Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 294 Posts

·
pancar schizophrenic
3,303 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so what im gathering from this, its ok that someone can pay $350 to get the best equipment, and everyone else has to suffer from it??? i personally dont think this thing should be legal. ya i know there are a ton of threads already, but this is really annoying. having the speedo for mod classes, ok im fine with that. but REALLY? going to allow that for 13.5? how are you going to get new ppl interested in the hobby if they wanna be competitive they have to spend a small mint to get up and going? can someone please tell me how that is fair? like i said, MOD classes is fine, but really? allowing that in 13.5 is just not fair at all, especially since the speed controller is obviously alot better than anything else out there. i personally would like to see a cost limit on electronics like this since not everybody can afford that. honestly though, if you really need to win a class that bad that you have a bigger budget than everyone else is your only way to win, seems like you have some issues, specially in 13.5 racing. i personally would like to see the thing banned at LEAST for 13.5, but i know ppl are going to be greedy and not go that route. and im sure your asking, who the heck is this maxxgullo guy anyway? im not really anybody, but the fact remains that i know im not the only one that feels this way...

·
Registered
6,772 Posts
What happens when Tekin and Novak catch up?

Ban those as well?

The Novak will be easier, but how are you going to tech the Tekin? Subject everyone to a software check?

Now, is the problem that the ESC is better or is it the price? If it is price, what about the Mamba?

·
pancar schizophrenic
3,303 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
im mostly concerned bout price. if there is a better speedo where anybody can afford it, then i really dont mind bout that. does it suck chasing after stuff, like the NiMh days with battery, ya, but at least its somewhat affordable to pay 125 instead of a freaking mortgage payment for one, and you can easily sell ur old one for some money...

·
Registered
2,150 Posts
So should we ban 400-450 dollar cars when they come out since they are currently 300ish?

I dont see anyone complaining about new cars or tires every week for a year to race. If you look at everything it takes to race Speedo's and electronics are what are bought the least of any item in RC.

EA

·
pancar schizophrenic
3,303 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
my ksg gen 3 was 365, so i wouldnt complain about a 40 dollar increase, but a 150 increase on a speedo? kind of ridiculous i would say. to each his own though, if someone wants to be like the Yankees and just pay to win, then i guess thats the thing to do. yes, i do try and buy the best things i can to help me win, but im not gonna pay that much even though it makes such a HUGE difference in speed. i guess noone is gonna agree with me, just the ppl that have them i guess are going to be against what i say...

·
Registered
2,150 Posts
No there are plenty of people that agree with you. I was just playing devils advocate....after all someone has to do it! :wave:

And no I do not have one of them.

EA

·
pancar schizophrenic
3,303 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
haha its all good. im sure if i was rich or had more sponsors AND i ran anything other than 13.5, id prolly get one! hypocritical, ya, but i like to think for the "average joe" and try to let everyone have a fair and level playing field. guess i just dont like it cause im running 13.5 only, dont wanna c that thing in there or in any of the lower classes. just doesnt seem fair i dont think...

·
Registered
6,772 Posts
Oh come on! Have you forgotten all the money you have saved on Dyno's, lathes, brushes, springs, comm drops, the newest motor and battery every week? Ok maybe not the last two.

$400 is nothing compared to all that other stuff you had to carry in the brushed days. :D

·
Registered
4,277 Posts
Its kinda like the Tekin we had great racing in 2 cell then the Tekin came out and had an advantage mabey in one cell its not a factor but in 2 cell it is.I was done racing just bought a new TC LRP and was pretty much pi$$ed I had to spend more cash to catch up so I sold all my stuff.Then we started racing the one cell so I thought great I will buy a Tekin and start over now its worse new batts comming,new esc.Makes me want to though my stuff in the trash and buy a RC airplane.

Its one thing after another with this stuff ,dam I just got word on how to charge my packs up to 4.22 now more stuff to get caught up on work on the chassis my a$$ its more like work on how much voltage and how long you can make it last .

Man I love pan car racing.Guess its time to have fun a lap back.:thumbsup:

Jake

·
Registered
551 Posts
ok I saw this post & had to click on it. what speedo are you talking about ?? just curious guys I'm in the dark out here in the middle of the country. Thanks for the info

·
Premium Member
1,648 Posts
This new AE speedo is "bolt-on power". People will pay for that. Right now, they know that they can charge $350 and $400 for it because of the demand. The good news is, the high price may be short lived. Rumor has it, LRP and Tekin may have an answer for it in a couple of months. The new Novak Kinetic might have flashable firmware like the Tekin. This could allow the Novak to compete also. If someone beats you with a $400 speedo today, you can beat them with a $200 speedo (or free firmware upgrade) in a couple of months :)

·
Registered
6,611 Posts
my thoughts is 350 is a little much. but with the advent of updatable software. all you really need to do is buy it once. so what i see is a speedo company trying to make up for lost future profit.

kind of like what is going on with lipos. street price for a single cell is like 60-70. what do you guys think a lipo really cost to produce? it sure aint that much.

·
Registered
925 Posts
Seems to me the logical thing to do is let these guys bash each others wallets into the poor house. If they want to spend that kind of money for the big races, let them. Just keep it out of the local club racing. If your going to participate in any of the so-called major events, then you do so knowing what it's going to take to be competetive. My concern is that this filters down to the local club racing, and if it does you will certainly see people say good-bye.
The future growth of this hobby is not with the Pro-racers, it's with the ability of local clubs to attract and retain new blood. I'm fairly new to this hobby and maybe a bit niave, but I think it's in the best interest of the local clubs to get control of this before it turns into anything more.

Greg

·
Registered
2,671 Posts
lol i'm done for tonight. The Pile has gotten bigger since the pic haha
I have to be up at 5:30(am) lol to reformat a server....YAY not fun

1 - 20 of 294 Posts