Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Model Murdering
7,331 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This was a mutilated tan stake bed that had clear kids nail polish with green glitter on it. Nice! :rolleyes: The bottom cab plate was scribed out so I can paint properly. By rotating the cab plate 180 and reinserting, the forward axle position can be used as the screw post position is offset on the plate.
Pic-1 Shows the tentative cab position after shortening and re-indexing
the cab plate.
Pic-2 Shows a good idea of the new ride height. An HO man could
refuel the saddle tanks without a ladder, unlike the original! LOL
Pic-3 Is the obligatory butt shot. The installed warped rear mount
is purely for horizontal reference as this project proceeds.

I had a glut of AJ's wheels piling up, and so far I like the look. The final bugs have been worked out of the "6 By" chassis. Among other tweaks, stiffening the front pickup springs really brought the beast to life. It accelerates good and will brodie the corner when provoked. :p
So far so good. I was thinking car hauler, but the bed height is now compromised by the lowered cab. Maybe a tanker or some sort of crew truck? If all else fails a revised stake bed will be the fall back.

·
Model Murdering
7,331 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Progress on Wood

As long as I'm hoggin' it up: I've usually got a few things going at once while I'm waiting for Vitagoo to cure and paint to dry. I've got a bad habit of over fiddling with things that aren't quite dry yet! :p Some progress has actually been made on my woody project since the original mock up photos were posted.
Pic-1 Shows the Hot Wheel motor with vibrator hotrod pipes installed.
The heads were angle drilled with a pin vise and the pipes slide deep
into the valve covers where they are secured from below. They look
delicate but survived some violent testing. :thumbsup:
Pic-2 Shows the head on view of the old school axle beam. The chrome radiator core was scuffed off horizontally with 180 dry. Although not apparent in the crappy pic, the 180 grooves look more like a real core.
Pic-3 This was a bit of a production. The original woody gets narrow
right after the forward cowl. The cowl was pared back requiring
the top to be lengthened and the sides to be widened and lengthened, as well as a down roll on the
forward top section. The extension is a one piece unit formed from
a scrap Camaro roof by scribing and folding like a box. All the seams were gooed up. The final relief for the motor was cut out after the cowl was bonded to the body and had thoroughly cured. The cowling will now cover the exposed forward section of chassis.
The woodster's wheelie pick ups were completed during testing. This car is hilarious. It bakes the tires while wheelstanding down my 11' straights. The woodster is fast and handles surprisingly well in the turns in spite of the extended wheelbase and floating pickups. More pics when complete/dry.

·
Model Murdering
7,331 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
TX Street Racer said:
Hey Bill, that Woodster is incredible!

I'm also diggin' on the big rig......how about turning it into a beer truck? :thumbsup:
Thanks Brain. I'd sort of stalled on the Woody 'til Kevin Masters posted that great photo gallery from the plastic model constructors. Then the light bulb came on, and I could'nt wait to finish it!

Beer truck! LOL. I knew if I threw it on the table, someone in this group would pull me out of my funk. :wave:

·
Registered
4,010 Posts
Hey, Bill!

Thanks for sharing these beautiful customs as you build them, eh! Posting a completed custom pic and a bit of a blurb on what it was built from is great, yeah, but when we show the hours and work that goes into these cars, it really generates appreciation for the art, skill, vision and patience required. (how was that for a run-on, eh?) heh! I applaud your enthusiastic approach to our hobby, mate!
Thanks for taking the time to share! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
Bill Hall said:
Beer truck! LOL. I knew if I threw it on the table, someone in this group would pull me out of my funk. :wave:

Heck yeah man, I'll one day build a Tjet beer truck.......

LOL, just think, a whole group of guys together racing thier own custom Beer trucks sporting thier own favorite brand of beer :thumbsup:

·
Model Murdering
7,331 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Next victim please!

joez870 said:
Hey, Bill!

Thanks for sharing these beautiful customs as you build them, eh! Posting a completed custom pic and a bit of a blurb on what it was built from is great, yeah, but when we show the hours and work that goes into these cars, it really generates appreciation for the art, skill, vision and patience required. (how was that for a run-on, eh?) heh! I applaud your enthusiastic approach to our hobby, mate!
Thanks for taking the time to share! :thumbsup:
Ah Joe! Kind words as always. Really 'Twarnt nuthin to it, 'cept the waitin'! I guess in an effort to be thorough I blather on about the tribulations with my lil' cars. I roughly figured about 17 hrs so it was probably more like 20+ hrs to complete the Woodster. I used almost every part of that crushed Woody in two cars, and plan to use whats left (the louvered hoods) in an HO scale version of Scratch's latest 1/32 Hotrod.

Here's the final pics. One of them came out OK.

Pic-1: I see the yellow super two magnet peaking through, I'll have to magic marker that sucker. Not sure about the booger on the windshield. It's the camera.

Pic-2: The bug scoop came off an open wheeled Lola car I killed a while back. Sorry Coach :rolleyes: I'll send the carcass for proper burial. The windshield was left stock other than a height modification. The radiator shell was part of the hotwheel dummy motor. It's made from that darn greasy plastic and took more time to paint correctly than all the other painting combined!

Pic-3: The weird black think hangin' down is a hollowed out hotrod hub for a wheelie stop/limiter. It's mounted with the longer volks screw into an old Aurora black Lola rear screw post. I left the upper flange on the post. It's all rock solid and has survived a few good tumbles.

Dun deal. I'm off to mock up Brians(TX) beer truck idea, a drop axle yellow hotrod I restored and a nice but rear wheel well butchered FB stang thats been fryin' in easy off.

Thanks to all for the kind words and playin' along!

·
Model Murdering
7,331 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks VJ, High praise from a master. I'm humbled. I'll always remember seeing your wonderful creations, flawless paintwork, and awesome photography for the first time.

After finding and joining Hobby Talk I realized how high all you guys set the bar.

·
Premium Member
3,424 Posts
I have a cheap digital camera and the only way I get close without getting a fuzzy pic is to use a tripod. Anyway, keep up the good work!

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Wow! These are true customs in every sense of the word!

I really like the fact that you try and utilize other slot car spares in your work- it kinda' keeps it in the family...so to speak-

The Woodster is just one slick looking ride! :thumbsup:

I'm blown away with what you did with the truck--talk about innovation! :thumbsup:

You are quite the talent- My hat's off to you sir! :thumbsup: :)

keep em' coming!

Cheers..

1 - 12 of 12 Posts