Hobbyist Forums banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
9,677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Originally Posted by Dadvball

I am just curious, and have often wondered why someone buys so many of one particular casting. Let's use the new Motorhome as an example. Why would you buy 5, 6, 10, 15, or more? I can see because there may be a wheel, color, or some other variation. I will sometimes (mostly by accident) do the same, but I don't keep up with variations so it doesn't happen often. Or maybe someone buys 10, 20, 50 or more to do a special custom for the various HW shows. Or it's a hard to find piece and you buy extra to trade, sell, send to friends, or donate to a particular organization.
The most I may have of any one particular car is two. One I may open, one left carded. Or I may customize one. But that's my purchasing habit, and I know that everyone is different. To each their own. But I'm still curious.
Unless you do any of the above, what do you do with so many of the exact same car? I am referring to mainline cars, as chase cars fall into a different category (at least I think so).

Looking for anyone's reply, thank you.

that sums it up, Anyone know why we do this? We all do it! with everything we buy, trade "acquire" but WHY???? Why do I feel compelled to buy 25 vw bugs? 10 nissan titans? anything! everything!

·
Registered
4,253 Posts
I personally dont' buy doubles of non-chase cars, unless I like it enough maybe (hasn't happened yet). It boggles my mind as to why someone would buy large quantities of non-chase cars just to have them. I don't see anyhting wrong with it, I just don't get it.

·
Registered
7,364 Posts
I gave up asking this.... I have no idea why people do it...

the latest and greatest person doing this would be Mr. Redline... it resulted in a long post, and towards the end, someone suggested that maybe not post the pics of like 10 of one car cuz it just pisses people off...
but he just continues to do it.....:rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
7,464 Posts
I think a lot of people buy them for profit. Some local "collectors" buy them and hold on to them for 6 months, hoping that they are the "rare" variation. Then if they are not valuable, they take them back to the store with other HWs receipts.

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
I don't understand it either, two guys come to mind but I won't mention names as I don't want to offend anyone. But I see no point in hoardibg dozens of the same casting. I buy one or two at most and if I buy two the second one I open it to displat it, while leaving the best carded one carded. And that is only with a car I like a lot. I hate when I see someone that spends hours going through every case a store has just because they got there first, and takes every chase or htf casting leaving none behind for working class guys who can't run out to wally at 1am or be there at tru when the doors open. imo they are only looking to profit from this, they are not collectors, they are hoarders and scalpers. This is just my opinion, but remember you asked for it, lol.

·
Registered
7,548 Posts
The times I have hoarded, were to satisfy ho scale diaramas, like a checker taxi station, a farm equipment supply company,cop shops most recently a funeral home with multiple Hearses.
I got extras of those still, because I hope to make some flamed hearse customs as payback to those RAOKers,who have treated me well.

I like to collect 2 of most things because I can usually find a hollywood facsimile car to open and still have one on the card.
I sometimes get multipes of JL,or GL's because I like to replace crap HW tires with something more realistic.

When I started collecting,I would get extras of VW busses and blastlanes because I thought they might be htf. "Trade bait,"is what I told myself.

Clearly,they never became trade bait and I ended up trying to sell them for pennies on the dollar,at my garage sale.

Eventually those "duplicates" went to childrens charities.

·
Registered
5,228 Posts
RobDog said:
The times I have hoarded, were to satisfy ho scale diaramas, like a checker taxi station, a farm equipment supply company,cop shops most recently a funeral home with multiple Hearses.
I got extras of those still, because I hope to make some flamed hearse customs as payback to those RAOKers,who have treated me well.

I like to collect 2 of most things because I can usually find a hollywood facsimile car to open and still have one on the card.
I sometimes get multipes of JL,or GL's because I like to replace crap HW tires with something more realistic.

When I started collecting,I would get extras of VW busses and blastlanes because I thought they might be htf. "Trade bait,"is what I told myself.

Clearly,they never became trade bait and I ended up trying to sell them for pennies on the dollar,at my garage sale.

Eventually those "duplicates" went to childrens charities.
That makes sense to collect several (like taxis) when you use them for a display. Now that I think about it, I have 4 or 5 of the blue Racing Cabbin Fever on a shelf, each with a different Racing casting.

My extras usually go to between 75 and 100 kids at the annual Cub Scout Pinewood Derby. It'll be here in March so I better start sorting.

Not to sound sarcastic, but 119 looks and only 5 replies, not one being from anyone that collects multiples. :confused:

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
Personally, I don't keep more than 2 of any casting. If I'm lucky enough to find multiple chase cars, in this case lets say Treasure Hunts, I pick them up to use for trades and for the occasional RAOK. I didn't start attempting to collect this year's TH set until I found a shipper at a local Kroger with 6 TH Mustangs in it which was early November. That led to several trades, and a couple of individual finds later...I'm down to needing the Dairy Delivery to have this year's full set.
Mainline cars I guess whatever floats your boat. Obviously they're not going to soar in value and make us all millionaires, so if you want to blow $20 and hoard one particular car...knock yourself out. Most of my dupes go to the kids and they get treated the way Hot Wheels were made to be treated!(except my kids are a little too young to tape or stuff firecrackers in them yet...) :thumbsup: :wave:

·
Registered
85 Posts
the treasure hunts and mail-in promotion for the mystery cars we're saving for when our little boy gets older and can appreciate them. all other cars we buy 1 of each and he opens them all. if we buy dupes it's because we don't take our spreadsheets with us and just don't recognize he's already got it.

·
Registered
4,781 Posts
sometimes its just OFD.
I have alot of duplicate, and even triplicate cars that
were purchased because I thought they looked cool, and wanted to have
one for my collection.
Only to come home and discover that I thought it was a cool casting one or two times before.

·
Registered
5,966 Posts
I have lots of duplicates of cars I like.Once they stop showing up regularly I can use them as trade bait for newer models plus I can customize them the way I like[when I get time].

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
NYSWLhunter said:
Originally Posted by Dadvball

that sums it up, Anyone know why we do this? We all do it! with everything we buy, trade "acquire" but WHY???? Why do I feel compelled to buy 25 vw bugs? 10 nissan titans? anything! everything!
I don't buy 10, 20, or 30 of one car...... I only need 2, one for customizing and one for display... The most I have of 1 car is 3 Enzos, 3 71' Mustang Dragsters, 3 Motorhomes, and 3 yellow Corvette C6R's.....

:thumbsup: ---Midnightrun--- :wave:

·
Registered
192 Posts
You should see how many of these I have now.

And those of you who love to jump to conclusions, making suppositions and judging people obviousy need to get a real life.

ya shouldn't worry about what others are doing and why!

·
Registered
9,677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
maybe its a inner child thing were overcompensation might make one think they are satisfied. Hmm, I guess everyone has their own opinion whisch they are entitled too. Maybe its best not to disclose what we really buy. Keep it your own personal secret.

·
Registered
5,228 Posts
ranugad said:
You should see how many of these I have now.

And those of you who love to jump to conclusions, making suppositions and judging people obviousy need to get a real life.

ya shouldn't worry about what others are doing and why!
I'm not worrrying about what others do. Your pic of 14 Vettes with each being a different color, which I assume you did (they look awesome by the way) is different than someone buying 14 or more vettes, all being the same, and just packing them away. Sorry, but I just don't understand the point of doing something like that and was wondering why. It was just a simple question in an attempt to learn about peoples collecting habits. If nobody wants to answer, fine. I didn't start this thread to pick on anyone or anybody in particular. Personally, unless I'm gonna customize them, use them in a display, trade them, or send them to other members because they can't find them, I'm not gonna buy more than two, and I'll use my money on other castings. But again, that's my collecting habit.
So far, other than yourself, and you've shown what you do with your extras, nobody else that collects quantities of the exact same casting has answered. That's fine. It's a free world and you can do as you want. Will I lose any sleep over it? No. It was just to satisfy my curiousity.

Again, I would just like to say you did an awesome job on those Vettes. I am curious (there's that word again :lol: ) though, did you paint them or dye them. Awesome colors and shine.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts