Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Its amazing just a few short years ago there was not to much life with the Star Trek models. Talk about a turnaround, since Round 2 acquired the Star Trek license I have had my interest in many A.M.T. Star Trek models reenergized. I am also doing much more model building then I have in the past. Now I say this do you think when the 1/350 Original U.S.S. Enterprise hits the hobby shelves soon. We will have perhaps one of the best selling Star Trek kits of all time. Ertl once said the Star Trek model license is the most successful model kits licenses in history. I think the sales of the 1/350 Original Enterprise may shatter sales records. On the 25 anniversary Star Trek Special in 1991 was when the person from Ertl made that comment about how well the Star Trek models sold. Guy Schlicter.

·
Banned
4,621 Posts
I've no idea how successful the 1/350 will be, but I do sense something of a renaissance happening. Star Trek kits have never been better than now. Repops have been improved to some extent and we're getting new kits that put what we had decades ago to shame in terms of quality.

On the downside is the apparent overall decline in interest in model making. A lot of young'uns today have interests elsewhere. 3D modelling is fine, but it doesn't replace the tactile experience of having it in your hands. An actual physical model is truly interactive in a way 3D modelling and computer games are not and might never be.

·
Registered
288 Posts
I've no idea how successful the 1/350 will be, but I do sense something of a renaissance happening. Star Trek kits have never been better than now. Repops have been improved to some extent and we're getting new kits that put what we had decades ago to shame in terms of quality.

On the downside is the apparent overall decline in interest in model making. A lot of young'uns today have interests elsewhere. 3D modelling is fine, but it doesn't replace the tactile experience of having it in your hands. An actual physical model is truly interactive in a way 3D modelling and computer games are not and might never be.
I disagree. Look at all the model companies there are now. Moebius, Pegusas, Round 2, Monarch, Dencomm and on and on. I believe there is a resurgence in modeling. I hope it stays alive and well way into the future!!! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
314 Posts
I believe the sales of the 350 E will be phenominal!!! I hope so, so R2 keeps making more NEW trek kits!!
I hope so too. I'd also like to see some new kits.
However, the price tag that's been mentioned will keep some folks away from this kit. $150 for the initial release of this kit is too steep for me, I'll wait for the general release that doesn't have all the extras. BUT, if the general release kit is still over $100 I may just pass it up.
I know prices have gone up on all sorts of thing, but having this kit be twice the price (or more) of the last 1:350 kit won't help sales. I hope I'm wrong, I hope it will be affordable, but until I see it on the shelf and see the price tag for myself I'll hold off my my decision to buy.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Models cost have have gone up though the roof in the last few years and kids would rather spend thier 30 to 50 dollars on other things.In fact if something is not changed soon the hobby is more than likely going die with us.

·
Banned
1,992 Posts
It's up to us to save our Hobby. The reason I got started in the hobby was because my Dad and I built my first model together as a weekend project. After that we spent many hours working on projects together. He taught me patience, the value of my talents, the skills developed later,....at a snails pace.

Take your sons and daughters, turn off the TV, take away the Smart phones, put down the game controlers and teach them! Use the Internet to show them how to research a project. Show them the 'fun' factor. It's our responsibility to pass the torch to new generations.

·
Curmudgeon
6,614 Posts
Take your sons and daughters, turn off the TV, take away the Smart phones, put down the game controlers and teach them! Use the Internet to show them how to research a project. Show them the 'fun' factor. It's our responsibility to pass the torch to new generations.
"You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make it drink."

When our sons were in their early teens they suddenly took note of how much I enjoyed building models and asked me to show them how. They still showed interest after I explained the basics to them, so we made a trip to the local hobby shop where they each chose their first kits. They built those with guidance from me, each at their own pace, and over the next 4-6 months built a few more. More often than not the three of us worked on our various kits side-by-side, with me showing them whatever tips, tricks, and techniques I'd learned over more than two decades (at that time) of building my own models. After that their interest waned because they felt it was more "work" than "fun", and they each pursued other interests.

My point is, model building is like any other hobby or pastime--the interest is either there or it isn't, and forcing someone to build a model kit won't necessarily generate that interest within them. At best, I think all we can really do is lead by example, be mentors when opportunities arise, and hope they catch "the bug".

·
Registered
557 Posts
I believe the sales of the 350 E will be phenominal!!! I hope so, so R2 keeps making more NEW trek kits!!
I really hope so. As much as I adore the TOS-E, I wish R2 and other companies would branch out and do other kits, not keep coming back to the same old thing ad nauseam.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts