Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm a new guy so I'd been reading some of the Polar Lights historical stories and I came across the Yama's Hawg story. I checked out ebay and lo and behold, there's one up there (but Polar Lights isn't mentioned in the title). I fought back the obsessive/compulsive urge to be a completist (I think I would kind of like models that I can actually open and put together) and figured there might some older (in modeling years) people out here that might have missed it.

This isn't my auction so I think I can post about it here without causing some kind of problem. The guy's starting bid is $105 or something like that and I think it's coming up tomorrow but it might be worth that much to someone on here. And I'd feel bad if I read someone really wanted one but never saw it out there.

Good luck.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Just to make things clear (--to those that might not know already)...there is no actual kit inside the box. It's just parts and sprews from various PL kits. It is/was a spoof/joke kit at the time. PL did produce it...but it's an inside joke from that time..given to HT-PLBB members that attended WF 2000...and everybody was totally aware that got one. Lisa, from PL, did say that one of the kits contains a complete Green Hornet- Black Beauity kit. But that's yet to be discovered.

·
Premium Member
7,148 Posts
Cool, I've got one (MIB):p and just from shaking it I can tell it's a box of sprue, but it's a cool item to have:thumbsup:
Can you post a link when it hits Ebay?
Mcdee:)............and BTW...Welcome to HobbyTalk!!!

·
Registered
803 Posts
I have one, too. Being one of the "old-timers" that was in on the "Yama's Hawg" joke/kit. After Lisa had told me of the joke and how it came about, I offered to make an actual model based on the box art. It was presented to the real "Yamahawg" at Wonderfest.

Since I work at a hospital and have friends in x-ray I really shouldW take my kit to work and have a look to see if I have the "Black Beauty" in mine. If so, would that make it any more valuable on eBay? LOL!

·
Registered
662 Posts
I've auctioned off quite a few of my prized kits over the last two years to raise some cash but I'd never, ever, part with my Yama's Hawg Kit. That is the one kit that will go with me to the grave.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I saw the photo of your model, Hooty. It's fantastic. When's Moebius going to put it out? I'll pre-order it.

·
Registered
803 Posts
Craig-- Talks were underway with Moebius about doing this kit. We even had molds made. But, during the shipping of the molds, there was a train wreck and the molds were lost. We thought it was all over after that, but then we met a fella that is related to the family that once owned Aurora Plastics. He said he was restarting the family business and want to produce the Yama's Hawg. Man, we should see those kits on store shelves any week now.:tongue:

Hooty:jest::jest:

·
Registered
193 Posts
Craig-- Talks were underway with Moebius about doing this kit. We even had molds made. But, during the shipping of the molds, there was a train wreck and the molds were lost. We thought it was all over after that, but then we met a fella that is related to the family that once owned Aurora Plastics. He said he was restarting the family business and want to produce the Yama's Hawg. Man, we should see those kits on store shelves any week now.:tongue:

Hooty:jest::jest:
Oh no! The return of LAPCO! :jest:

·
Registered
7,695 Posts
They never left, the web site is still up. Two years behind. Not really. They just want to make sure that the decals and instructions are the very best in the hobby. Just finding someone to share their enthusiasm is impossible, so there is no telling when the kits will arrive.

·
Premium Member
7,148 Posts
Oh no! The return of LAPCO! :jest:
REALLY??? Man what GREAT news...as soon as I found out about this kit being made I knew it would be the redemption of Acorpse...can I send my money in today?
Wait a minute ... I don't see any decals on the Box Art picture of the Bicycle???
What gives...:confused:
Mc:beatdeadhorse:dee

·
Registered
3,331 Posts
I have one, too. Being one of the "old-timers" that was in on the "Yama's Hawg" joke/kit. After Lisa had told me of the joke and how it came about, I offered to make an actual model based on the box art. It was presented to the real "Yamahawg" at Wonderfest.
Speaking of 'Da Hawg, I was fortunate to end up with the original hand drawn image, drawn by Yama, that the box art is based from. Properly, I have it hanging up in my model room above my bench.

·
Registered
924 Posts
That sure brings back a lot of memories.
It sure does, Double E. It sure does.

I'm glad to see the original "instructions" have been faithfully preserved by my buddy, Anj. And Hooty did a fantastic job on the prototype. I have it sitting on top of a shelf in my office.

It's always kind of weird to see it on eBay. And with an asking price of $105(?!), no less. I see that it isn't signed. I wonder how many were signed and how many were unsigned. (Mine isn't signed, but then what would be the point? lol)

Anyhoos, I drew the instrux one day when I was getting ready to leave my office when I was working at UNC. I probably spent a bit too much time on the forum in those days. Especially while I was at work, and the PLBB was continually beseiged by many modeling "experts" making suggestions at what kits PL should sell. Big Franky was suggested so often that I believe it became a banned topic. There were other suggestions, some that actually came into being ("Hunchback/Bellringer" I believe, was one). So as a lark, I thought I would add my two cents by not just making a suggestion on the bulletin board, but by actually drawing up a set of "instructions," (complete with dimensions) and then I mailed them to Lisa. She seemed to get a kick out of it, and that was that. Or so I thought. Fast forward to Wonderfest and low and behold there's stacks of boxes of this "kit." Then they set me up at a table and I signed them for various members of the PLBB. A pretty surreal experience, looking back on it. But one of my most treasured memories, as it was things like that that made Lisa and Polar Lights so very special.

·
Premium Member
5,433 Posts
Man, I wish so badly that I knew about this place when Polar Lights was around....:cry:
You guys must have had a real blast!!!

Chris.:)

·
Premium Member
7,148 Posts
Hooty did a fantastic job on the prototype. I have it sitting on top of a shelf in my office.
Can you post pictures of the Prototrype?
I'd love to see it :thumbsup:
Mcdee:p

·
Registered
268 Posts
Man, I wish so badly that I knew about this place when Polar Lights was around....:cry:
You guys must have had a real blast!!!

Chris.:)
Yeah...it was good era...with more of an intelligent-stupid humor along with Lisa, keeping us all in line as, the seam-less, model mom! Even Dave was let out of his cage, now & then, to chew on our bones. ;)

"Never say never" ...became our moto.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts