Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone -

Sorry for any miscommunication and misunderstanding concerning our Green Machines. Hopefully the information below will be clear to everyone.

Green Machines are 2% of our 1:64 scale production run. It has always been this way. This 2% works out to 1 Green Machine per 50 cars, as you know our cases consist of 48 cars, thus some cases are left without a Green Machine. If we guaranteed a Green Machine in every case this would up the 2% and not make the Green Machines as rare. We want to keep everyone as happy as possible, but we also want to ensure the exclusivity of the Green Machines.

Thanks for all of your support and keep the comments coming! We are listening!

[email protected]

·
Registered
490 Posts
Franklin2700 said:
What is production up to now on the MCG Series 3 cars anyway?

Franky
Thanks for the great info, Katie, and good question, Franky. I was just wondering the same thing myself. Unless I missed it, that info doesn't seem to be available on the GL website, although it does list production numbers for some of the other MCG series.

Regards,
gr6120

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
Franklin2700 said:
Thanks for clearing that up - too bad I learned the hard way! What is production up to now on the MCG Series 3 cars anyway?

Franky
6,000. That's what Jason at Greenlight told me over the phone yesterday.

·
Registered
303 Posts
WOW! 6000 of each? 120 GMs per car, times two (one stock and one custom) is 240 Green Machines per casting... ouch! I'd say 120 is still rare, but nothing compared to what it used to be. I guess all really good things must come to an end sooner or later. Thanks for the info, David.

Franky

·
Registered
631 Posts
Franklin2700 said:
WOW! 6000 of each? 120 GMs per car, times two (one stock and one custom) is 240 Green Machines per casting... ouch! I'd say 120 is still rare, but nothing compared to what it used to be. I guess all really good things must come to an end sooner or later. Thanks for the info, David.

Franky
It's just good ole supply and demand at work! The #'s are still low and hopefully will bring down the secondary market prices!!! I see alot of them sitting on e b a y right now with crazy a$$ prices on em :drunk: Thanx for the info all! :thumbsup:

GEW
GREENLAND

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Thanks for the info Katie. Now maybe you can clear up the production run numbers, is it 3500 or 6000? Please let us know.
Thanks again Katie and everyone at Green light.
Bryan

·
Premium Member
13,377 Posts
I hope production doesn't go any higher.

A good thing may come to an end.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Production Numbers

The production number for each car is 6,000. The demand is rising and in order for us to continue releasing our Series on a regular basis we need to feed that demand. However, we still remain true to you, the collector and we truly enjoy receiving your feedback, positive and negative. We visit these boards on a regular basis and even though we can't always answer all of your questions, we do listen to what you have to say. Please keep it coming!

Thanks everyone!!

[email protected]

·
Registered
760 Posts
I think as long as demand is there and quality stays the same whats the big deal of increasing production? I think it works out in our benefit. Production increases and the amount of GM's increase. Giving the average collector a better chance of getting one. And with more available maybe that with bring down the crazy a$$ prices on the secondary market. just my opinion. keep up the great work greenlight!

·
Registered
303 Posts
I would respectfully disagree. I think that rare pieces are exactly what this hobby has been missing for the last few years. When the Green Machines were limited to 40, 50 and even 70 pieces, the collector had something that was truly unique - only 39 people out there have one just like the one in front of you! In my mind, they eclipsed the once coveted White Lightning, so much so that I stopped buying and trading for the whites as a whole. I know a few other collectors that did just the same.

Now the production number has nearly doubled, which means that the secondary market will now have two kinds of sellers - those who order cases and get Green Machines, and those who live at your local Sears / K-Mart and put everything on EBay. Sure, this will drive the "unreasonable" prices back down so that everyone can have a shot at owning a Green Machine, but thats EXACTLY why I liked them in the first place: not everyone had one! I don't have the $$ to just go buy one of each right now, but that #1 makes me really appreciate the ones I do have, and #2 makes me work harder so that the next time I have $150 just laying around, I know what to do with it.

Two quick examples of why NOT to double production numbers of chase cars:
1.) White Lightnings. Anyone remember that BWF Camaro? $400+ before the great Canadian blizzard of 2007. Today? I saw one sell for $60. Why? Because EVERYONE that wants one can have one!
2.) Treasure Hunts. Today, the line has been split in two, and the number of "regular" Treasure Hunts increased. The result? Corvette C6R, Skyline, and Camaro "Hunts" for less than $6 each. Do I leave them? No; still can't find them. But the guy at the local HW show had 18 of them at $5 each, and didn't sell a single one.

I guess its a bit elitist of me to celebrate owning something that someone else doesn't. But the thing is, there is a LOT out there that I don't have. I see some of the pieces displayed on this very site (See: GM Custom Mustang 429, orange car on card) and I just drool. What appears to set me apart is the fact that I can accept that other people have something I don't. It doesn't bother me - quite the opposite! I'm very happy for those who have a piece I don't.

I certainly hope that Greenlight pays very close attention to their supply and demand curve. There is only so much of a market for $5 diecast cars, and the last thing I would ever want to see is the remains of a production run unloaded at my local KB Outlet store to make room for the next series.

Franky

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
*wish i had $150 just laying around...

Anywho, i understand your point Franky, the rarity of said item does indeed make it more charishable to hold. The most unique one i have in my collection is a LF 2004 Hurst Olds, even with 150 made (which would still be more than the new run of GM's which would be 120) they still demand high prices and a certain thing of rarity.

Even with 120, that still eave 119 other people in the WORLD that would have said piece, thats just above 2 cars per STATE. Now if that isn't rare enough for you, i don't know. To me anything under 200 would be rare and would be worth charishing.

Also you got to remember, just as they are there to service the collector, they also do have employees to pay themselves.

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
just because you live near a tru or k-mart doesn't mean crap. we've seen all of 3 cases in this town since "greenlight" said these 2 chains would carry them ( about 10 months now?). it's been a load of crap. i dumped them with such poor distribution.

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
NO ONE here sells GL cars. Every once in a great long while I will see a stray at a TRU. Did they only get a couple of cars? Did someone buy them all before I saw them? I dont think so, I was there the night before and nothing. Next morning 2 on the pegs....hmmmm.
The fact that you guys can even get Gl's at retail is a great thing. Wish we could get them here.

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
i don't see it as a "great thing'. i collect hot wheels. like the greenlights. but not chasing a ghost. maybe you have a small group of greenlight collectors. but in truth there only value $$ is the same or less than you paid, just like a hot wheels, unless you find a chase, just like in hot wheels.
otherwise, the value is in the eyes of the beholder, and for 99 cents at a retail store i'll take the hot wheels, over the "ghost of greenlights" at mail order prices, hoping you don't get ripped off, which happens all the time.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
IMO green machines are cool. These are toys no matter how you slice it. Whether there are 100 each or 300 each they are still rare. The only people who are overly concerned about the increased production are those who want to jack the price up.

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
I like the rarity of the Greenlight cars and the Green machines. If you can't find them then all you have to do is get a hold of Russ at Milezone's Toys and he can hook you up. Even RC2 is reducing some of their Johnny Lightning Series to 5000 and the White Lightnings to 1% of the run to make them more rare again. It does get a little frustrating looking for the Greenie's, but that's part of the game we all play as a collectors. Greenlight is making a great looking product and I hope they don't start mass producing the cars and make them cheep. I see them at Kmart. TRU had only one series around me and that was it.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts