Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
674 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I know I have mentioned several times in different threads how I believe that the first to come out with a diecast "Cartoon" Muscle Car was Matchbox. Here is a pic of why I say that...keep in mind the very first issues of these castings were sometime in the early to mid-'70's...way before even Hot Wheels got the idea. I'm not talking about in-house customs...I am talking about exaggerated muscle cars in action doing what they do full tilt much as Dave Deal and Big Daddy Roth used to draw back in the day.

I think these are very compatible with my Muscle Machine collection...or more properly, my Muscle Machines are compatible with my Cosmic Blues / Red Ryder collection!

Attachments

·
Registered
319 Posts
juantoo3,
Thanks for your pics of what you have referred to in your posts. Would like to see more of if you get the chance.

This is not to differ with you, don't really know the whole background on but, this may be along the lines of Zingers. This "look" was being done with 1:1 cars on the strip & street back in the day.

The upcoming Grounders are not so much a continuation of the Car-toons look that MMs replicated in die-cast form. Looks like what is on Rohan Day's website though, hadn't the time to fully look into, will just have to wait & see.

Thanks again,
SJ

·
Registered
674 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Don't forget about the Brown Sugar!
I need to dig my Brown Sugar out of the display cabinet. It has a few flea bites, but overall pretty good shape, I would say 8 - 8.5. I'll see what I can do if I remember, got a lot going on.

Wasn't there one called White Lightning as well from the Roman Number set? Only saw a pic once.

I stand corrected:

Lightning Rod

source: http://www.shabbir.com/matchbox/picgall/picmisc.html

·
Registered
674 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
juantoo3,
Thanks for your pics of what you have referred to in your posts. Would like to see more of if you get the chance.

This is not to differ with you, don't really know the whole background on but, this may be along the lines of Zingers. This "look" was being done with 1:1 cars on the strip & street back in the day.

The upcoming Grounders are not so much a continuation of the Car-toons look that MMs replicated in die-cast form. Looks like what is on Rohan Day's website though, hadn't the time to fully look into, will just have to wait & see.

Thanks again,
SJ
I don't have any problem with people disagreeing with me. In a field like collecting so much is individual taste anyway. It is my humble but informed opinion based on looking through diecast for a number of years that I come to the opinion I have. Maybe you see it different, and that's OK too.

How does one count the Mini HaHa or the Flying Bug? I don't have either one, but I think they would both fit reasonably well in with the whole "cartoon" diecast genre without any problem. Stretching it a bit (in my opinion) might be the RC tributes to the Ed Roth / Rat Fink artwork, of which I have an early '50's Studebaker in another cabinet, but the car itself is pretty much stock other than the garish pink color and the detailed Rat Fink character on the roof.

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
The first issues of the cartoon Chargers from Matchbox were the "Big Banger" and "Pi-Eyed Piper" in 1972.

Many collectors seem to prefer the realistic regular-wheel Matchbox vehicles of the 50s and 60s to the cartoonish 70s toys.

·
Registered
674 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The first issues of the cartoon Chargers from Matchbox were the "Big Banger" and "Pi-Eyed Piper" in 1972.
The same names were used in the Premiere 13 edition anniversary repops done in 1995-6 just before Mattel took over, the loose blue one at the bottom of the pic is one or the other, I get them confused. Since I like both it was never crucial to me to distinguish them from each other. Same casting anyway, differing only in the details.

Many collectors seem to prefer the realistic regular-wheel Matchbox vehicles of the 50s and 60s to the cartoonish 70s toys.
Ah! No accounting for taste now, is there?

Many collectors also have a bit broader scope and range of appreciation for artistic talent.

There is a fine line between toy car collectors, and wrench heads who happen to collect toy cars. ;) :)

·
Registered
674 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I like Zingers too, and for the same reasons.

(Because they are squishy in the middle...) Ha!

·
Registered
674 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Cool! That makes you just a few years older than me. So you probably remember the Odd Rods trading cards?

In 1969 the Odd Rods® series was born.

While still in school, cartoonist B.K. Taylor began sending samples to various outlets in the hopes of being published. Strangely, and to his surprise, the Donruss Company contacted him, asking for art for a bubblegum card series. Strange, because he hadn't even included this company in the original mailing!

Regardless, this was the beginning of what would become an American phenomenon. Bizarre creatures in weird dragsters, funny cars and rods were drawn and sent in to the Memphis office of Donruss.

Kids across the country discovered the Odd Rods® cards and began peeling them from their backing and sticking them on everything -- bikes, jackets, books and, to the frustration of many angry mothers, bedroom doors, walls and windows!
source: http://www.oddrods.com/pages/history.html

From this kids' (me) point of view, the Odd Rods were a shining moment in the whole "Rat Fink / 'Car'toons / Dave 'Big' Deal" automotive art genre.

·
Registered
781 Posts
I know where there is a brown sugar in the package for about $5 right now. I saw it at a local store the other day. Probably should have picked it up.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts