Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
I never thought the 73 Caprice wagon would see the light of day! Hoorraaayyy! :p
Good job JL! Can't wait to get that one and many 'extras'. Finally we collectors get an example of a full size wagon from the 70s and especially an example of a full size 1971-1976 GM car.

Our good friend Swifty will love this one for a demo derby candidate! I myself will be included in derbytizing this car as well.

crafty in a joy of delight

·
Registered
8,373 Posts
Was really looking forward to the wagon. This and the VW rescue van was keeping my hope alive.

I hope the pictures are not being true to the car but either the windows look way too small of the door area is way too thick. It almost looks like the Truckster from Family Vacation. Maybe it's an optical illusion? Perhaps after paint and woodgrain it will be great as I had hoped.

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
Mark Hosaflook said:
I hope the pictures are not being true to the car but either the windows look way too small of the door area is way too thick. Maybe it's an optical illusion? Perhaps after paint and woodgrain it will be great as I had hoped.
I think is looks pretty close myself. Perhaps it's just my lousy vision.

1973 Caprice Wagon

·
Registered
5,857 Posts
The body of that wagon is wrong. It seems to have been shortened just a little (probably to fit the packaging) and the shortening makes the height stand out as incorrect.

·
Registered
1,787 Posts
:thumbsup: I like the Red Wine Truck. Reminds me of the Shopko and Kentucky Derby Trucks. Can't wait to get it when available. ;) Gary

·
Registered
3,765 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
kanabrew said:
:thumbsup: I like the Red Wine Truck. Reminds me of the Shopko and Kentucky Derby Trucks. Can't wait to get it when available. ;) Gary
I didn't even know RC2 made a truck bed for that casting. It was the first time I seen it. :thumbsup: That's what "The BOLT" should be used for. :thumbsup:

P.S. I hope they tooled a tow truck version too. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

·
Registered
12,345 Posts
Hmm, nothing for me in it, but I hope you guys like the new castings. I don't think anyone will miss any of the ones they are retiring.

·
Registered
3,553 Posts
What do you mean?? That old Eliminator?? Oh, yah, right. Never mind.....

Anyone know how you can get that Red Truck?

·
Registered
3,765 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
70XR7 said:
Anyone know how you can get that Red Truck?
I don't think it's available yet. I checked redtruckwines.com(must be over 21) and they had no info about them. I did become a FoRT while I was there. So I hope they send me a email when they arrive. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
343 Posts
I agree that the '73 Chevrolet wagon looks a bit off. To me, the problem is in the tailgate area. There is not enough arch in the roofline/"D" pillar area. Those '71 to '76 wagons had curved glass that slid up into the roof and the whole rear end had a subtle continuous curve to account for this (as well as for the tailgate sliding down underneath the rear deck). The rear of the JL model looks more squared off - maybe more like a 1970 model year full sized GM wagon. Will have to see the release up close in person though and I am certainly pleased that yet another wagon casting is being produced. Will the '91>'96 Roadmaster or Caprice wagons be next?

·
Registered
5,857 Posts
ranchero said:
I agree that the '73 Chevrolet wagon looks a bit off. To me, the problem is in the tailgate area. There is not enough arch in the roofline/"D" pillar area.
I believe that is related to my comment about it being shortened. They had to lose length and the horizontal component of that arch was a casualty.

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
The A & B pillars on the Chevy wagon don't look right to me, either. The A pillar should disappear down behind the continuous cowl line of the hood and door. Both the A & B pillars should be slanted back further at the top. The front side windows aren't long enough horizontally.

My family drove a '71 Safari for many years, so that roofline (shared w/ the Chevy) is ingrained in my brain.

I always wonder how they (any diecast company) can make proportional errors when all you have to do is look at some good pictures to see the actual car, and then project side, front, rear, and top views onto the soft prototype before the design is finalized. Even some of the dealers brochures from those years had a series of pure side views of all their car models on the back cover.

The most important thing I learned at my first job is "Do it right the first time."

·
Registered
5,857 Posts
BluntFronts said:
I always wonder how they (any diecast company) can make proportional errors when all you have to do is look at some good pictures to see the actual car, and then project side, front, rear, and top views onto the soft prototype before the design is finalized.
The only way they can make a correctly proportioned car and have it fit in their package is to make it smaller than 1/64th. Everyone always complains when they cut back the scale so they stick with the same size but they actually modify the design, shrinking certain details, stealing space from some and not from others. That leaves a car that looks at first glance to be 1/64th but upon closer inspections, many details are not quite right.

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
I would have hoped that when JL designed the tooling for the new blisterpacks that they would have thought to make the size of the bubble that holds the cars be adjustable to accomodate a range of 1/64 car sizes. It is the 21st century, after all!

·
Registered
972 Posts
I agree, the roof looks a bit off, but, to me it looks that way more because the rear windows don't fit closer to the pillars, not sure. The rear wheel opening looks a bit off to me as well. I notice two holes in the roof, I suppose that means a surf wagon? I hope they make a stock one and not just those with lousy tampos all over them. Even with the slight roof and rear wheel opening irregularities, I still am glad they decided to go ahead with this casting.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts