Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
3,003 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Today Norm and I are going to work on this sweet little fixer -upper.

Perfect for a single family, Pets welcome (workshop/dungeon/bonus room)

I have to say, this kit is a bunch of fun to put together. There is still some details to handle, The window inserts have yet to be installed and there are a couple spots on the foundation to touch up, but I thought y'all might like to get a gander at what the house looks like all put together.

There is no interior, but it's WIDE OPEN for any aftermarket furnishings.

Enjoy, discuss, dissect

·
Registered
219 Posts
Amazing kit!!

Been looking forward to this for a while. What's the latest on the box art and the release date? Any chance of a little spire over the center window? (not that we could'nt add it ourselves with a tooth pick end)

·
Registered
292 Posts
Nice work Lou. Too bad there isn't a backdoor and porch like in the series. Wonder why that detail is missing?
Bob

·
Registered
2,389 Posts
Nice work Lou. Too bad there isn't a backdoor and porch like in the series. Wonder why that detail is missing?
Bob
More than likely because, like any TV or movie set that you try and fit into an existing structure, you will have problems. The kitchen should be straight back from the front door, behind the stairs in the center of the house. That would mean the kitchen and the side porch would be sticking out from the middle of the back of the house. Beside the door would be the outside wall of the rear of the dining room. In the show, the kitchen door exits directly out the side of the house, with no rear wall visible.

Try building a model of the 2 story Brady Bunch house based off the 1 story ranch house they used for exteriors, then add all the sliding glass doors dwon the side of the house and make it look right.

This is just the drawback to trying to make one representation out of something that was originall several different mock-ups! :thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
2,826 Posts
I hope this will be on my workbench by Hallowe'en; that's the time of year I build "horror-related" kits, even though it was a sit-com (that I still prefer over The Addams family). :dude:

·
Registered
2,389 Posts
I hope this will be on my workbench by Hallowe'en; that's the time of year I build "horror-related" kits, even though it was a sit-com (that I still prefer over The Addams family). :dude:
I just wish I still had the train table in the basement like I had when I was a kid. Along with the school with playground, the depot, pink motel with pool, and mixed in among the houses along the tree lined street, I could have the Psycho House, The Addams' house and now the Munster's abode, all in HO scale! :thumbsup:

·
Curmudgeon
6,619 Posts
More than likely because, like any TV or movie set that you try and fit into an existing structure, you will have problems. The kitchen should be straight back from the front door, behind the stairs in the center of the house. That would mean the kitchen and the side porch would be sticking out from the middle of the back of the house. Beside the door would be the outside wall of the rear of the dining room. In the show, the kitchen door exits directly out the side of the house, with no rear wall visible.

Try building a model of the 2 story Brady Bunch house based off the 1 story ranch house they used for exteriors, then add all the sliding glass doors dwon the side of the house and make it look right.

This is just the drawback to trying to make one representation out of something that was originall several different mock-ups! :thumbsup:
Exactly right. This is another case of the interior sets not matching the exterior facade. Moebius' model kit is clearly based on the exterior facade on the Universal Studios backlot; they've simply added a back wall (that doesn't exist on the actual facade) without attempting to reconcile the interior and exterior differences. It seems to be the easiest way for them to "complete" the kit, and was probably stipulated in whatever agreement(s) they have with Universal.

On an unfortunate side note, the original facade has been altered for use on Desperate Housewives, and now bears only a slight resemblance to it's former glory. :mad:

BTW, any word on who will be producing HO scale Koach and Drag-U-La kits? :D

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
On an unfortunate side note, the original facade has been altered for use on Desperate Housewives, and now bears only a slight resemblance to it's former glory. :mad:
PURE SACRILAGE!!!! :mad::mad::mad:

I didn't know this thread even existed! I saw this the other night while browsing for HO scale brick sheeting for a studio scale X-wing kit that I hope to make sometime soon after the kit I'm mastering now. Either way, If it wasn't for the title - I wouldn't even recognize this as the Munsters' house. It's sad that black & white makes things look so different from colour! The exterior looks somewhat exaggerated from the look of the original house that I remember from the show.

~ Chris​

·
Registered
581 Posts
I just wish I still had the train table in the basement like I had when I was a kid. Along with the school with playground, the depot, pink motel with pool, and mixed in among the houses along the tree lined street, I could have the Psycho House, The Addams' house and now the Munster's abode, all in HO scale! :thumbsup:
Yeah, but you wouldn't want to get off at THAT stop.......

·
Premium Member
7,148 Posts
I'm aware of those, but they're 1:64 scale and look too big when placed in an HO scale setting.
I think they look pretty close to what a real vehicle would look like near a house...

The Characters in the window look a little big for the vehicle...but check out the front door, someone who would walk out that door would fit right the car...

I think they are close enough...

OK....Maybe not this one :p

Mcdee

1 - 20 of 54 Posts