Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm on the fence because I want to get in to another hobby. I've got nearly 1k JL, HW, MB cars from '96 and up. Some older but the bulk are from then and newer. One thing I'm really worried about is how to set a value on them. I know I have some cars like TH Hot Wheels, mistake JL cars, etc that are worth some $ but so are a lot of my other cars. All my cars our mint but are not on card because I had a custom cabinet made that holds around 700. I like to handle them. With care, of course and no dust is allowed.

I guess I'm asking how I should go about placing a value on them? I don't want to place them on EBay on a car by car basis and I don't want to look each car up on the internet for value and I don't want to take pictures of each, blah, blah. Can anyone recommend a way to determine value in an easier way, if possible.

·
Registered
211 Posts
My buddy just bought 8000 HW Mainlines carded for .10 each they range from 1988 to 2003.

Cars in bulk aren't worth a lot, and loose usually even less. I would contact a small shop in your area and find out what they would give you.

Also most places have an Antique mall type place where you pay a certain rent each month and put your stuff in a display case. They sell them for you.

·
0 Posts
dba-one said:
I guess I'm asking how I should go about placing a value on them? I don't want to place them on e.bay on a car by car basis and I don't want to look each car up on the internet for value and I don't want to take pictures of each, blah, blah. Can anyone recommend a way to determine value in an easier way, if possible.
Cashing out of mint loose diecast won't get you much overall considering the hassle involved. Why not keep the cars and start a new hobby too? :)

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
1A62 said:
Cashing out of mint loose diecast won't get you much overall considering the hassle involved. Why not keep the cars and start a new hobby too? :)
That may be what I do. I see no reason to give any of these away. I can just pack them up and forget I own them for twenty years if I have to. i don't think I have some million dollar collection or anything but I do not want to throw anything away.

·
0 Posts
dba-one said:
I can just pack them up and forget I own them for twenty years if I have to.
I hear you. Much of my diecast has been in storage for a few years at least.

Just lately I've started to organize the stuff, one box at a time. It's been a real joy re-discovering the 'treasures' tucked away. :hat:

BTW, my bro is into target shooting. He tells me it's a lot of fun. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm looking to getting in to the target stuff but I want to use a hand gun. To me it seems like more of a challenge. That is another subject though.

I do have a custom made cabinet for the cars that matter so I know where everything is. I keep my Mopar's together, 'Vettes, etc. I've got a lot of stuff but the Mopar are the cars that I really care about.

I did figure that as things stand I'd end up loosing money if I sold them. I'm sure My JL's will do nothing but increase in value. Most of my HW are First Editions and I've got some variations. All may be loose but all are mint. Maybe someday I can dump them for a tidy sum but it seems today isn't that day. No biggie

·
FnF: Fords n Ferraris
7,829 Posts
You might see if you get any anyone to bite at doing some type of trade between your collection and a firearm. Target shooting would be fun though I would probably go the rifle route with a AR15, Garand, or Reminton PSS/VS.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I would certainly consider a trade but it would have to be someone local. You can't just send a gun in the mail!

·
FnF: Fords n Ferraris
7,829 Posts
You just ship via firearm dealer. I bought a rifle once from a guy in Florida and he shipped it to my FFL dealer. Definitely more of a hassle but could be done. I might be interested but all I have up for trade is a Entreprise FAL (hardly the tack driver you would be looking for).

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
That is neat. I've considered a rifle but I'm staying with the handgun for two reasons. The first is that I feel it is more of a challenge target wise and the second reason is concealment. That whole Katrina madness that occurred got me to thinking. I live in an area where a hurricane could hit. If some crazy stuff went down here, I'd rather have something easy to hide.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts