Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Banned
10,696 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Went to a KB store that I hit maybe just once a month or every 6 weeks. it's the closest one to me since the one in town closed a year or two ago. It's in an inside mall, and as I walked across the mall, the signs hit me like a thunderclap:
LIQUIDATION SALE

That's right folks, another KB bites the dust, and of course it has to be the one nearest to me, right? And now, I'll have no reason to leap frog down to the most remote WM in the entire state of Rhode Island (tiny as that is), as it's simply too far to venture to from home without that KB in between here and there.

The store closes the end of this month and just a few Johnnie's remained. I kept alive the tradition of buying one Johnnie from a closing store, as a momento (at 50% off);

Where once there were twelve, there are now just three. I know you're saving expenses KB, but how is having fewer places for customers to buy a good thing?

·
Registered
723 Posts
Sorry bout your KB ,love that chevelle,I wish they would do it in cortez silver black top and strips,I dr.olds once owned one,one of lifes many regrets,should have never sold it.

·
Registered
123 Posts
:cry: the KB store near me went belly up the same way ( it was also inside a mall ) , I did manage to get two white lightnings ( poker cars ) for .79 each, but when I was finaly able to get back to buy more , the yard sale wolfs and flea market hounds beat me to them.. the good news is the I have two KB outlet stores near enough to me that I still have a chance to score a few good deals.... :wave:
wayne james ( MODELOCAR )

·
Registered
999 Posts
I feel your pain. The KB outlet store in our little strip mall is also closing. That's the place where I firstdiscovered Johnnies (the old Hot Rod series with the Frankenstude, Rumbler, and so many others), where i found my first white (a Funny Car Legends Radicci & Wise) and where I found many Matchbox 1/43 scale collectible after Mattel took them over.

I feel their pain, too. I was never sure why that store was there, or how it stayed open for the 8 - 10 years that it did, because other than Christmas, there were never many customers. Good for me, bad for them. Now that it is closing, I have to mark it up to the cycle of life and accept that I have one less place for impulse buying.

Que sera, sera (which roughly translates into "que so what, so what).

Mike

·
Registered
12,344 Posts
A mall KB near me just closed suddenly as well. Used to be 15 KBs in my county, now there are 4 to my knowledge. They just can't compete with the big boys. Anything new was always more expensive there. Why? I remember countless times hearing people walking out saying they can get the items they desired cheaper elsewhere. KB was too slow to realize this and is unfortunately feeling the effects. Either they can't compete, or chose not to. Either way, it's not a good thing to see so many outlets close.

·
Registered
4,530 Posts
R.I.P., another KB. I've seen many close down now that I have become numb. I used to travel a lot with my job (San Diego, Norfolk, Hawaii) and I knew where every KB and TRU were at and would make the time to go pay a visit. What used to take a whole weekend day now takes about 4 hours and most of that is in traffic since they are so spread out. And here in Mississippi, we not only lost our KB at one of the local malls, we lost our TRU, too. We have no Targets or Meijers, and Hobby Lobby does not carry JL anymore, so we're stuck with Wal-Mart. And they don't order complete sets!
Oh well, I better quit ranting and get back to werk.

·
Registered
3,552 Posts
I just went to the local KB in Plainville - no liquidation sign out, but it's getting awfully empty in there. They did get in a box of Poker cars - first new ones since Thanksgiving - which I got three of for $.79 each.

Got my first white there, hope it doesn't close but it looks like that's the case.

·
Registered
2,030 Posts
70XR7 said:
I just went to the local KB in Plainville - no liquidation sign out, but it's getting awfully empty in there.
I make the long drive to that one 3-4 times a year.
If it closes its doors, I hope you let us all know... especially me. :tongue: :wave:

·
Registered
133 Posts
I saw a sign for KB in the Sears store directory near me, but couldn't find in the 2 minutes I had to look for it. I just thought it was strange to have a toy store inside of Sears

·
Registered
7,693 Posts
I popped into a KB today (a little out of my sales territory so I don't go often). VERY quiet in the store. At the JL section were the usual Poker Series cars. :( But, my peepers don't work well close up without my reading glasses. I picked up a '51 Merc and thought, "That's odd, I thought this car had chrome hubcaps". Put the specs on and saw that the reason was that the centers of the wheels were fuzzy green! Hardly a WL to get excited about but a WL found in the wild just the same! :thumbsup: ;)

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Speaking of KB's, there is one store in a nearby mall (about 15 minutes away),about two years ago after christmas,I went there and they had all the store closing signs up and everything,I ended up getting some disconted JL's there. Well a month or so later I was back at that mall for some reason,and apparently they had changed their minds about closing up or something,even had a sign up explaining it.

That was a new one on me....

·
Registered
255 Posts
Consider yourselves lucky, the one at my mall closed about 3 yrs ago. And like some of you I also got started on my JL collection there as well. It's the only stop that I pu my 1 WL '70 Cuda from the rag tops series. I was still wet behind the ears then and I didn't even know that it was a WL till 6 months after I had it :freak: PS I do know now ZF

·
Registered
12,344 Posts
DadsCoronet said:
I popped into a KB today (a little out of my sales territory so I don't go often). VERY quiet in the store. At the JL section were the usual Poker Series cars. :( But, my peepers don't work well close up without my reading glasses. I picked up a '51 Merc and thought, "That's odd, I thought this car had chrome hubcaps". Put the specs on and saw that the reason was that the centers of the wheels were fuzzy green! Hardly a WL to get excited about but a WL found in the wild just the same! :thumbsup: ;)
Nice find, I found the same one a few months ago at a KB, one of the few that are still open near me. :wave:

·
Banned
10,696 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Dadvball said:
Rich, which one was it?
Wakefield
DadsCoronet said:
I popped into a KB today (a little out of my sales territory so I don't go often). VERY quiet in the store. At the JL section were the usual Poker Series cars. :( But, my peepers don't work well close up without my reading glasses. I picked up a '51 Merc and thought, "That's odd, I thought this car had chrome hubcaps".
Prolly more like "Is this supposed to come with Green Wheels?", I bet ;) :p

·
Registered
4,792 Posts
DadsCoronet said:

I found one of those awhile ago, too. So I know the feeling.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts