Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
760 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I read an article somewhere and I can't find it now. It was about how Matt Jeffreis designed the Enterprise and in the article was the story about the NCC-1701 number of the Original Enterprise. If I remember correctly, the story was the Matt Jeffries took the number off his Airplane and it was something like NC17701. Or something simular.

Does anyone know the article? And if you don't know the article, would anyone know what the Plane number actually was? If that is where it came from.

I ask because in one of my explainations about hull numbers that I am using in an upcoming Scale Model Show, I meantion it, and want ot be accurate as all possible.

:wave: :confused:

·
Registered
760 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I that article I read, it said something else. I always thought it stood for Navel Commission Contract. Or it could be. Nice Cruiser comin!! LOL..... Get it... It was a Cruiser.... LOL. (why do I hear crickets?)

:freak:

·
Registered
409 Posts
There are so many stories on where the number came from. Makes you wonder if anyone truely remembers. What I have found interesting is that the movie Forbiden Planet was supposed to be the one that "Started it all" according to some slogan I remember. Anyway, right at the begining of the movie, the commander says for teh log that they dropped out of Hyperspace at 17:01 hours. Kind of makes me wonder:) :confused:

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
^ Interesting. I'd heard that the color-coded uniform idea was borrowed from forbidden planet. Now that you mention it, I do seem to remember noticing the 17:01. Very interesting thought.

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
Current ICAO aircraft registration prefixes include the letter "N" followed by 1 to 5 other characters. The "NC" prefix (along with NL, NR, NS, and NX) is no longer used. The "NC" was however used at that time.

The "N" designates the United States and at the time the second letter designated an aircraft category (example "C" for Standard and "X" for experimental).

The registration NC17701 is an old Weaver Aircraft Company ZKS-7 (enclosed cockpit) biplane of the late 1930s and is considered one of the aircraft types that introduced the aviation to the businessmen of the day.

And the US Army Air Service had trainers that were Curtiss JN-4 Jennys (aka 'Canuks'). Which began in service in 1916. One of these aircraft entered civilian life with registry NC1701.

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
If I remember correctly, in FORBIDDEN PLANET, the only color differences were rank markings. A red circle for the captain, white for the other officers, none for the crewmen. Not sure about where the idea for the different color uniforms came from, but I remember reading that the colors were chosen so the differences would also show up in black and white.

·
Registered
760 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Thanks Ziz, It was a neat reason why he did all that. So I guess his plane did have a close number to the "E", but as he said, it wasn't meant to be that way. But glad to have heard it straight from the Man himself.

BTW, if you watch Forbidden Planet, they are going to Altair. Doesn't McCoy, with Spocks Katra in him, order Altair Water at the Bar when he is trying to charter a space flight back to Genesis?
:confused:

·
Banned
4,621 Posts
According to what MJ said in the Star Trek Sketchbook the number 1701 was chosen because it is easy to see at a distance. Apparently he tried a few number combinations before settling upon the one we all know. And he simply added another "C" to the existing "NC" designation used on aircraft as I understand it.

·
Oxidation Genius
31,239 Posts
The extra "C" was supposedly to signify that russia was also along for the ride in the future. USSR in cyrilic lettering is CCCP.

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
I think one of the things that evolved as Trek developed was the idea that humanity will be much more unified in the future. Right now we are proud Americans, Canadians, British etc. But in the future of Trek, that will still be there but there will be a greater focus on those nations being unified in common pursuit of goals. Hence I think there was a desire to show the Enterprise as not just a "USA-only" vessel. Indeed, that idea progressed into the Federation as a union of planets, not just countries.

Huzz

·
Registered
585 Posts
They also wanted to make it as clear as possible that Starfleet wasn't a military organization. that's why the enterprise doesn't have a NABVY designation for heavy Cruiser.

·
Banned
4,621 Posts
^^ Oh, Dear Lord, not this subject again.

Starfleet is for all intents and purposes a military organization. But it is an evolved service that parallels services today in some respects and differs in others.

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
I read somewhere that in the original pilot, all officers except the Captain essentially had equal rank, which is why Pike had two stripes on his sleeve an every one else had one.

As for the STIII, Altair water reference, if I remember correctly, when McCoy tells the pilot he wants to go to Genesis, the pilot refuses saying, "That is planet, forbidden."

EDIT: Did a little research. Turns out even Pike only had one stripe on his sleeve. So they must have been really egalitarian.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts