Hobbyist Forums banner
  • If you've ever been interested in the history of Zee Toys or Maisto over the course of the 80s, 90s and into the modern day, you should come over to the Hobbytalk Ask Me Anything with Chepp going live on Tuesday, September 21st and running until Thursday, September 23rd. Don't miss out! You can ask your questions here!
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
907 Posts
i use 1/16 for JLTO, it fits tightly enough that you dont need to shrink it. for tjets or aftermarket shoes (like bsrt 504s) i use 3/32, which does need to be shrunk. i have bought mine at an R/C hobby shop, as well as online at mcmaster carr.

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
I have tried the shrink tubing on a few occasions and I have never seemed to be able to get it right, they always ended up tearing or pushing themselves off. I finally found me a flat ended set of hobby pliers which are just slightly wider than the pickup shoes and doing the foldover trick is now a snap.

·
Premium Member
4,341 Posts
How do you do it so both shoes are the same distance frome the bottom of the tire? I did not see that in your tips on how to do it

·
Registered
3,689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
41-willys said:
How do you do it so both shoes are the same distance frome the bottom of the tire? I did not see that in your tips on how to do it
You just eye ball it.Thats really the only way I guess.

Marty,I ruined so many pairs of shoes trying the foldover technique.I guess I have to hit Sears or something with a couple of pu shoes in my pocket to try to find something that will work.

Mike

·
Premium Member
1,011 Posts
Alternative

I tried the shoe bending also but either ruined a lot of shoes or found that the adjustment wasn't correct. My solution has been much easier for me. I take a wide rubber band and cut approx. 1/32 cross section. I then hold the strip down and using an x-acto knife I cut a slit in the center. And now I have custom flat "rubber bands" that will fit over the ends of the pickups.
Next step is to adjust until you get the correct fit and travel. I have learned to cut strips with a narrow slit for t-jet pickups and a wider slit for tyco, etc.

Free, simple, and I haven't ruined a pickup. Give it a try and let me know what you think.

Gary
AKA LeeRoy98
www.marioncountyraceway.com

·
Premium Member
915 Posts
Thin strips of electrical tape work for me. It's sticky enough to hold in place but is still adjustable. By the way, thanks a lot for reminding me about this as I had been doing this last year but left it out of my recent TJet tweakings. It's a must on some cars.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts