Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
See the 7/15/11 9:30 am post. This car was built by Joel Pennington, former National Champion, with some motor technology from Pat Dennis, the developer of the original Tyco Pro. It was raced at the Brass Car demonstration race at the HOPRA Nats. The car was based on a similar design from the Tyco skunk works in the early 70's. The original car was featured in Car Model Magazine, but never released, since the price, at that time, would have been in the $8.00 to $12.00 range.

This is one beautiful piece of workmanship!

Planet of Speed posting:

http://www.planetofspeed.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=5713&start=135

·
Registered
228 Posts
Leo,

If you think that shot gives you goose bumps, you ought to see how clean the underside looked and with the body on, I would have paid $200 for it just to sit it in my display case. I'm one of the biggest(get this one)antigravitist,LOL but Joel put his foot in that one!

·
Registered
4,512 Posts
I recall seeing the Tyco prototype sidewinder when it first appeared in Car Model years ago. That would have been one heck of a car for the HO scale.

The tiny motor seriously intrigues me because it would allow for incredibly realistic body styles without resorting to HO Scale Bloat (HOSB) which is a very serious issue given that set track lane spacing and minimum turn radius has not gotten any larger in nearly 50 years as the cars have grown. Imagine a new line of HO cars with a modern chassis design that is actually smaller than the A/FX and TycoPro lines. We may never get back to sub 1:64 and TJet size for open wheel style cars, but we need to be heading in that direction rather than the direction we have been heading in for the last couple of decades. The other aspect of the smaller motor is that it would likely have much less torque, which would bring even more realism to certain forms of racing.

·
Member of Da Band
2,493 Posts
Yes a very good idea! I have been working on something quite similar, but in a different sort of way. Thing is, are they looking to actually produce that beast? Or is it just a pipe dream? I sure would like to know where they got those motors from .............. sigh.... pig

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Scratchbuilt

Each part of the motor was made by hand including the comm and the armature laminations! Pat Dennis was making a small run of 5 to 10 of a very similar car, a copy of the Tyco prototype, but I do not know if that is still on or has been sold out.

·
Model Murdering
7,331 Posts
Mommy mommy buy me a slot cah twack!

I recall seeing the Tyco prototype sidewinder when it first appeared in Car Model years ago. That would have been one heck of a car for the HO scale.

The tiny motor seriously intrigues me because it would allow for incredibly realistic body styles without resorting to HO Scale Bloat (HOSB) which is a very serious issue given that set track lane spacing and minimum turn radius has not gotten any larger in nearly 50 years as the cars have grown. Imagine a new line of HO cars with a modern chassis design that is actually smaller than the A/FX and TycoPro lines. We may never get back to sub 1:64 and TJet size for open wheel style cars, but we need to be heading in that direction rather than the direction we have been heading in for the last couple of decades. The other aspect of the smaller motor is that it would likely have much less torque, which would bring even more realism to certain forms of racing.
Blashphemer!!!

I will pray for your dream!

I think it's pretty clear that my Thundersaurus cobblings are evidence that the old school Tyco can motor can be crammed into some stylings that are near 1/75. Even though they are built down and dirty in Fred Flintstones back yard using stone knives and bearskins; it's proof positive that it could happen fairly easily if someone REALLY wanted it too.

Imagine what could be done if things like open minded slot car experiences, forethought, and engineering prowess were applied to the concept.

IMHO that little can motor is surely the missing link. The mere thought of a readily available, entry level, versatile, inline chassis that swings the scale pendulum back on the other side of a buck seventy five makes me swoon...fetch the smelling salts....I'm having one of my spells again! :freak:

Sadly the kind of coin required to really blow it open will never be spent to develope such a thing. The safe money is in geeked up gaudy over hyped media stylings that lil' Johnnies folks can buy at Christmas to asuage their guilt and filling his little stocking with the type of magic anti gravity slot cars that will stay on the track while he's simultaneously play stationing, eating a sandwich, and blankly staring out the window as he's tripping on ritilin.

...but I'm still praying with fingers crossed! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
419 Posts
I would love to get my hands on a couple of those tiny little motors. I keep having this dream of building a couple of HO scale-ish slingshot dragsters.

·
Member of Da Band
2,493 Posts
There may well be a light at the end of the tunnel! And it is not the Radio Shack motor!

·
Registered
3,661 Posts
ROTFLOL @ Bill's statement below :p

.......The safe money is in geeked up gaudy over hyped media stylings that lil' Johnnies folks can buy at Christmas to asuage their guilt and filling his little stocking with the type of magic anti gravity slot cars that will stay on the track while he's simultaneously play stationing, eating a sandwich, and blankly staring out the window as he's tripping on ritilin.
:thumbsup:

·
Registered
877 Posts
Each part of the motor was made by hand including the comm and the armature laminations! Pat Dennis was making a small run of 5 to 10 of a very similar car, a copy of the Tyco prototype, but I do not know if that is still on or has been sold out.
I have one coming. Heard they are sold out. I love Brass . Wish TYCO would have made these. But lucky Pat Dennis is & thats just as good. Whats the differents if he made then or now?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Just how much would you be willing to pay for one-or more of these?[/
Although I can understand your desire to have this new tiny-sized motor readily available at some price that you deem reasonable, you fail to understand that the total universe for for such a niche market item is estimated at approx. 500 people. Let’s assume that each of you may buy 25 of these over a three year period – bringing the total to 12.5K pieces. How much are you willing to pay for each of these – $5 or $ 250? Even at that maximum price, this would not generate sufficient cash to cover the cost for the laminate prog-dies, much less the housing drawing dies, the brush plates, the injection molds for the end-caps, etc, and then the jigs & fixtures to produce it. Although I would dearly love to see a major manufacturer jump on this need, as it's use is only for HO slot cars, the economics just aren’t there.
I have agreed to produce just the 12 copies of the original Tyco Mk II prototypes of 1969 and 70 as a project. I have spent over a year and a half designing this product, machining the masters, making up the proto-grade molds, photo-etching parts, plus designing & building the jigs & fixtures to accomplish this (any fool can make one item, try to exactly duplicate that 12 times!).
For reasons that I won’t get into here, I have enlisted a collaborator in Joel Pennington, who has built a couple of prototype that you have seen – proving the potential of the design.

·
Premium Member
5,688 Posts
Boy oh boy i'd love to get my hands on one Pat :)

·
Registered
877 Posts
copy Joels Chassis

I was trying to copy Joels Chassis. But i need picture of bottom. Also mine will need to be a side winder for the bigger rear tires. The motor is from RC.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The only two people who could give you a tutorial or pics of the bottom are Pat Dennis and/or Joel Pennington. It looks like you have a really good start. You probably don't need a tutorial. Look at a retro 1/24 car to get an idea on where to spot solder the motor. Cover any openings, while you solder to prevent rust from the soldering flux vapor. I would love to find the motor you are using. If they were affordable enough, I would buy a half dozen!

·
Registered
877 Posts
Piano wire

Slot car,
I went to RC store found them in parts bin. If i don`t see picture off bottom soon, heres what i`ll do There is three piano wires each side. One on each side will hold the side pans, 2nd will hold motor, 3rd will hold rear axle each side.
I ran one of these motors on a formula chassis i was building ran great on power pacs. I burnt it out on Battery powered track.
Pat Dennis told me there is some kind resistor or limiter to put on that motor that will stop it from burning, I did not write down what he said. Have to ask again.
Thanks John

1 - 20 of 51 Posts