Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Next up. This will be OOTB. I have a light set for another build.

This will be the Monogram kit from the late '90s.

It's the kit on the left.

The parts have been primed with Tamiya fine white primer.

The bottom was painted red and the interior/legs painted gloss aluminum.

I'll mask the center of the bottom and prime and then gloss aluminum.

I've been vacillating on the color. Either blue misted with silver or silver misted with clear blue.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
No new photos, I filled some sink marks. The putty is drying. Then sanding begins.

·
Registered
825 Posts
That's a tough kit to fix up. I'm working on a three-legged version with a different interior. They showed the interior of the saucer twice, and it was slightly different each time. And they just showed the control room and a small part of another room. So I don't feel I need to stick to that the model has laid out.

·
Starship Class
11,890 Posts
I keep hearing "A Quinn Martin production" in my head when I'm looking at pics of this model.

Thanks for the in-progress pics. Great stuff! (y)

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks!

No new photos but I got some more primer on the bottom and a bit of brush on surface prep. I'll sand a bit tomorrow and maybe get a coat of silver on the bottom.

NTRPZ,

I would love to see some photos of your build!

The interior is not too bad considering the limitations. From what I can determine the shape of the saucer is very close to the filming model. The 5 landing gear pattern is established in many shows, but I like your idea for 3.

·
Registered
825 Posts
Thanks!

No new photos but I got some more primer on the bottom and a bit of brush on surface prep. I'll sand a bit tomorrow and maybe get a coat of silver on the bottom.

NTRPZ,

I would love to see some photos of your build!

The interior is not too bad considering the limitations. From what I can determine the shape of the saucer is very close to the filming model. The 5 landing gear pattern is established in many shows, but I like your idea for 3.
Well, the Jupiter II had three landing gear, so that's good enough for me. Actually, I was thinking this could be something like a "command" or "control" saucer.

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I did some spray outs today.

The upper left is Tamiya gloss aluminum the upper right is the gloss aluminum with a clear blue coat.

The lower is blue on the left and mica blue on the right with a GA over spray.

·
Administrator
29,921 Posts
I actually like the mix between 12 and 11 as a nightime/dusk representation. Are there any scenes that would fit to that time of day?

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
MFR,

Yes, the 1st episode and the opening credits have David Vincent seeing the saucer at night.

This is what I want:

Silver with just a tint of blue. I think the clear blue over coat on my spray out is too heavy.

I'm thinking I might end up airbrushing a clear coat with a few drops of clear blue or Future tinted with some blue.
I've never airbrushed future before, but I don't think it can be hard.

I got some gloss aluminum on the ship today. The bottom came out ok but the top still needs work.

I started wet sanding the upper hull.

·
Administrator
29,921 Posts
On my screen that is somewhere around 7 moving a little ways back to 6 but not much....

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
MFR
I know I'm going to feel stupid when you explain, but what are the numbers you are referring to?

Anyway I've been working on the saucer today.

I think I have the final coat of aluminum on saucer.

I've started detail painting.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts