Hobbyist Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I like collecting Majorette cars since they are still easy to find around here and since not too many collect them, the prices are very reasonnable. They also do castings that nobody else does. I love those funky euro cars that we never got to see here. I'll be posting some in this thread, feel free to post yours as well.

Let's start, found this last week in a bag at Goodwill. Never saw it before. It's some kind of raid truck, real or not, for the legendary Paris-Dakar rally.

Gerry :)

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
Lummox: :lol::lol:

And wow... this brings back memories. Had the exact one as a kid. Never liked die-cast trucks too much, but I loved this one as it was somehow different. Sitting figures at the back are a nice touch too. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Talking about trucks, here's a cool pair of Toyota Hilux pick ups. They made the regular and 4X4 of that most indestructible vehicle.

·
Registered
1,978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Here's another one. It seems that Chrysler had some european specific cars. This is the Chrysler 180. What year, I don't know!

·
Registered
205 Posts
I had a couple of Majorettes as a child. I don't remember seeing them locally, but on vacation in PEI I got a couple, and I'm almost certain one of them was that Chrysler 180. I just loved that car. I got a lot of enjoyment out of it throughout that trip, and long after.

·
Registered
1,978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm happy that some of you actually played with these cars. Here's another red car, French made Simca. I don't think that those were ever marketed in North America (Thank God!).

·
Registered
920 Posts
Here's another one. It seems that Chrysler had some european specific cars. This is the Chrysler 180. What year, I don't know!

The Chrysler 180 was in production from 1970-80. Chrysler Europe came about following the purchases of the Rootes Group (UK) & Simca (France). The 180/2-litre range was the first to be badged as a Chrysler, although the Simca name was still used in France.

There has been a recent model of the 180 by Ixo/Altaya :

Steve

·
Registered
870 Posts
One thing I liked about Majorettes was that they made cars that other toy companies didn't. They've become very hard to find around where I live.

·
Registered
1,978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
A Renault 5 but look closely, it's a four door. I think only majorette ever made those in a 4 door. I use to own a 2 door and it was dirt cheap on gas. It also handled amazingly well for such a small car. The only problem is that it would fall apart and fail to start often. For some weird reason, Canadian models were sold with the 5th gear removed from the tranny. It was plenty fast with only four gears, I can just imagine how fast it would have gone with that extra 5th gear! Renault's are also well known to give mechanics nightmares. This one requires removing the entire front end of the car to replace the clutch since the transmission sits in front of the engine that is mounted in a North/South fashion.

·
Registered
1,978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Keeping with Renault, here's a pair of Alpine's. One serving the law and the other for emergency medical services.

·
Registered
260 Posts
There was an importer called Charmerz (Charles Merz) who brought them in to US. I found many at Child World in 70-80s and then at close-out stores. Still have a bunch in the attic. Child World and Charmerz are gone but Majorette still remains,

·
Registered
1,978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Majorette cars are great for wheel swaps. Just remove the clip, swap wheels and put the clip back. Here's a Toyota van that got a repaint and wheel swap.

·
Registered
1,978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Majorette also made castings of American cars like these Wagonneer's. My fav is the Indian Chief. The two 4X4's don't have the dog in the back.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts