it.James Kirk Enesco Cold Cast Collector' figure.The Enterprise and Fereration Banner were broken. As a collectors item I did not care about it, the price was $16.00. I wanted it because it was TOS. I glued the part together, and since the paint job sucked I am repainting.

To me it was a good find. I do not buy items to collect and make money on, just for my fun.

·
Premium Member
Models - Horror Figures and Science Fiction
6,044 Posts
Another take on "If You See It, Buy It!".

Here's an "I didn't buy it when I saw it" story with a happy (pretty much) ending:

A few years ago I was at an IPMS Region IV show in Dayton, Ohio. While the model contest judging was going on, I came across a vendor with one each of Screamin's 1/4 scale Flash Gordon and Ming the Merciless vinyl kits. They were mint-in-box and looked every bit like Buster Crabbe and Charles Middleton. But at $65.00 apiece, they were too rich for my blood.

I said to myself, "walk away and just be happy you got to see the kits; they'll be a pleasant memory".

As it happened, the next IPMS show was scheduled for the following weekend in Cleveland. Once again I went to the Vendor's Room. I headed over to That Vendor to see whether he had any other good figure kits and, yes, to sigh over the hole in his display where Flash and Ming had been. BUT - there they were! The cardinal rule of buying antiques had been broken! I had turned my back on the models but they had NOT disappeared.

I said to myself, "Somebody Up There likes me and wants me to buy these models".

So I ran to an ATM and beefed up my resources. I was even able to talk the vendor into selling me both kits for $100. "A savings to YOU of thirty dollars!", was what I told Mrs. McG. when I got home that evening.

There was that in her response which is what keeps this from being an entirely happy ending...

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
Hey, it's been awhile since I had a double post. Must have been due.
:D

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
After reading this thread I decided to check out a local weekend flea market, WOW! am I glad I did.

Sealed Snowspeeder for $1.00
Open vinyl Rancor for $5.00
Bagged Flash (Horizon?) for $10.00
Builtup Blue, Silver, and Red knights for 50 cents each.

Definitly going back again.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Just here recently I did a search on the 'bay for babylon 5 stuff. One of the items that showed up was a large resin kit of the Whitestar. Was rather pricey, but have since found out that it was worth it.

Turns out this kit which is about 21" long and 10" wide is one of about 100 made before Warner shut them down. Very nice kit. I even found a link to one that was built up.

Here is the link:

http://www.starshipmodeler.com/b5/wb_white.htm

This coupled with orthos of the CGI model now available and such, I think I found a rare one. In this case, built up correctly might just be worth a chunk more than the original kit.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts