Hobbyist Forums banner

21 - 40 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Thanks for posting...You got some cooooooool stuff...!!! Really like the CAT stuff myself...Some great engineering on the builds...!!! RM
The Caterpillar is my favorite build. I spent a lot of time on the web researching vehicles like the dust control truck for ideas. There is another top 2 build to me that I didn’t post those pics yet.

·
Premium Member
2,329 Posts
Really like all of your creations & dioramas! You have inspired me to covert my Tyco green dumb trucks to flatbeds & military vehicles. Great innovations & builds ... keep them coming. Like yourself hunt through the dies cast pegs for plastic bodies. The Hot wheels Hummer is all plastic just alot of internal unneeded plastic to be removed. Keep watching for future builds. ..RL

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Really like all of your creations & dioramas! You have inspired me to covert my Tyco green dumb trucks to flatbeds & military vehicles. Great innovations & builds ... keep them coming. Like yourself hunt through the dies cast pegs for plastic bodies. The Hot wheels Hummer is all plastic just alot of internal unneeded plastic to be removed. Keep watching for future builds. ..RL
I inspired you? I am not worthy!!! :)

Thanks BUT I want to thank you for inspiring me (also several others customizers on this forum) to do customs. Your mods has so much details especially the recent refueling truck, NY Desert Rat jeep and the red cross truck. Too much skill needed and work for me! From your pics, I purchased the Metal Machines set (plastic bodies instead of metal which I love) and the plastic HW Racing white mid engine vehicle but I didn’t mod them yet. I did steal your ideal on the Hotwheels Batmobile since I am a fanatic Batman collector too. Actually, the HW Batmobile is the FIRST ”diecast” I worked on and it started my diecast to slotcar obsession! I modifed a blue Batmobile on an original 4 Gears chassis. I have a fear and a lack of knowledge to measure, cut and what type of glue to use for the post. That is why, I never did any tjet post mods too and I just concentrated on the TYCO US1 trucks. For the Batmobile, I created a side mount instead. Well, the side mount is such a tight fit that I have to cut it out if I want to remove the chassis. Stupid rookie error. I also purchased 2 more to paint them in Gunmetal and flat black. It is on my queue and the queue is a mile long. Oh well. I have saved SO many of your custom pics on my IPAD for reference over the years.

Thanks for the tip on the plastic HW Hummers which I surprisingly learned about a year ago. I have several in metal and I didn’t have the correct dremel disc cutter. Please let me know of any other plastic vehicles that can be modified in the future.

This is the perfect segue to the next post on Hummers.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Hotwheels Hummers to TYCO US1 Conversions.

Since XracerHO mentioned Hummers, let’s check them out.

I am a bit of a hoarder. I admit having a toy addiction problem. At the time, I took the following pics, I had 3 Hummers. I have accumulated a lot more since as you will see at the end of this post.

here’s a breakdown of the mounting clip.

Once I learned a diecast body is plastic and can be customized, I go crazy to hunt them down usually on EBAY except for the two recent Army Hummers from Target. The Spiderman Hummer is a Radio Shack mini RC Zip Zaps. I will share those conversions in the future. The Zip Zaps have great details and nice for customizing.

I modified the yellow one to have a slightly higher stance to accommodate stomper tires on a regular US1 chassis.

·
Premium Member
2,329 Posts
Awesome mounting clips & quick work on the body mounting of Hummers plus great engineering in all your conversions! Will watch for Zip Zap conversion & advise of plastic bodies spotted. Continue to watch your posts.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
I went to Target today. The new Hotwheels chrome Batmobile from “The Batman” show snuck into the shop and jumped the queue of the 8 vehicles that are currently in progress. Let’s see how it fits! Any input is welcome especially for the rear tire choice and stance. The blue Batmobile was converted a while ago.

Time to grind off the post over the rear axles and thin out the rear post.

Unfortunately, the HW body is very low profile and the 4 gears chassis is too high unlike the blue Batmobile which has a very good fit and stance.

Here I used my home made stomper silicone tires to fill the rear wheel well. It is a bit too wide. I like the rib details of the stomper tires. Maybe I can make a low profile stomper tires. More projects i don’t need. I can share my home making tire experiences in future post. I am still learning and still in the discovery stage. I appreciate all the after market tire makers out there! Thank you Dr. Oogan for making top-shelf Reproduction Stomper tires!

Here’s it with original AFX dried out 4 Gears wide dragster tires. Not bad and need to grind the rear wheel well a tiny bit. It will have a dragster look with the nose down.

Here, we have it with Buds HO 4 Gears tires. The stance is decent. Maybe use EpoPutty to fill in the rear wheel well.

Analysis paralysis. What do you guys think? Any other tire choices?

·
Premium Member
2,329 Posts
Suggestion : AW 4 gear funny car tires are approx. 1/2 the thickness of old Aurora dragster tires. See you super glued post in nicely & like new dragster version ! Batman fan too, have to get one ! Just a thought maybe side panels from a donor Blue version could cover chassis OR donor side of Funny car with exhaust showing IMHO.
Really like your dragster Batmobile!

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Suggestion : AW 4 gear funny car tires are approx. 1/2 the thickness of old Aurora dragster tires. See you super glued post in nicely & like new dragster version ! Batman fan too, have to get one ! Just a thought maybe side panels from a donor Blue version could cover chassis OR donor side of Funny car with exhaust showing IMHO.
Really like your dragster Batmobile!
Oh! I like that idea of a side panel. Maybe a resin copy or something like you said.

NOPE! This was just a test fit. I didn’t attempt to cut or glue a post yet! I afraid! :) I still need to strip the chrome off. i don’t even know if I even have any post material. What is the ID and OD of the styrene rod you use for a post?

Thanks for the tip on the tire. I know I need to try different tires and dont think I have any 4 Gears except for the current AW cars with the low profile tires which is too small. I will take another look since I dont really collect many of the original 4 gears. Was thinking of going back to Target to look for the Hotwheels Real Riders for it’s wheels. I need to get a vehicle that has larger rims and tires for the back and smaller tires for the front. Maybe a HW Bone Shaker or something. For now, this batmobile will go on the back burner so that I can research. I am trying to finish the 8 vehicles on my messy desk. Some of these cars is in progress for over a year. Many trucks keep jumping the line.

I can’t wait until you modified this Batmobile So that I can steal your ideals. hehe..

·
Premium Member
2,329 Posts
The shop uses evergreen scale model Tubing Item #224 Tube 1/8 inch ( .125 DIm. 3.2 mm) 5 pieces . It is a little small so Pre-screw at one end completely (tube will expand) then cut approx. length needed (longer than needed) then screw to chassis(front post 1St). Test fit & test fit & cut to size you desired size. Then rear post same procedure until happy with stance. Super glue front post to body. hold together use accelerator or until set. Carefully unscrew. body. If attached then use super glue fully around post & body attachment & add small pieces around bottom of post And/or gel super glue for support ..let cure & repeat to rear post. Easier Support way: Drill hole in small flat plastic waste so it can be slide easily over tube down to attachment point & super glue to tube & body for reinforcement at attachment point. Same on rear post (most times to rear body panel). Try on scrap body to learn.

view sample below

Sorry for Long explaination, experiment & you will figure it out. If not perfect cut off, sand smooth & flat & start again.
Good luck BFN ..RL

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
The shop uses evergreen scale model Tubing Item #224 Tube 1/8 inch ( .125 DIm. 3.2 mm) 5 pieces . It is a little small so Pre-screw at one end completely (tube will expand) then cut approx. length needed (longer than needed) then screw to chassis(front post 1St). Test fit & test fit & cut to size you desired size. Then rear post same procedure until happy with stance. Super glue front post to body. hold together use accelerator or until set. Carefully unscrew. body. If attached then use super glue fully around post & body attachment & add small pieces around bottom of post And/or gel super glue for support ..let cure & repeat to rear post. Easier Support way: Drill hole in small flat plastic waste so it can be slide easily over tube down to attachment point & super glue to tube & body for reinforcement at attachment point. Same on rear post (most times to rear body panel). Try on scrap body to learn.

view sample below

Sorry for Long explaination, experiment & you will figure it out. If not perfect cut off, sand smooth & flat & start again.
Good luck BFN ..RL
Thanks for the wealth of info! It’s Not long at all. I will look for the post rods in my stash and I got tons of dollar tree super glue. If I don’t have it then I will buy the exact same item number as yours. Good idea on test on scraps to see if my gluing techniques will hold up. I love how you use you shop diorama to display work in progress. Very nice! I gotta get my shop going. I am starting to buy equipment and they are expensive especially the Greenlight Weekend Mechanic stuff but I gotta find a “rental space“ first. I also like “Back at the shop” setup. His shop is So high end and SO CLEAN! My desk is a mess with my projects in progress.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 · (Edited)
My 1st and 2nd TYCO US1 Dump Truck conversions.

For the past several days, the Mod Shop has been very busy working until 2-3am on vehicles on the long waiting list. I will share pics when each are completed.

In the meantime, here are my first two TYCO US1 customs. I got the ideal for the fuel truck from an EBAY seller named “jeep* something that made a lot of his custom trucks with Hotwheels and Matchbox plastic parts. He got me started into US1 customs with plastic parts from diecasts. I then started buying TONS of Hotwheels and Matchbox with usable plastic bits. Unfortunately, these were older diecast vehicles and available on EBAY at high prices. Buying a “used lot’ of these trucks cut down on cost. XracerHO got me into my first diecast conversions starting with the Hotwheels Batmobile.

This fuel tanker is from a 2006 Matchbox Utility Truck Aviation Fuel. The US1 dump truck was the typical green dumpster truck which used be for $12-$16 with chassis on EBAY but NO MORE. Even these green ones are going for $30-$40 each with chassis.

I used stock Testors Aztec airbrush paints with a cheap starter Paasche airbrush kit. You know the red plastic airbrush as pictured below.This was my the first time airbrushing and didn’t want to spend money on a better airbrush. After a couple of customs, I purchased the Paaache H single action which is good for me. It is very simple like the starter airbrush and it is easy to use and to clean.

I just started collecting the original TYCO US1 vehicles about 4-5 years ago and I wanted to collect everything. At the time, I couldn’t justified spending about $100-$120 for the lighted white dump truck with the brown dumpster. I decided to make an inspired one first. I know it can’t beat the original but it is just plastic and airbrush paint. If it is no good then soak it in the Super Clean “purple pond” and start over!

For non TYCO US1 collectors, I labeled the original in the pic below. US1 collectors all know which one is the fake.

It was my first time painting stripes and oh what a pain! I had to touch up 6-7 times and the stripes are still wonky. I kept saying to myself, “it’s good enough”. Having something is better than having nothing, so I lived with it. About a year later, I purchased the original for I think $160.

·
Part Time Painter/Racer
8,719 Posts
Good looking trucks...!!! I like the US 1 stuff myself...the dump also makes a cool roll back, just remove the bed and add a flatbed...RM

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Good looking trucks...!!! I like the US 1 stuff myself...the dump also makes a cool roll back, just remove the bed and add a flatbed...RM
Thanks!

Yes, definitely a great idea. I purchased so many Hotwheels and Matchbox rollbacks & tow trucks but they haven’t made it to my custom list yet. So many other customs suddently cut in line. It depends on what the shop wants to work on but I am itching to work on the tow truck and flat bed trucks.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 · (Edited)
Matchbox Desert Thunder V16 to TYCO US1 conversion.

The shop is still busy with current projects and these Desert Thunder V16 vehicles are prior conversions.

After I made the orange one with the Matchbox decals, I decided to make 3 more for Jurassic Park, US Army and Cobra, the enemy of GI Joe.

Took each apart and grind out the inner part structure to make room for chassis. Cut off and use the original front the rear bumpers. Cast the side storage bins to hide the side clip mount points.

Trim the rear metal post to make room for slotcar chassis and styrene mount clip.

Here are the other 3 vehicles to be assembled after the two blue ones were repainted.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 · (Edited)
USPS TYCO US1 customs: Switch Track, Semi Truck and Jeep.

These are prior customs. I was inspired to make them after buying a USPS trailer terminal, crate loader and unloader from EBAY seller ninjaku-prime for around $100.

I just noticed in the pics that the jeep window frames are yellow. I must have missed it with the airbrush. Also, the text on the USPS sign is not perfectly straight. Oh, well!

I still need to create USPS van, short box truck and long trailer some time in the future. It is on the LIST but I need to get inspired to complete them. There are too many higher priority items being worked on in the shop.

I had a lot of problems covering the red plastic with white Badger stynylrez and then Testors Aztec white airbrush paint. I then painted with a layer of Krylon White but it still had a red/pink hue. I spray more Krylon white but had some pink. I then cover it with Tamiya white primer and Tamiya white paint which seem to be the whitest.

On my current project to repaint another firehouse to white, I used Tamiya white primer but I can still see red. Then I sprayed Tamiya grey primer which covered all the red, yeah! I sprayed Tamiya 2 layers of white primer from spray can to cover the grey primer and then top coat of Tamiya matt white from spray can but it still looks a hint of grey. More like off white on the light light grey side. I then spayed with Testors Aztec white airbrush paint and maybe became a bit whiter. I still see some light gray.

Does anyone has a better combination of primer and white paint to cover red in one shot?

·
Administrator
35,136 Posts
Matchbox Desert Thunder V16 to TYCO US1 conversion.

The shop is still busy with current projects and these Desert Thunder V16 vehicles are prior conversions.

After I made the orange one with the Matchbox decals, I decided to make 3 more for Jurassic Park, US Army and Cobra, the enemy of GI Joe.

Took each apart and grind out the inner part structure to make room for chassis. Cut off and use the original front the rear bumpers. Cast the side storage bins to hide the side clip mount points.
View attachment 318004

Trim the rear metal post to make room for slotcar chassis and styrene mount clip.
View attachment 318005

View attachment 318006

Here are the other 3 vehicles to be assembled after the two blue ones were repainted.
View attachment 318002

View attachment 318007

View attachment 318008

View attachment 318009
Those are cool! But the diecast baby shed a few tears.

Reactions: tjetken

·
Premium Member
2,329 Posts
Like all the Desert V16 trucks & USPS Truck w/ Jeep. Your cool conversion of US 1 trucking stations to USPS & other building is impressive & great ideas. ..RL

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
Like all the Desert V16 trucks & USPS Truck w/ Jeep. Your cool conversion of US 1 trucking stations to USPS & other building is impressive & great ideas. ..RL
Thanks! I am going back in time and go thru your post starting with # 1 then I will hit the other heavy hitters on this site. I am taking notes as I go. I just can’t believe how many customs you, Hilltop and others on this forum has done!

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
Lowes trucks on the TYCO US1 platform: Semi and short flatbed truck.

These are prior customs and I still have to make a long flatbed trailer and a box trailer for the semi truck.

21 - 40 of 53 Posts