Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
10,947 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yes it was, and here it is...in the form of Spark's new resin casting of the Dodge powered 1977 Shadow DN4B Can Am creation.

Many books have been written on the wonderful Can Am series, so I will not try and write a new one here. But rest assured that Don Nichol’s Shadow racing team is well worth the effort should you want to undertake the project!

Nichol’s cerently walked to the beat of a different drummer, as did his cars. Here we see a wonderful replica of the DNB4 Alan Jones drove to a DNF in the 1977 Can Am event at Mosport (outside of Toronto). The car was credited with 25th position due to a failed fuel pump. While the Australian stand out Alan Jones drove the Shadow F1 ride for most of the season (including a win that year) this was one of the few starts in the Can Am cars.

Though this car does have a few small issues, including the wrong model designation on the base (the car is listed as a DN4) . The larger problem being that the images I can find from the actual event does not show the CHUN 1 Radio decals (is that what that says?). But still this is one great looking model!

Though the Shadow Can Am cars became famous with Chevy power (1966-74) Don switched to the 5 liter Dodge power in 1977. I assume this was a destroked 318 c.i. but I can't really say. I did little research on the details...I was just thrilled to see it was Dodge power in general!

Only my second Can-Am series car and I am thrilled to add this to my growing collection. Thank you for looking and I hope you enjoy....

·
Registered
10,947 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
How cool are you Karl, thanks so much! My French is quite rusty, but that indeed does identify the car as being at Mosport. And 77' would be the only year that Alan drove the Can Am car for Shadow, so I'm thinking it's right. The only photo I could find was on RSC and it showed no CH1N or CHUN1 Radio decals, but that could have been maybe pratice photos. Thanks for the pics so much!

·
Registered
920 Posts
That's a fantastic looking model Ward - Spark seem to be going big time on Can-Am cars at the moment, this being one of several Shadows.

·
Registered
10,947 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You have me there Alex, I have never seen a real Shadow (well, I have the F1 cars but not the Can-Am versions). I would love to see them at a historic event one day. Did you see one of the Dodge cars or the more popular Chevy powered machines?

·
Registered
10,947 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Now that's cool. The Chevy cars are far more known, but you have to admit, the Dodge years had a wild look to the cars!

·
Registered
2,090 Posts
Cool car, knew about the real car just did not know they did a scale one. Being a Mopar guy I have to try and find one.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
chevy....

I can post the pictures of the one I saw, 1 was a can-am the other was a F1! I wish I got a better picture of the F1 (or went back to it :() maybe i'll see it again in the future... its happened before. I wish I got a better racing picture... but this was my best (my pan views were kind of blurry, i don't get a chance to pan racing cars that much a year - once or twice - i'm way better than I was last year though)

·
Registered
5,308 Posts
That's a real nice piece, Ward. Yeah, finding anything with an American engine that wasn't Ford or GM is a rare event, but Dodge. Congrats on acquiring such a unique piece.

·
Registered
10,947 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Alex...GREAT photos!!! Thank you for including them in this thread! I can't belive, with all the historic stuff I do , I have never seen a Shadow C/A car, but just have missed them, and they are truly some of my favorites. Again, thanks for the cool pics!

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
I'm going to the show I saw the F1 at... again on the 17th... So maybe it will be there again? I hope so... don't have to worry about picture capacity anymore or battery life...

·
Registered
10,947 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I'm going to the show I saw the F1 at... again on the 17th... So maybe it will be there again? I hope so... don't have to worry about picture capacity anymore or battery life...
Take a ton of pics and start a thread for them. I look forward to what you bring back! I think a lot of folks will enjoy them as well.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Thanks for posting the pictures, I was at the Can Am race at Watkins Glen in '77 , the Shadow was listed as an entrant but it did not race.

·
Registered
10,947 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks for the updated info. In all of my printed resources, I see where Alan qualified in the 8th position, but the car was always listed as a DNF (creidited with 25th of 25). So now it's a bit more clear, he never started (should have been listed and DNS) due to the fuel pump issues.

Thanks again, OH how I would love you tell about that race, I never had the oppertunity to see a real Can Am race!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts