Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
You know......I listen to collectors complain about some of the cars that Mattel shoots out. "Why did they put this out it's not realistic", "It's to cartoonish" or even "Not even a kid would play with this". They Bitch and complain because it's not what "they" like. I will say this, in the past few weeks I have found the Mystery Machine, the year of the dragon car, Angry Birds red Bird and Green Pig as well as a few "real" cars. I made sure I picked at least enough up for my 3 grand-kids and myself. Tonight they were over and to see the excitement on there faces when they opened and played with the bird car, the pig car and the lizard car (there words not mine) I thought I wish those complainers could see this. This is why they make this stuff. It's not to please collectors it's the kids.

So the next time you look at something Mattel puts out and want to complain about it.............try looking at it through a kids eyes. ;)

Wish I had a thought to take pics.

Just my 2 cents :wave:

·
Premium Member
10,287 Posts
I agree. None of the other lines cover as my collector/play areas as HW

·
Registered
14,324 Posts
Actually they do it for the money. :lol:

Everybody knows they're toys intended for kids. But we as collectors actually have a lot to be thankful for. Because the adult collector demographic has actually been acknowledged. And we get cars marketed specifically to us. 25-30 years ago, adults collecting diecast would have been viewed more as an eccentric hobby... Okay maybe it still is. But back then, we were not marketed to. No RLC specials, no Boulevards, or Vintage Racing. Or M2's and Greenlights for that matter. Those are all for us! So we should count our collector blessings.

On the subject of kid's though, I will say that even when I was a tike, I like the more realistic stuff. The more real it seemed, the more fun the car was. I may have looked sideways at a rolling green pig back then too, but that's me.

·
Registered
19,875 Posts
I was about 10 in '73 when Matchbox started making strange and unrealistic cars.
I hated them and would cruise old hobby shops for new-old-stock.
But lotsa kids love them and that's fine with me!

·
FnF: Fords n Ferraris
7,829 Posts
As a kid I didn't like the unrealistic HW and definitely disliked the Toppers

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
My 2 yr old loves the shark car ( I actually do too but I originally went to college for marine biology) but even the new T. rex car is pretty cool too and he likes that.
While many of the fantasy cars are not my particular cup of tea, there sure are a metric ton of them in my house because my daughter buys what she likes.
The angry birds are a hit too. I gave 4 of the pigs to my sons sitter for her kids and one for her, some to my buddies kids. I give them to anyone who thinks they are cool and likes angry birds. I pick them up when I see them just for that purpose. Lol. That was a great decision on mattel's part. Just bought 4 more last night for spares. They are super fast on the tracks too.

·
Registered
2,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The angry birds are a hit too. I gave 4 of the pigs to my sons sitter for her kids and one for her, some to my buddies kids. I give them to anyone who thinks they are cool and likes angry birds. I pick them up when I see them just for that purpose. Lol. That was a great decision on mattel's part. Just bought 4 more last night for spares. They are super fast on the tracks too.
I noticed that are pretty fast on the track too.........but........not so good with loops :freak:

·
Registered
3,787 Posts
When I was a kid (born in '66) my dad would always buy me matchbox cars with the occasional HW mixed in. I LOVED drag racing and hot rods/customs, etc so the early HW were always my favorites but I enjoyed the realistic trucks and stuff from MB too. My 2 favorite HW were my original redline Light My Firebird and King Kuda. I had them restored by Newjon a few years ago. They were in deplorable condition. I had painted them with model paints, magic markers and they had damage all over. They now sit in my display case looking as good as new thanks to Jon. They are my most cherished pieces and if I ever "sell out" those 2 will remain with me.

·
Registered
242 Posts
When I was a kid, I used to like the real looking cars.. .thats why I loved the 25 pack yatming cars when I was kid.. the were based on real castings.... back then I wanted HW cars, but were to much money for my cheapo parents, but the yatming 25 packs were ok.... man I wish I still had those cars......but I think the cars that collectors like myself complain about, are not the PIGS, angery birds, Shark Cars, those cars are actually fun and i have bought them for myself cuz they are kinda cool for some wierd reason, but its the badly tampoo cars, the ugly wheels, the HW track Cars (although they do have a purpose, the track) these are cars I would not purchase as they dont fit in my world... I think thats what we complain about. just my .02

·
Registered
14,324 Posts
I would agree that cruddy/uninspired tampos are more of an issue with collectors than the existence of fantasy cars, which have always been around in some form or another. The addition of uneccesary stripes and other markings that you just want to rub off anyway. And the exclusion of real world details that would please both adults and kids alike. Such as more detailed grilles, and lights.

@ Rattlehed, beautiful cars you have there. And the fact that they're the very same cars you played with as a kid is priceless. They're legitimate heirlooms.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts