Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,315 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im posting here on Anthony's forum because I bought this bust from him at WF04. Thanks AT, always good to see ya :wave:

http://groups.msn.com/TobysBrain/shoebox.msnw?action=ShowPhoto&PhotoID=28

Just some basic color, going for a marble look for the base. Looks more like Cobra-Alien to me, but a great sculpt, nice & big and really fun to paint.

So what's the story behind this bust ??? Did Horizon ever intend to do box art? Were other busts considered?

·
2,690 Posts
Nice Job, Tobey! I like the treatment you did for the base as well as the bust!
Horizon did release this with box art (a photo of a finished kit), I just bought a whole bunch of them from the Horizon warehouse when they went back to Japan and they did not have boxes with them since they were still in their shipping boxes from China. This was one of the final kits Horizon put out.
I hear Sandy Collora is supposed to direct the remake of the Creature from the Black Lagoon and has Steve Wang designing the new suit... wonder if it will look like this?

·
Registered
2,315 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Almost done, did some airbrushed highlights, watercolor washes, then a transparent yellow over all. Still have to render the eyes & I think Ill take the marble look up into the bust a little.

http://groups.msn.com/TobysBrain/shoebox.msnw?action=ShowPhoto&PhotoID=29

If the new suit design is similar to this sculpt maybe the value of these kits will go up & you can ask a little more for'em. Right now they are about the best bargain you can get for a vinyl kit.

·
Registered
2,743 Posts
A Taylor said:
I hear Sandy Collora is supposed to direct the remake of the Creature from the Black Lagoon and has Steve Wang designing the new suit... wonder if it will look like this?
actually, the bust is a variation on the "crane zoanoid" monster from guyver 2

·
Curmudgeon
6,594 Posts
A Taylor said:
Ah, there is a God! This is good news; I can't think of anyone I'd rather see designing the new Creech suit...well, except maybe Rick Baker, but I'd have to toss a coin to choose between the two.

F.B. - I know this is an older thread, but I wanted to tell you how much I enjoyed looking at the photos of your build-ups! Really nice work, and it's good to know I'm not the only CFTBL fan out there! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
2,743 Posts
ive seen some of the sketches of proposed new gillmans... lets say im not exactly enthused about them. the take on the character that wang and matt rose did for monster squad was far nicer. i trust steve, but not sure what collora might hand him to sculpt.

i dont know about you guys, but id like to see the new design strongly resemble the original.

btw zombie, you should join the creature from the black lagoon yahoo club... apparently theres loads of us out there

·
Curmudgeon
6,594 Posts
razorwyre1 said:
I dont know about you guys, but id like to see the new design strongly resemble the original.
Yeah, what he said!!! When I first heard about a remake, the first thing that crossed my mind was, "Uh-oh, how bad is the Creature gonna look?"

razorwyre1 said:
btw zombie, you should join the creature from the black lagoon yahoo club... apparently theres loads of us out there
No kiddin'? I'll hafta look into that. Thanks Raz! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
2,743 Posts
my brother and i were discussing this concept last night. filmmakers discount how strongly the original versions of these characters are affixed in our heads. i want an improved version of the creature, but not one thats changed out of all recognition to the original. the wang/rose gillman from monster squad is fantastic from the neck down. its face is a great fish-human, but its not the gillman.

when i type "frankenstein" here, what image pops into your head upon reading it? karloff, not lee, not deniro, not any of the other designs.

an anecdote to illustrate this: the day the american godzilla film came out, taco bell unveiled the happy meal displays featiring the monster. i was standing behing 2 factory workers in line. they were looking at the standee, and one turned to the other and said "y'know, its a cool lookin' lizard, but it aint godzilla"

not too long ago i airbrushed a bowling shirt with the gillman's face on the back, and i started to notice elements of his facial proportions. there are many things about them that make him seem intellegent and noble. this surely wasnt accidental.

the filmmakers would be wise to stick what we know, expect, and most importantly want in the appearance of the creature form the black lagoon.

·
Curmudgeon
6,594 Posts
razorwyre1 said:
The filmmakers would be wise to stick what we know, expect, and most importantly want in the appearance of the creature form the black lagoon.
I couldn't agree more. Unfortunately, unless Universal is producing the film, filmmakers are forced to either re-design our beloved horror film characters or pay Universal half their film's budget to obtain rights to the likenesses. Universal is notorious for aggressively protecting their characters' likenesses...not that they're doing anything with them, they just don't want others cashing in on their successes. And since they were the top dog in the heyday of our favorite classic horror icons, you're naturally going to think of their character designs first. Frankenstein = Karloff, Dracula = Lugosi, etc.

I'm still trying to figure out what they were thinking with that horrid Frankenstein's monster in Van Helsing...

·
Registered
2,743 Posts
well van helsing is a universal film, and as a consequence, the monster there did have some elements of the original makeup. unlike frankenstein and dracula (somebody correct me if im wrong here), the title "creature from the black lagoon", as well as all the other elements (script etc) are wholly owned by universal, so whoevers doing it is still going to pay them that enormous licensing fee anyway....

and i really think that universal being first is coincidental to their versions of the characters becoming iconic

1 - 18 of 18 Posts