Hobbyist Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
907 Posts
i use 1/16 for JLTO, it fits tightly enough that you dont need to shrink it. for tjets or aftermarket shoes (like bsrt 504s) i use 3/32, which does need to be shrunk. i have bought mine at an R/C hobby shop, as well as online at mcmaster carr.

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
I have tried the shrink tubing on a few occasions and I have never seemed to be able to get it right, they always ended up tearing or pushing themselves off. I finally found me a flat ended set of hobby pliers which are just slightly wider than the pickup shoes and doing the foldover trick is now a snap.

·
Premium Member
4,341 Posts
How do you do it so both shoes are the same distance frome the bottom of the tire? I did not see that in your tips on how to do it

·
Registered
3,689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
41-willys said:
How do you do it so both shoes are the same distance frome the bottom of the tire? I did not see that in your tips on how to do it
You just eye ball it.Thats really the only way I guess.

Marty,I ruined so many pairs of shoes trying the foldover technique.I guess I have to hit Sears or something with a couple of pu shoes in my pocket to try to find something that will work.

Mike

·
Premium Member
1,011 Posts
Alternative

I tried the shoe bending also but either ruined a lot of shoes or found that the adjustment wasn't correct. My solution has been much easier for me. I take a wide rubber band and cut approx. 1/32 cross section. I then hold the strip down and using an x-acto knife I cut a slit in the center. And now I have custom flat "rubber bands" that will fit over the ends of the pickups.
Next step is to adjust until you get the correct fit and travel. I have learned to cut strips with a narrow slit for t-jet pickups and a wider slit for tyco, etc.

Free, simple, and I haven't ruined a pickup. Give it a try and let me know what you think.

Gary
AKA LeeRoy98
www.marioncountyraceway.com

·
Premium Member
915 Posts
Thin strips of electrical tape work for me. It's sticky enough to hold in place but is still adjustable. By the way, thanks a lot for reminding me about this as I had been doing this last year but left it out of my recent TJet tweakings. It's a must on some cars.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts