Hobbyist Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi to all

Recently I just bought the new Norev 1:18 scale light blue 1963 Corvette model, and my first impression was that this is beautiful model, however not accurate! The split window on the model differs from the real counter part, meaning, on the real car where the top of the center post that separates the rear glass, it comes to a soft curve, where as on the model, it comes to a sharp angle! And the hub caps are not accurate either on the model, on the Corvette model the knock off spinner is a two bar, however on the real Corvette it's a 3 bar spinner. There may be more inaccuracies on the model I may not know about yet, but I am pointing out a couple that should not be! Now my question is, how could Norev fail on getting this car right, when there is plenty of references out there for them to go by, to get it right??

· Administrator
51,498 Posts
Sounds like a nice model! Looking forward to seeing photos of it when you have them.

I used to be an NCRS judge, so I will address a few of your questions about the model details.

They should have been able to make a soft curve in the split rear window at this scale.but each corner of both glass sides are really a different curve shape. Also their model designers may have chosen a newer Corvette model to base their model design off of which had been retro fitted with the split window piece over the now one piece glass rear window. Most of these were custom fabrications and it was easiest (and cheaper) to make square corners at the inside top instead of the rounded curved one. Especially when the 2 piece glass design and trim pieces were no longer available as replacements. (They are all available again now though.)

Vehicle Car Hood Automotive lighting Automotive design

The earliest production run of the 1963 models did come with 2 bar spinners. Later on they switched to the 3 bar spinner design. Like Hot Wheels - Chevrolet used up left over parts and pieces from their inventory as was available. So both types would be technically correct. The VIN# is used to make that determination of which version they should be fitted with. I cant find my C2 Judges reference book for the exact transition #. Also Chevrolet would often test fit parts and prototypes during the production run so a 3 bar spinner design could have also been found early on as well.

Often the new owners switched these parts out early or later on with different owners to make them more desirable (valuable) when it came time to resell them. Or just their personal preference to have the newest version.

So; whenever, this model casting was being developed from a 1:1 example - it may had the early period correct 2 bar spinners, but they could have also have been reproductions as restorations occurred over time as well. If you have ever been to an NCRS judging event you may have noticed that a least one hub cap is off the wheel in the C2 classes so that the inside part number identification can be seen by the Judges. Especially at higher level events or awards.

You can though probably find 1:18 wheels sets with a Chevy 3 bar spinner if that is what you want to depict as a later production run model or how your car looks now or looked then.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts