Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have been collecting AFX and TYCO slotcars since the 70’s. I just started to collect the US1 vehicles 3-4 years ago. I have been inspired by customizers on this forum and also by sellers of custom US1 trucks on Ebay. I started to customize TYCO US1 trucks 2-3 years ago. I always wanted a Firetruck for the US Army but I didn’t want to repaint an original US1 Firetruck. Below is my latest custom that I just completed today. It is a Hotwheels chrome Fire Eater truck. The chrome was stripped with Super Clean for several minutes leaving the decals intact, surprisingly. I was going to paint it Tamiya Olive Drab but the color of the plastic was a grey green so I left it. The body was too narrow and I had to use a Dremel to take off 1-1.5mm on each side to make room for the chassis. I used a mini drill press to route the 2 slits on each side for the US1 chassis. For the hole on the driver side, I used MEK Subsitute solvent to fuse the 1.5mm styrene patch to the body. Added a layer of “styrene glue” on the inside to make the patch stronger. To cover the patch on the driver side, a reusable thermoplastic was used to mold/copy the hose valve from the TYCO US1 Firetruck. Also made a resin copy of the front bumper in black. Used Super glue gel to attach the resin hose/valve to the styrene patch And clear hot melt to attach the

After the chrome was stripped with Super Clean Degreaser for mins, the original decals were suprisingly still there. Normally, if you leave it in Super Clean long enough, it will disolve all chrome and the decals.
Patched the hole on the driver side And reinforced the patch with styrene glue.

Made a mold of a TYCO US1 firetruck’s hose water dial panel.

Made a resin copy and cut a smaller section to cover the white styrene patch.

Repainted the hoses and tools with black paint to complete the conversion.

·
Administrator
35,136 Posts
Very nice job all around! I'm also surprised to hear the decals stayed while the chrome vanished! 🤙

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Here’s a Hotwheels 85 Ford Bronco Real Riders truck conversion to TYCO US1. Had to create a custom styrene clip to attach the metal body to the chassis. The Highway Patrol action station was purchased from Ebay seller ninjku-prime. I have completed 68 TYCO vehicles and action stations and I realized that I can’t customized everything. My list to make grows every week so sometimes I need to buy completed items.

Used PCB drill bits to enlarge the opening of the Hotwheel’s rims To fit the TYCO axles.

Components of styrene pieces to make the custom clip.

·
Administrator
35,136 Posts
Another nice conversion! 🤙

And we have all the time you have available to show us the others....

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Next is a Matchbox armored truck to TYCO US1 conversion. The wheel base of the US1 chassis was lengthen to accommodate the longer wheel base of the Matchbox body.

Made resin copies of the front and rear bumpers.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Caterpillar: Semi truck, gravel trailer, Dust Control, Dump, Cement Trucks, Service Van, loader, unloader, trailer terminal and garage.

The Hotwheels Dust Control tank is longer than the base of the dump truck so we need to lengthen the body.

Extended the body, added mount points and 2 screw holes to mount the tank’s 2 post.

·
Premium Member
2,329 Posts
All great conversions & really like your Caterpillar trucks & buildings. Keep posting your creations! ..RL

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
All great conversions & really like your Caterpillar trucks & buildings. Keep posting your creations! ..RL
Thanks! I want to thank you for inspiring me (also several others customizers on this forum) to do customs.

Ask and you shall receive :)

Next is a Matchbox Terrainiac. I was going to paint it OLIVE Drab for my US Army collection BUT I just love the original colors. I purchased 3 more from EBAY to mod in the future but I learned that after doing one diecast, it is difficult to redo the same truck. It is quite tedious to make one conversion.

Cut up the body to make molds and to cast resin pieces. I can use the orignals but I figured I will have to do 2-3 more in some future. It is a pain to cut out the pieces And sand them to fit.

Cut out most Matchbox body material and created a box to cover the US1 silver rear weight. Yeah, I am plain insane to add extra work but it also centers the body onto the chassis.

I casted resin front, rear and side shocks to hide the mount clip.

here’s a breakdown of all pieces to assemble.

·
Part Time Painter/Racer
8,719 Posts
Thanks for posting...You got some cooooooool stuff...!!! Really like the CAT stuff myself...Some great engineering on the builds...!!! RM

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Next is a Hotwheels Unimog. I love this casting! Used the real rubber Hotwheels rims and tires to retrofit them onto the US1 chassis.

I think I made a boo boo. I should not have cut the hotwheel base structure in half and I had to reattach them. I felt it was easier to gut the Hotwheels structure with the base cut in half.

Added side clips and boxed structures to hide the silver weight on the US1 chassis.

Here’s a better view of the side mount clip.

Painted the cab Tamiya Olive Drab and it’s my 1st time to stencil the US Star. it was a pain to cut out the stencil. I usually use the waterslide HO scale US stars BUT I wanted to tried something different. I also made resin copies of the front and rear bumper. The Street Fighter paint was stripped with Easy Off oven cleaner in a zip lock bag. I used the toxic smelling Yellow can.

Created gas tanks to hid the side clips from another Hotwheels truck. Also in the picture is my attempts at recreating the US1 front grills with resin.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The first time I saw a John Deer custom semi truck and barn on EBAY was from a Canadian seller. I can’t recall his name at the moment. He does fantastic work but I couldn’t afford to buy it so I made my own set by sourcing similar components.

Next, I cut up the dumpster to make a short flatbed to carry a tractor. Also had to shorten the John Deer tractor’s axle. It was too wide for the flatbed.

created a plow out of styrene. Also, the dumpster had broken mud flaps and I recreated them from styrene.

I also created a semi truck but I didn’t get a chance to create a long flatbed tractor trailer yet since I couldn’t decide on painting it black or green. Analysis paralysis!

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for posting...You got some cooooooool stuff...!!! Really like the CAT stuff myself...Some great engineering on the builds...!!! RM
Thanks again. I am really slow at building stuff since I over think and keep dwelling over the smallest details. I have to keep telling myself to not go for perfection. Have something is better than nothing!

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
Thanks NTxSlotCars! I have gotten ideals from members on this site and other forums. There was a guy selling on ebay with a name of ‘jeep’ something. From him, I got the ideal of using Hotwheels and Matchbox plastic bits to make my creations.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
OK, the US Army wants to show their might. The COBRA team may be lurking about too. The following first three pictures started my obsession on making military US1 trucks.

My 1st set of sticky decals were made from text printed on plain paper with a laser printer. Used doubled sided tape and covered it with transparent tape to make a sticker.

US Army barrel loader, gravel trailer and van.

COBRA’s dump truck and barrel loader.
MSPaint= MicroSoft paint used to create some images. Then loaded to Power Point to print. Printing via MSPaint stinks.

PP=MicroSoft Power Point used to create and print the decals with the color codes.

Fuel tanker truck for the US Army and COBRA. I also made a UNION 76 and a Hotwheels FINIZZA water tanker truck at the same time.

Used a 4” disc sander to evenly grind down the rear of the dump truck.

The turquois truck was my 1st tanker truck custom. Note the hack job with a dremel. Much cleaner grinds with the 4” disc sander I gotten used from EBAY.

End of Part 1 of 4.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
Part2: Continuation on US ARMY and COBRA.

Several more COBRA vehicles In the making. The COBRA team stole a jeep and an amored vehicle. They are up to no good.

The COBRA armored pickup truck was made from an IDEAL TCR slotless set. Had to create custom mounts to attach the US1 chassis. Made molds of front/rear bumper and gun from hotwheels to create resin copies.

Here are all of my current COBRA creations.

Of course, we need a set of vehicles for ARBCO which is a front company Cobra uses as a cover for many of its evil activities.

End of part 2 of 4

1 - 20 of 53 Posts