Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
9,131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally watched this last night. Gretchen Mol couldn't be more appealing in the title role. She manages to put across in every moment of her performance the vitality, joy and innocence that made the real Bettie Page so memorable in photographs and on film. Good casting all around - including Lili Taylor as Paula Klaw, Sarah Paulson (Deadwood) as Bunny Yeager, and David Straithairn as Estes Kefauver. The movie has a great visual look, jumping between Black & White and the vivid Color of 1950s Pin-Up photography, as well as an effective and memorable soundtrack of pop music from that era. Bettie's story is told with great respect and affection - and with a story arc that may be surprising to some. The final denouement could have come off as heavy-handed or insincere - but it is handled with just the right touch of intelligence, sensitivity and humor. It's the perfect "ending" - to a story that didn't end, of course. If you're a Bettie Page fan at all, I highly recommend this movie.

·
Oxidation Genius
31,164 Posts
I'm dying to see this, but I can't talk my wife into it. I get the "Why would I want to watch naked women?" line.

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
John P said:
I'm dying to see this, but I can't talk my wife into it. I get the "Why would I want to watch naked women?" line.
Hmmm, Try the "It's the story of a woman from a religious background in the south who felt the need to explore a world alien to that upbringing and why she would choose to get naked" line.

·
Registered
9,131 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
One of the things that makes this movie work is it's utter lack of "prurience". The fact that it's directed by a woman probably helps. Several times in the movie, characters comment that even though Bettie is frequently naked as a Jaybird - she never acts like she's naked. She apparently didn't have a lascivious bone in her body and was a "nudist" in the truest sense of the word. Bettie's whole attitude - even when she was doing the S&M stuff - was one of pure "fun" and celebration. That's the key to the real Bettie's appeal and Mol puts this quality across beautifully.

·
Registered
9,131 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
ChrisW said:
Hey Zorro - was Bettie Page involved in the production of the movie? Is her name in the credits anywhere?
Chris - This was a rental so I can't check the credits but her name doesn't show up on the IMDb page as a consultant or anything.

·
Registered
2,096 Posts
If I remember right, Bettie was not involved in the production. I believe she did see a final cut of the film before it's release and gave it her blessing.

·
Registered
9,131 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yeah. This movie is for all intents and purposes the anti-"Showgirls". Thank goodness.

·
Registered
4,235 Posts
John P said:
She just a lingerie model. Just a nice girl with a pretty smile who models underwear.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts