Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,494 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://cgi.ebay.com/WHITE-LIGHTNING-1978-PONTIAC-FIREBIRD-PONY-POWER-2_W0QQitemZ180096820956QQcategoryZ19045QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.com/WHITE-LIGHTNING-1969-AMC-JAVELIN-SST-PONY-POWER-2_W0QQitemZ180096822552QQcategoryZ19045QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

i posted these pics here and over at lightning lane. these are my pics with my cars and my background yet this seller decided to use them for their own personal gain. i have contacted the seller and demanded that they be removed. i am awaiting a response.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
well i think ur out of luck the images wernt marked in any way to single them out so there is no way to prove they used ur pics

they could have just dont a pic exactly like yours so unless you have a copyright i think you got short changed

i think the seller should give you some of the proceeds from the auction though

report it to ebay and see what happens

·
Registered
4,793 Posts
I sent him a "friendly FYI". Told him I recognize the photo. Told him it's a serious offense using someone's photo without permission. I'll let ya know his response to that!

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
Pewter, they were NICE pics btw! They should not have used them though. I guess to lazy to come up with their own way to display their cars for sale. Good luck on getting them to pull the auction.

·
Mustang Collector
4,091 Posts
I AM ALSO A COLLECTOR !! I WILL ALWAYS BE HONEST WITH REGARDS TO STATE OF ITEM !!

Funny that this does not translate into them using a picture of the actual car they will ship.

-----It looks as if all of their pictures are taken right off of Lightning Lane not just yours.
----- Plus the 2000 Gt from X Men is not the WL version.

·
Registered
2,494 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i contacted ebay and let them know. i don't know if they will do anything or not but i have ran into a similar problem in the past with car parts where a seller stole one of my pics that i used to sell the parts on a message board. i sent other pics of the parts from different angles that i didn't post on the board and ebay closed the listing. i have similar photos that i took of these cars along with them being the original 6 mega pixle photos unlike the size of the ones that this scum has.

i hope they do attract bids as i will just have to let the bidders know that they will not be receiving the actual cars shown in the auction as the pics are of my cars. ;)

·
Premium Member
5,478 Posts
I emailed the seller about this as well. I've had alot of dealings with him recently, and he is a stand up guy (for what it's worth). He may have thought he didn't do anything wrong, I don't know. But I do know he is not scum. He packs very well, and sends the cars, and they are described accurately. He also communicated very well with me, and even saved up all the auctions I won, to save me postage. We also traded cars as well. He doesn't strike me as a thief. Like I said, he probably didn't think he did anything wrong.
Hopefully, he'll email me back with some sort of explanation tonight.

·
Registered
3,977 Posts
Does he have a camera of his own, or does he just search out photos on the net, I wonder? He might figure if it's on the net it's public domain. Lots of people get confused over copyright issues.

·
Registered
2,494 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
the seller contated me with an apology. he/she complimented me on my photos and mentioned that he/she could not do the same. although using my pics wasn't right, perhaps i was a bit harsh when i resorted to calling the seller scum. it just burned me up to see someone using my pics for profit.
wlpaul, i am happy to hear you have had good dealings with this seller. it seems those are hard to come by anymore on e-bay.

·
Premium Member
5,478 Posts
I think his wife emailed me, and said she ended them. His name is Johnny, and he is on the road driving a truck. Like I said, he is an awesome nice guy, and I recommend him 100%.:thumbsup:

I asked her to have him email me when he gets back off the road. (Hopefully, he'll find me some more cars to bid on)!!

·
Registered
4,253 Posts
You own the copyright to any picture you take, and have legal authority to allow or disallow someone else to use a pic. But, when you uplaod it to almost any image hosting site, you're also giving those rights to the site. I'm not sure if eBay does that, but it's quite likely.

Anyways, you can tell him to take them down, and he's breaking the law if he doesn't. You just have to prove that the pics belong to you, which could be tough.

And it seems this has been settled peacefully anyways, don't mind me.

·
Registered
3,977 Posts
What jedimario says is true with almost any form of art. Copyright takes place the moment you produce something. Filing copies with the copyright office is just an easier way to protect yourself and have proof that it's yours. Usually, photos like that with a simple theme of checkerboard and a logo from the product package though would never be worth the legal fees for anyone to fight it though because so many people have done such similar things. It would be pretty tough to prove because anyone with that car and a checkerboard could take a very similar picture, or may have even done so prior. Artists rip each other off all the time, making subtle changes or calling it an homage. It's in poor taste a lot of the time. With some of the new strict internet laws though, that seller might risk being penalized.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts