Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up a Troy-Bilt LXT-1842 with a 18hp B&S engine. I got it used (for a STEAL) and it runs great and cuts clean. But it seems extremely loud to me. Today I decided to look around to see if the muffler was disconnected or had a hole in it, etc. I decided to pop it out to take a look. When I disconnected the muffler I expected to have to disconnect the pipe from the engine...to my surprise it just slid off the pipe and was in my hand. Well I was sure that it must have broke off so I jumped on line to look up the replacement part. To my shock I appears to be two separate pieces and I do not see how the pipe "connects" to the muffler.

So my question is does the pipe just slip in and sit there without any mount?? I can't post a link cause I'm new. But if you google troy-bilt ltx-1842 muffler and click on the parts tree link that will show you the diagram of what I'm talking about. I'm referring to part #26 & #28.

I appreciate any insight!! And apologize for not being able to post the link!

·
Registered
810 Posts
Well, by the looks of the diagrahm, the pipe and muffler are seperate and not cheap!!! I assume the muffler slips over the pipe and is bolted to the frame? How does the muffler look?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The muffler aint pretty but not horrible looking. If you shake it something does rattle in there...not sure what it is bouncing around in there..

·
Registered
6,116 Posts
Yes, on most of these type riding mowers, the muffler just slips into the pipe. The baffles in your muffler have probably come loose and that's what you hear rattling around. A new muffler will probably quiet it down for you.

Best of Luck...:thumbsup:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I appreciate the help...guess it's a new muffler for me! So happy that it is the most expensive lawn mower muffler ever!! HA. Oh well...70 bucks for some quiet yard work is worth it!

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
Get creative, go to your local muffler shop and tell them what you want to do, there is always someone that wants to be creative with the tube bender and the welder, just don't ask it to look or sound like the original. Have a good one. Geo

·
Registered
810 Posts
Get creative, go to your local muffler shop and tell them what you want to do, there is always someone that wants to be creative with the tube bender and the welder, just don't ask it to look or sound like the original. Have a good one. Geo
I thought about getting a glass pack and adapting it.

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
I thought about getting a glass pack and adapting it.
When I was a kid we had a mower with a screw in muffler, 1/2 or 3/4 pipe threads, I ran more configurations of mufflers off that thing than you could imagine, when you have access to the pipe and threader let creativity begin. Have fun and Have a good one. Geo

1 - 9 of 9 Posts