Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
10,947 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Yes, pigs really can fly...at least at Le Mans. In the development time line of the Porsche 917 endurance race cars, this odd shaped 917/20 may be one of the most famous. If not for it's performance, then surely for it's unique livery.

In 1970, Porsche engineers in the styling department were working on drawings for a more aerodyniac 917 body. Porsche’s brass However, choose French design firm SERA to develop this rolling experiment. The resulting car was a wide, squat shape derived from the front of a 917K and the rear of a 908.

Though John Wyer Racing was the appointed factory team (with the Gulf colored 917 & 917L's), Martini Racing was tapped to prepare the 917/20. After appearing in a Le Man test race in early '71 (wearing plain white), it was decided the car would run in the 24 hour classic. Now for the fun part...the most common story as to it's rather odd graphic design is simple revenge. The in house design staff, still felling a bit overlooked by Porsche bosses, felt the SERA design was ugly and resembled a pig....thus they painted it bright pink and labeled the cuts of pork that a butcher would use!

The car was working towards the lead when Reinhold Joest (current owner of Joest Audi Sport, factory Audi works team) crashed the pig. Orgionaly reported as a stuck throttle linkage, it is now believed the car suffered a fused front brake roter. So the most infamous Porsche to ever race at Le Mans was listed as a DNF in 32td. Being the only 20 built, the car is now restored and part of the Porsche collection.

This diecast version was a recent purchase from our own Apason Distributers and is my first High Speed casting. Though somewhat cheaply produced, I felt the car was well worth the $15 price tag. One of the more interesting aspects of this casting is the "wet" tires. Of all my prototype castings, I think this may be the only one NOT wearing slicks and sporting a little rain griping rubber instead!

Thanks for the read, you all know how I jones to have a new car to research. I hope you find this strange porker as entertaining as myself.

Ward

·
Registered
127 Posts
wow what a great car :eek:

All of the 917 versions in total are 6 unique cars. The least-powered version is the 917K (the most successful), produces around 620bhp. There is also a long-tail version (917LH), a "pig" version, modified 917K with the 908 rear spoilers and the 917/30. In the 1973 Can-Am series, the turbocharged version Porsche 917/30 developed over 1,100 bhp (820 kW), and as much as 1,580 bhp (1,180 kW) in qualifying tune.

The 917 is one of the most iconic sports racing cars of all time, largely for its high speeds and high power outputs, and was made into a movie star by Steve McQueen in his 1971 film Le Mans.
:dude:

·
Registered
10,947 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes, Jinx's is far more detailed then the High Speed, but again, "pound for pork" they are both a good value.

As for the history, It took quite a while peicing the story from several sources. Every site and book I have mentions the car, but few lay out much detail. Really a pretty neat story when all is laid out.

·
Registered
473 Posts
I have the High Speed version as well and i think its great for the money.
I also have this in 1:18 by M/C and a neat thing about the box is when you open it, it oinks and then you hear a recording of the real engine starting up and then the car at speed out on the track.
Pure music if there ever was any!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts