Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know of at least two. Would someone pls give an objective rundown on both, as far as differences between the two, pros and cons, etc? Thanks!!!

·
Lifetime Quacka
1,725 Posts
I don't have the latest one but I DO know that the price guide has been updated. I have the green cover from 2004. Wanting to get the new one too (purple cover I think?). Not sure if the Polar Lights reissue section has updated prices? If I were buying one for the first time I would go for the latest available.

·
Premium Member
6,010 Posts
Books Reviewed

frank,

I believe the two books to which you referred are Bill Bruegman, The Aurora History & Price Guide (Akron, OH.: Cap'n Penny Productions, 1992) and Thomas Graham, Greenberg's Guide to Aurora Model Kits (Waukesha, WI.: Kalmbach Publishing Co., 1998).

There are many similarities between the two works. Both have a history of the Aurora Plastics Corporation from its beginning in 1950 to the end that came in 1977. There discussions in each book that have special appeal for most of us on the boards: how did the Monster Models get started, who sculpted the patterns for them, who painted the box art, etc. Some of the details between the books vary, so that by reading them both you will acquire a pretty thorough knowledge of the whole Aurora story.

The main differences between these books occur at the ends. Bruegman concentrates on the figure kits - real and fantasy subjects. His price descriptions examine only Aurora issues and reissues. They are accompanied by photos of finished models and/or illustrations taken from the kits' instruction sheets.

Graham's price coverage is much more extensive, and includes a brief description of the kits. He also covers the reissues by Revell, Monogram, Polar Lights, etc. Some of his descriptions contain tidbits like who the sculptor was for the pattern of a particlular kit, what TV show it was based on, things like that.

It's interesting to note that the two authors sometime give different scales for the same kit; Gigantic Frankenstein is one instance (1/5 says Bruegman, 1/4 according to Graham). As with the histories the two give for Aurora, these differences will only broaden your knowledge of the company and its output. I've seen the updated version of Graham's book, which comes with tons more color photographs. A similar update of Bruegman would be welcome, but even my hoary old first editions have been useful to me time and time again. Any edition of either that you can get your hands on would be an invaluable addition to your modeling library.

·
Registered
3,715 Posts
Just a note.

If you are thinking of buying either of these to use as a price guide.
Don't bother
In this day and age of ebay and the internet, any printed guide is pretty much obsolete by the time it rolls off the presses.
It's good for giving you a ballpark idea, but even that is hit or miss.
We all have seen the huge price swings on kits on ebay.
Any kits relative value can change dramatically in a short period of time.
And I am not talking about those oddball sales that are outside the norm, but actual pricing trends seen over time.
I know this from watchign PS auctions for over 6 years now.
A kit can sell consistently for $25 for months. then suddenly shoot up to $50. And will consistently sell at that price for months. Then suddenly no one wants it and the price falls back.

Now I am not saying to not buy these books.
As they are both great reference material. With great pictures of rare kits and a wealth of information. Anyone with a serious interest at all should have both books in their library.

Oh yeah.
Don't forget about
Classic Plastic by Rick Polizzi
While not limited to just Aurora kits, they are well represented.
And there is a ton of other cool kits out there that weren't made by Aurora.

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks, all, that's just the info I was looking for. Had one of these books at least 10 yrs ago - don't recall which. Tay, if I get one/both now it won't be for prices, for the exact reasons you state...it'd be more for the historical info.

thanks again!

·
Registered
4,863 Posts
If I had to recommend one over t'other, I'd go with the Tom Graham book. It gives a thorough, interesting account of Aurora's heyday, plus its got purty color pictures...

·
Premium Member
6,010 Posts
ChrisW said:
If I had to recommend one over t'other, I'd go with the Tom Graham book...its got purty color pictures...
Chris likes the pictures - there's a shock.:rolleyes:

On the other hand, when someone publishes the Polar Lights History and Price Guide, I'll get it just for the purty pitchers of Chris' box art. YEEEEEEEHAW!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts