Hobbyist Forums banner

481 - 500 of 533 Posts

·
Registered
1,774 Posts
I just noticed that the wheels on this are an older style than the one I have. Is there a 5 digit code printed or engraved in the bottom? I'm curious if that can tell us when it was made and get an idea of when the wheel style changed.
Hi sorry for the late reply. Here's a picture of the base. They called this "Off-Road" The base has the number 11113 on it.

Here is another one but yellow with clear windows and interior. Same wheels.

The base. No 5 digit code. It's also called simply "VW".

·
Super Moderator
1,957 Posts
Awesome, thanks! From what we've been able to gather, the 5 digit code on the bottom is a date code. The first digit is the factory location, the 2nd and 3rd are the year, and the 4th and 5th are the week. So, if we're right on that, your orange one was made in factory 1 in week 13 of 2011. I have the same orange variation with 11939, but it has one piece wheels with chromed rims.

I have three other variations of this model, too. There's one that's the same as your yellow one, but with extra sponsor decals:

And yet another one with an additional Goodyear decal:

This one actually has a lot of different details and is branded M.C. Toy (predecessor to Maisto). The front bumper is different, it has 2-piece chrome wheels and suspension, and a darker, more mustard color.

There's also a Tonka version that has a completely different paint scheme:

Lots of variations of this model!

·
Administrator
35,136 Posts
I was wondering about the name above the door. Hot Wheels often included the name of designers and other staff on their castings for example. The only Brandon Jacob I could find with other semi-celebrity status was an American football player with the 49ers.

Reactions: canalnoises

·
Registered
15 Posts
I was wondering about the name above the door. Hot Wheels often included the name of designers and other staff on their castings for example. The only Brandon Jacob I could find with other semi-celebrity status was an American football player with the 49ers.
I've wondered about that, too. I think a lot of the Tonka releases had different names on them. Maybe @chepp would know?
I checked with the head designer at Maisto — we both were there when this was created by another designer who left the company in 2007. We don't recall the origin of the Brandon Jacob name. Most likely, these were the first names of that designer's sons or other relatives.

481 - 500 of 533 Posts