Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New to the forum and thought I'd say hi. Grandkids have been really getting into the Hot Wheels so I built them up a to scale 1/4 mile 6 lane drag strip to play with. Quickly found that a 2019 "2009 F-150" was easily beating everything else on the track, regardless of lane. And here the madness began to find another car that can beat it. A couple of months into the quest now and have acquired an additional 515 cars without any real luck. Cars range from 1993 to 2020. Even have some FTE's in the mix now. I did get a 2009 casting of the F-150 that is pretty much just as fast. It won one race against the 2019 and then that was it. They do run fairly close no matter what lane but the 2019 always wins by about 1/4 car length. I also have a year 2006 '70 Plymouth Superbird with FTE wheels that beat the F-150 once but it too pretty much always loses the race by about 1/4 car length. None of the other 500 or so cars can come close to it. Today I picked up around 20 new challengers but only two could run within a car length of the F-150, a year 2000 Jeepster was the closes with a year 1998 67 Mustang Convertible being the other fast car out of today's buy.

I really just need to admit that the F-150 is a fast casting and quit spending money trying to beat it....right?

·
Super Moderator
24,326 Posts
Welcome to hobbytalk @jamesdak !

And congrates on the dedication to finding another winning Hot Wheels gravity racer. By now I hope you have found the downhill gravity race section too! Diecast Downhill Gravity Racing

I have had 2 '09 F-150s that were competitive in my box. One I traded to a friend for a race event he wanted to enter and the other is still #3 in the top 24 A class racing box. This was customized with added weight for a mail in event too.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Found my childhood Rocket Bye Baby today in a box of old junk. Didn't know I still had it, my favorite car when I was a kid. Gave it a run down the track for the heck of it. The heavy old beast takes off like nobody's business but get's caught by some of the fast cars in the last segment of track. Doesn't roll as well as the modern cars I guess. I honestly did not remember that I even had this. It's a 1971 Aqua colored one and until I looked it up right now I never knew about the opening vents.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Found a 2012 71 Dodge Demon that keeps just barely losing to the Ford. They pretty much leave the start even and run neck and neck with the F-150 taking it each time but barely. I've got some copies of the suggested cars above heading my way too. Thanks for enabling my "sickness" LOL!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well, early Friday for me so I grabbed some new "challengers" on the way home. Little critters came over and we ran them down the track. I picked up one 5 Pack today and two 9 Packs. When all was said and done the two fast cars out of the batch were a nice looking Mustang Mach 1 and a Formula Fastback. The Mustang was faster than anything on the decline portion of the track but then picked up a bit of a wobbly on the flat final half and just bled off speed. The Formula always ran it down each time right before the finish gate. The Formula just wasn't able to run with the F-150 though. Best finish was 1/2 length behind but the other races saw the ol' truck beat it by more than a truck length.

Some cool finds today, WRX STI, the Mustang, and a Lotus.

I also found this Silver Porsche the the Wiki says is a 2020 yet it has the same tampos on it as my red 2019 version.

·
Registered
2,676 Posts
The silver Porsche is a multipack exclusive for 2020. Multipack exclusives use tampo designs from different years, but use different colors. The blue Mustang and green Lotus are also multipack exclusives.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I like your photo backdrop! (y)

Is it an actual track set up or just a background image? ?
OH, that's actually a Sizzler Track I picked up that I set up temporarily on a table. The plan down the road is to get more Sizzler track when I can and then hopefully build a down hill, multicurve track in the basement for more racing fun. It just may take awhile to get the parts as they seem to go for crazy money most of the time. This is one of the newer tracks sold by Target.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Finally, an IROC Firebird straight out of the blister pack runs with the F-150. It starts slower but then pulls on the truck the 2nd half of the track and actually won pretty much half of the races today. I just kept switching up lanes and the truck would always be first down the inclined section but on the flat 2nd half the IROC would close in each time. Most finishes were too close to tell by eye but the finish gate had them pretty even. Ran about 12 or so races just switching up the lanes. Pretty cool as the IROC isn't really that heavy feeling nor has anything fancy in terms of wheels. But it just rolls really well obviously.

Maybe it's the Goodyear Eagles, LOL!

·
Banned
1,901 Posts
Thanks for the update this is fun reading.

Thinking the F-150 might eventually become slower the more runs it goes.

I heard good things about the Dairy Delivery on the down hill ...

Eric

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well, picked up another 11 cars today at an antique store to run against the F-150. A couple were the torpedo type cars that I hoped would run well since they had a nice heft with exposed wheels. Two of them were FTE cars also but from past experience that does not usually make them fast. Today though I was pleasantly surprised as they were both fast straight out of the blister pack. Once the elimination rounds were run it was apparent that the TRIM TRK was the fastest of them all. The Subaru WRX Torpedo would run close with it but always lost to the TRIM TRK. The I did 12 races mixing up the lanes each time with the TRIM TRK and the F-150. The TRIM TRK won each one but it was really close pretty much each time. The F-150 usually took off with a about a 1/4 length lead but the TRIM TRK would run it down each race. Most times it was so close I had to rely on the finish gate to tell the winner. Anyway, glad to finally find something consistently faster.

Today's finds!

And the new champion in my house!

·
Super Moderator
24,326 Posts
Nice racing report.

Congrats on the new top dog too. Be careful of the exposed wheels they are easy to misalign by bumps or snags or drops to the floor! :)

For a change a pace go back and run some of your previous losing cars backwards and take note of the change in speed and win records. o_O

1 - 19 of 19 Posts