Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10,947 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I hope you guys are not tired of "Sunoco" Blue, (was the color of the last car I posted) because I'm forcing more of it upon you! Thanks to our own Vadim of Apason Distributors, I had a large box on my doorstep today and it was Christmas in June! Here is the first goodie from that box, in all of it's big blue glory!

This is Spark's new 1969 Chevy Camaro as piloted under the able hand of Mark Donohue to the 1969 SCCA (Sports Car Club of America) '69 Trans-Am series championship!
I am not the only person to buy this car, as I expect S143 members bought a few hundred, but I think I might be the first to receive and post photos. And while I have a couple of issues with the car, overall Spark did an outstanding job capturing the profile of the real car.

You know I can't post a new car without subjecting you to a bit of trivia and history, so here it is. While the Trans Am series had no recognized drivers championship in 1969, (they did not award that honor until 1972) Mark did present Chevrolet with their second consecutive manufactures title. This replica represents several points worth mentioning. While 1968 saw the introduction of the now revered Z28 model designation, (it also won the title with Mark & Penske) it was the '69 model that featured such recognizable options as the the legendary cowl hood. Z28 was the nomenclature used to simply identify the Trans Am race version of the Camaro which included the brutal 302 c.i. engine for '69. Apparently there was nothing magical at the time in the code, it was simply the next series of number and letters following the previously used Z27. Yet as time will do, history had made the "Z28" almost mythical among Camaro enthusiast. By the end of the '69 season, this car had certainly helped sear that image into the automotive collective.

This model represents the car as it appeared towards the end of the season. Early in the year the car sported a vinyl roof cleverly hiding an overtly acid etched roof. By race 6, the roof had been replaced (at the mandate of the SCCA) but I do not find any photographic evidence of the car wearing the DieHard decal on the C pillar until the end of the year. But that is fine for us, as Mark went on a tear winning 6 of the finale 7 races that year securing the title. So for our purposes, I submit a photo from the last race of the 1969 season (Riverside, California) clearly showing the car as Spark has modeled it.

This was the last race in which Mark and team owner Roger Penske would field a Chevy in the sedan series. They returned in 1971 to win the title for AMC (American Motors Corporation) with the Javelin. Penske sold this car to Roy Woods who continued to campaign it through several more season. The car is still active in vintage road racing here in the US and is rumored to recently have changed hands for 1 million dollars!

Now about the model it's self. Overall I applaud Spark's superb effort. Most '69 Camaros models are far to long and low, both in roof line and ride height. That is not the case with this casting. I feel they accurately captured the hippy, curvy profile of the car complete with the right stance. I read that Mark love the red accent interior door panels (a requirement was to have stock door panels) and would let know one change them out for a less colorful version, those are included as well!

Again the detail is a comfortable fit for my expectations. My only complaint, and it is a big one, is the horrible job of applying the rear yellow pin striping decal over the wheel arches. Both side are incorrect in their angel and do not even match each other in their incorrectness. They simply are both wrong! If someone can tell me how the fix these I might try it. In also may contact Spark and see if they will supply new decals that I may try and effect a proper repair. I should also add that the wheels are an incorrect color, they need be more the yellow found in the decals.

But that aside, I am thrilled to add this bad boy to the family. In fact this brings my Donohue collection up to 15 different cars. I think I am in toy car heaven!

Ward

·
Registered
19,875 Posts
That's the first thing I noticed was that horrific yellow stripe on the rear qtrs!!! Holy crap, that's just awefull!!! How could a company that produces such amazing gems make such a heinous mistake???
And yeah, the yellow on the wheels is far to light. Another suprizing mistake by such a company. And aren't the side pipes slightly on the small side???
That aside, I too am very impressed, I love it!

The pin striping on the hood seems pretty unique for a race car.
I remember reading about the over acidified roof making it necessary for a vinyl roof. Very cool bit of racing history I read in one of my old magazines.

And don't think for a second that I'm tired of Sunoco blue and yellow, you might remember one of your last threads I was raving about how much I love this color combo - as a matter of fact, I think we should start an all Sunoco thread!:thumbsup: I'd start one, but I don't own one single Sunoco car unfortunately.

You said '69 was the first Z-28 and the first year for the high revving 302, but I do believe it was '68.

I wish I had a fix in mind for the stripe, but I don't. You might try the Customizing board, or contacting the factory like you said is a great idea.

Nice one Ward :thumbsup::thumbsup:
LMX :wave:

·
Registered
10,947 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Thanks Lummox, I just got busted on my lack of automotive history! I know racing...but strangely, I don't know squat about automotive history! Thanks for pointing it out, it has been corrected.

We Do need more Sunoco cars, I agree!

·
Registered
10,947 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
LOL! Well said! I love it when guys catch things, thanks for the lead. I have not seen that article though I am very familiar with Piggins. I will change the dates again!

Thanks, Ward

·
Registered
19,875 Posts
Everrybody is wrong here, 1967 was the first year of the Camaro Z28.

http://www.67z28.com/history.htm

Age does have its perks. :)
Ha! Yup, guess I should've put a little more thougt into my incorrect correction!
Should have realized a '67 Z-28 was possible.

Mr. Hugger, in that linc it seems to say a "4-P or 4-L" body stlyes were available for '67. Just what does this designation mean???

·
Registered
19,875 Posts
I see now, thanks.
So it's more of a trim/engine package thing than a difference with the style of the actual body.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts