Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Monster Scenes – By A Couple of Rookies

As both of us are new this year to the forum, Roadflea & I have teamed up to put to use all of the wonderful tips & techniques for building & painting figure kits that everyone has so generously shared with us.

It’s our way of saying “Thanks” for all the help that has been given to us and to show how much we’ve learned from each of you.

For this undertaking, we will each be building 3 of the kits in the line as released so far. Since we’re just a couple of rookies getting together to build some monsters, this project is going to take us a while so we hope everyone will be patient with us and share more tips & suggestions with us as we progress along.

It’s a community build so feel free to join us (especially if you’re a rookie) as we build……

The Monster Scenes​

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Frankenstein Part I:

I decided to start our build with the Frankenstein Monster.
Here’s a look at what’s inside the box in case you haven’t opened yours yet:

There are 15 parts molded in “Glow” plastic. Very clean and no flash.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Frankenstein Part II:

Here’s a look at the sub-assemblies:

Nothing fancy. I cemented the arms, legs, & torso halves together with Tamiya Extra Thin Cement and when dry used my knife to scrape down the seams then used various grades of sandpaper to clean everything up. The underside of each arm had a hole in them so I filled these with Aves (which was my first time to use this stuff and it is great!) I decided to cement the arms in place & used Tamiya Basic Putty to fill the seams around the shoulder area.

I’m really amazed that I got this far so quickly. I’ll be back soon to let you know how the priming and painting go. Any suggestions on a good color scheme for the clothing???

A.U.

·
Registered
8,132 Posts
Traditionally Frankenstein ('s Monster) wears black. I finished mine in different shades of "black" with very dark brown boots. To keep the glow look, a wash of dark green enamel paint over the skin gave a nice result. It still glows but you can see the detail.

·
Registered
4,752 Posts
Sounds good guys! Don't forget my video series...which I still have to finish :

I'll have to finish the series when my home computer gets sound again (Screwed up in a repair) and when I get a camera/editing software that works with the computer.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
A Place to Stand

It occured to me while I was preparing the sub-assemblies for priming that my choice of the straight leg option would make the kit base pretty useless. So after a little thought and drumming up a little courage, I decided to do something that I have never done before….I decided to make my own.

I couldn’t seem to find any references of what a dungeon floor would look like so using a rectangular piece of piece of balsa foam & a little artistic license, I carved out a simple, stone block floor to use as a base for the figure.

While very generic in appearance, I am happy with the way it turned out and think once i get it painted it will make a nice, sturdy base for the figure to stand on. More importantly though, I tried something new!

A.U.

·
Registered
322 Posts
HI ALL just to prove i am going to contribute LOL i got my pendulum opened this eve . AU will be way ahead of me so be patient with me i have to go get a 2nd pain block injection that will have me down and out tom but will try to get some glue time in i will give them a bath tonight so they will be dry tom if i get upstairs

yes i know the pics are bad my wife will be on the camera after this LOL

1 - 20 of 78 Posts